Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2012, 04:14 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,504,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
I am constantly amazed the someone thinks that about to get run over is OK, but shooting the person trying to kill them is "Summary Execution".

It's called self preservation. The person who was shot, chose to put the car in reverse, and attempt to run over someone.

Personally, I see it as suicide by Cop.

Had the person who threw the car in reverse and attempted to run the Sheriff over, simply placed the car in park, and allowed the search and arrest to take place, you and I wouldn't be having this discussion.
Not True The Passenger Was Shot Not The Driver............

Old 12-12-2012, 04:18 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,743,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
With all due respect to your opinion, the perpetrator (killed woman) didn't commit a felony, what she allegedly took was more than likely misdemeanor theft. Unless if this was her third strike, possibly then a felony theft and disobedience of a court order, she was not the shooter, the off duty cop was the shooter, who could be charged with a felony of false imprisonment or unlawfully trying to detain, and possibly a murder two rap.
With all due respect, trying to run down someone with your car is a felony. And if you're sitting in the car as a passenger who's just committed a crime and fleeing the scene of the crime, you are just as culpable legally as the driver. If the driver had run down the police officer and killed him, all three shoplifters could be charged with murder.

As for unlawfully trying to detain, the police officer had reason to detain the women, and, as a police officer, he had the authority to detain them.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:18 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,908,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
With all due respect to your opinion, the perpetrator (killed woman) didn't commit a felony, what she allegedly took was more than likely misdemeanor theft. Unless if this was her third strike, possibly then a felony theft and disobedience of a court order, she was not the shooter, the off duty cop was the shooter, who could be charged with a felony of false imprisonment or unlawfully trying to detain, and possibly a murder two rap.

Toyman probably believes so. Wonder if they'll get the death penalty or life inprisionment?
With respect to your opinion... Once they assaulted him in the store, they had escalated the charges beyond a misdemeanor.. They assaulted a LE officer.. Then they fled.. Another charge, then they assaulted the officer with a motor vehicle.... The officer could possibly be charged, but under the circumstances I really doubt he will be..

Old 12-12-2012, 04:21 PM

13,293 posts, read 9,826,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
He opened the car door to stop them from leaving.

He had already been assaulted by them when they left the building. So traffic stop procedure is completely irrelevant at this point. THEY had already escalated this incident beyond shoplifting.

Again, I'm sure in hindsight, if he knew that the result would be a young woman losing her life, he would have acted differently. I'm sure, in hindsight, that if the women involved knew what the result of their actions would be, that they would act differently. It's tragic that this woman lost her life.

I just don't think the full responsibility of this woman's death lies on the officer. I think the responsibility lies on the woman and the series of choices she made. I think the officer wishes with all his heart that he had acted differently. After all, not only is a woman dead, but truly other people, innocent people, were placed at risk.

I'm also wondering if the woman died instantly, or if she bled out. Because the car left Wal-Mart, and rather than go to the hospital, the driver chose to take Ms Frey back to her apartment.
I'm with you there. Obviously, none of this would have happened had she not done what she did.

But people do. That's a fact of life. And the officer should have known better. It scares me when the intelligent and responsible people react just as recklessly as the criminals. That does not bode well for anybody. And in this situation, as soon as the event escalated, knowing they were on tape and that they had the license plate, his responsibility - IMO - was to make sure it didn't escalate to the point where anyone suffered bodily harm - including he himself. There was just no need to go there for a shoplifting, and I don't think them hitting him with a purse justified him putting people in danger.

There are other ways to catch up with them. Surely he knows that? It wasn't an armed robbery, so I don't see that stopping them from leaving was the appropriate response.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Do we know if the vehicle struck him to some degree at that point? Do we? Don't jump to conclussions....
Even if we believe him, and his life was in grave danger at that moment, he...shot...the...wrong...person. There is not excuse for that.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Do YOU know that the officer in question without a doubt knew there was a child in the car. When the driver attempted to run over the officer in an attempt to flee, the incident was no longer just about shoplifting.. It was about attempted vehicular homicide. The shoplifting then became secondary.. I too am a veteran. I have been in stressful, and in fact insane situations. I know how quickly things can happen and what happens to the human mind under such circumstances. The bottom line is, without the initial crime, there would have been no shots ever fired and this young woman would have gone home with her children.. She made the decision with full knowledge that it could go badly to go ahead and commit that crime. She and her acompliss made the decision to escalate the situation. The officer in question reacted... Would I have handled it differently? I can't in all honesty say that I know... Fact is, neither can you...

Are you aware that sworn Law Enforcement Officers are trained in " The Police Academy To Only Point And Discharge Theirs Fire Arms When They ARE SHOOTING TO KILL " and they are aware of theirs surrounding so as not to KILL INNOCENCE BYSTANDERS.....are you aware...?

Old 12-12-2012, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
Even if we believe him, and his life was in grave danger at that moment, he...shot...the...wrong...person. There is not excuse for that.
Again... Did the vehicle strike him or his arm at the time of the weapons discharge? We simply don't know and we won't until such time as the investigation is complete and reviewed. Maybe so, maybe not.. That's why we are all innocent until proven guilty....

Old 12-12-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
If you have that much confidence in the Houston PD or the Harris County Sherrifs office, you couldn't possibly live in Houston...
Not when they have 26 year veteran like this......!

Old 12-12-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Not when they have 26 year veteran like this......!
Again... Don't jump to conclussions until we know what happened and right now, neither of us really do..

Old 12-12-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
And for all you know, she was already backing out of the space when he opened the car door trying to force her to stop.

I hope there is video of this altercation.

It is so funny when 'your side' constantly accuses 'my side' of NOT BEING THERE BUT KNOWING WHAT HAPPENED, because, guess what, YOU WEREN'T THERE EITHER. Yet 'your side' is just as sure of your conclusion as 'my side'.
Hum that's diplomatic let's both be wrong then..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies