Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 12:15 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,907,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
No, you didn't. Liberalism used to be basically fiscal conservatism. In most of Europe, it still is. Modern liberals took the term from their social stances and applied it to their economic views as well.
Classical Liberalism is the prototype by which Libertarianism is based on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 12:18 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,978,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post

This!^^^^^^

Old 12-13-2012, 12:21 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,383,953 times
I don't see how you can be a liberal and a libertarian if you support forcing people to join unions or buy healthcare.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:25 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,013,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I don't see how you can be a liberal and a libertarian if you support forcing people to join unions or buy healthcare.
You'd be a liberal and a LEFTIST though

The new "liberal" and or leftist movement is all about "force".

Force to a Libertarian IS a dirty word.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:28 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,733,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
Why do you have to be all one thing or all the other? I am cons. on guns, liberal on abortion and gay marriage. I do not have to subscribe to the whole doctrine of one line of thinking. I thought we left that behind with the torture chamber of the Inquisition.
Because Rush said so!

And I am not talking about the band

Old 12-13-2012, 12:28 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,858,566 times
Quote:
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
fiscally conservative in itself is a subjective term and doesnt even prove your point.

in reality, its fiscally responsible or irresponsible. Liberals didnt steal anything. liberals are well liberal.
Liberals are not liberal. Liberals are liberal in regards to personal freedoms such as gay marriage and abortion. The term "social liberal" is a recent term (coined well after "classical liberalism" was), which is pretty much the economic side of modern plain old "liberalism". The rationale for the terminology being that "the good of the community is viewed as harmonious with the freedom of the individual".

Now, the term has been reduced to just "liberal" which encompasses both social (as in personal freedoms, not socially liberal economic policy) and economic (technically called social liberalism, which is pretty much the opposite of the original liberalism).

Quote:
better explain myself in more detail. Fiscally conservative to day, in the minds of leftist like my self has more to do with where you spend our money rather than how you spend it. If a liberal spends his money a certain way it doesnt make him a conservative it makes him responsible the same as with a conservative.

However conservatives believe that the definition of fiscal responsibility is to be fiscally conservative, thats why i disagree with your premise.
Because you've redefined fiscal conservatism, basically defining it as the modern day Republican party.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
You'd be a liberal and a LEFTIST though

The new "liberal" and or leftist movement is all about "force".

Force to a Libertarian IS a dirty word.
Exactly.
Libertarian is opposite of statism.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:32 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,800,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Mandating health insurance was conservatism not too long ago. Libertarian stance on the subject would be... well, assume that you're on a tropical island. Do, what you can, with your means to take care of your health issues. Left wing idea would be a pronounced involvement of government in regulating health care (at the minimum) and socialized medicine/single payer system (like VA).

As for unions, what is the difference between mandating union membership from attempting to eliminate unions?

Old 12-13-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Yes- the Hippie movement was based on libertarianism-

The hippie movement of the 60s would not be supportive of the Obama administration anymore then the Bush administration.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:38 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,907,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Yes- the Hippie movement was based on libertarianism-

The hippie movement of the 60s would not be supportive of the Obama administration anymore then the Bush administration.
And people whose thought process that have been streamlined by the MSM have no idea that the "anti-tax" faction of America was also the "anti-war" faction that voted Obama into office in 2008.

They are also the ones who abandoned him in 2012....but, they didn't transform into knuckle dragging, mouth breathing racists like many people would like us to believe. They were simply justifiably, pissed off people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies