Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 11:53 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Being shot for shoplifting = wrong. That is a disproportionate response to such a crime.

Being shot for attempting to run over an officer = alright. This is a potentially deadly assault that justifies the use of deadly force. Apparently, the person who created this situation was NOT the one getting shot - therefore, I don't think I find this a justifiable shooting.

If it had been the driver who got shot, I don't think this would be in the least controversial.

"She threw it in reverse and tried to run over the deputy,' said Harris County Sheriff's Office spokesperson Deputy Thomas Gilliland."

One of the most ironic statements is this one:
"Shelly was the perfect mom, perfect friend, perfect daughter,' said her father, Shelton Frey."

Sure, I understand that this is coming from the father who obviously can't help but see his daughter in a more positive light than her actions make her out to be. However, taking small children to do some pre-Christmas shop-lifiting doesn't exactly scream "perfect person" at me, especially not if she had a prior criminal history.

All that said, I do not think that shooting into a vehicle with small children inside is a great idea - although I doubt that the officer had time to think this through. I would guess that him shooting at the car was much more a adrenaline-driven gut reaction to being faced with a potentially deadly situation. Unfortunately, it resulted in the death of a person who had done nothing more than shop-lift.
He should not have put himself in harm's way!
Especially over a shoplifter.
Whatever happened to getting the license plate number and calling the police?

Just another idiot with a gun, IMO.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:53 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
1) the average person on this board is either a sociopath, or stupid (i.e. the people saying good. You deserve death for stealing ? what? from wal-mart? seriously?

Guess you missed the part where the car tried to run over him?

Or is attempting to run over someone "good" to you?

Old 12-12-2012, 11:54 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
They committed a crime. Then they tried to get away from the police.
No one would have been shot had the driver turned off the vehicle.

Stop trying to blame the law here. The "victims" put themselves in this situation that ended up with one of them dead.
The cop did not just walk up to the car and start shooting.

These girls did it to themselves and now the driver is responsible for the death of her friend because of her actions.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:55 AM

13,422 posts, read 9,950,386 times
I'm constantly amazed at how all the supposed freedom loving conservatives on this board go into paroxysms of delight over someone being summarily executed at the hands of a government employee without benefit of due process.

Amazed.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
He should not have put himself in harm's way!
Especially over a shoplifter.
Whatever happened to getting the license plate number and calling the police?

Just another idiot with a gun, IMO.
LOL..he is the police. An off duty sheriff working at Walmart.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:56 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
I don't know the laws of that state, but in some, if someone is killed in the commission of a crime, all the accomplices can be charged with murder. Lets hope that happens here.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarius View Post
There are no words for this kind of cruel hate. You should be ashamed.
What would you be saying if they did run over the cop? He should have gotten out of the way?

Old 12-12-2012, 11:57 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Guess you missed the part where the car tried to run over him?

Or is attempting to run over someone "good" to you?
He should not have put himself in harm's way.

That was his own misguided choice.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:58 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
You, however, are clearly incapable of reading and are very willing to jump to conclusions about others even though it is clearly YOU who didn't get the story.

Here's a hint:

The killed woman's name is Shelly Frey.
The driver's name is Tisa Andrews.

Get it now?

In other words, Frey committed nothing other than shop-lifting. The driver engaged in actions threatening the life of the officer. He blindly shot in the car and did NOT kill the driver. He hit and killed a passenger. He could have killed one of the children instead...
Yes, he could have hit a child. And I'm sure that haunts him.

But the women put those children in danger. And if they had run over the police officer, they would have all been charged with a felony. Because they assaulted a police officer in the commission of another crime, stealing.

Ms Frey wouldn't have just been guilty of shoplifting. The women's actions in trying to escape took their criminal activities to another level.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
He should not have put himself in harm's way.

That was his own misguided choice.

He was an on-duty security guard....

He went outside, the DRIVER put the car in reverse and tried to run over him....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies