Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 11:18 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeking View Post

Illegal immigration doesn't help.
What on earth does that have to do with anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 11:19 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,170,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Geography...Most of those cities are in the Central Valley or other valleys which inhibits wind from taking out air pollutants. Much of the rest has to do with heavy industry + water.

Basically if you put a bunch of people in a valley the air quality will suck.
Don't forget that the Central Valley has 2 major freeways connecting norcal and socal. All of those semi trucks traveling through there contributes to the smug

Old 12-12-2012, 11:20 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemdiver View Post
Don't forget that the Central Valley has 2 major freeways connecting norcal and socal. All of those semi trucks traveling through there contributes to the smug
It is also a center for Oil refining which doesn't help either. With that said if it were as flat as Texas it would have fewer air problems since there would be nothing to stop the wind from dissipating all the pollutants.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:21 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
You'd figure they'd be handling business...and all the Liberal hipsters that care so much about the environment..

You'd think they would consume less....

Liberal hipsters don't live in the Valley where Bakersfield, Modesto, Fresno, and Stockton happen to sit. Outside of the Imperial Valley you couldn't find a red area in California or anywhere in the country. It's always been a shiithole and will be that way for generations to come.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:22 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Litter really isn't what I'd consider the worse dirt or even dirt really.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:28 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Liberal hipsters don't live in the Valley where Bakersfield, Modesto, Fresno, and Stockton happen to sit. Outside of the Imperial Valley you couldn't find a red area in California or anywhere in the country. It's always been a shiithole and will be that way for generations to come.
I was just about to say this... I'm guessing the OP isn't all that familiar with California, as most of those cities are inland and conservative. Yup, conservative! So what on earth do "liberals" have to do with anything? I was a bit surprised to see San Jose on there, but if they're basing this on waste & smog I guess it makes sense - given that most of the high-tech companies are here (which produce industrial waste) and it's very congested in terms of auto traffic. But on the surface, it's actually one of the cleaner big cities you'll see.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:30 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
San Diego? Santee? San Jose? (on the list)

Old 12-12-2012, 11:32 PM

Oh, but I knew as soon as I saw the thread title (and when I read the article earlier today) that somebody would try to turn this into a liberal thing. Do people really not know California is like HALF Republican? And if they'd ever looked at maps, both geographical and political, it would be obvious these towns lay within the "red zone." Kinda funny, when you think about it.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
San Diego? Santee? San Jose? (on the list)
San Jose is explained, both in the article and in my comment above... I don't even know where Santee is, and San Diego goes reeaaaaallly far inland (inland county is usually called San Diego too). But the others? Undoubtedly inland and right-leaning. I actually lived in Stockton during my college years, and let's just say there's a reason we refer to it as "the armpit of CA."

Old 12-12-2012, 11:34 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Oh, but I knew as soon as I saw the thread title (and when I read the article earlier today) that somebody would try to turn this into a liberal thing. Do people really not know California is like HALF Republican? And if they'd ever looked at maps, both geographical and political, it would be obvious these towns lay within the "red zone." Kinda funny, when you think about it.
Well, obviously it's a political thing....

It illustrates how all the regulation in the world doesn't help. *shrugs*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies