Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 08:42 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Yes, she had a bad history prior to Benghazi, it wasn't her first time with this.
No, it wasn't. It is convenient to pin it on Benghazi, but, the reality is that there were lots of issues that would have made confirmation very difficult and these existed prior to her acting as "news-reader" for the CIA.

I know that some people feel that that they need to defend her, but, personally, I thought it rather presumptuous of her to officially withdraw her name from consideration so publicly. I wonder if she thought (hoped) that the president would beg her to change her mind.

Oh, well. At least she still has her job at the U.N.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The strangest thing out of all this focus on Behghazi is that the imortant issue is the initial statement by Rice. McCain is more interestedin getting Rice rather than the terrorists that killed the 4 Americans, more time is the focus on killing the terrorists, or is politics more important than hunting down murderers.
We're talking about the GOP here. Of course politics is more important.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Apparently so. I think they wanted Rice out by any means necessary, replaced by Kerry, so they can have Kerry's seat.
That is the current thinking, but, again, awfully presumptuous of them to think that they will gain that seat.
I suspect that tide has turned, especially in Massachusetts.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronic65 View Post
Is there any chance of a bit of honesty here. The Right had nothing to do with the Rice resignation. It is the left that took her out. A little bit of research will prove this to be correct. Are you progressives just ignorant or totally dishonest? Never mind, it was a rhetorical question.
I acknowledge that many on the left had many issues with her potential nomination. I know I did, and it had little to do with Benghazi.
Unlike, the GOP, many of us do not exhibit the same blind loyalty to party, and to party loyalists, as we saw during the Condi Rice era.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Such as?
"The Lid": Even Without Benghazi Susan Rice Is Not Qualified To Be Secretary of State

The Real Problem With Susan Rice - The Daily Beast

Old 12-14-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Kerry should stay in the Senate, Obama should call on Jon Huntsman for Sec of State. He certainly has the credentials and was the only Repub in the GOP primaries that was a credible choice for President.
A very reasonable solution.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
If you know the history of how Palin was picked you wouldn't be pointing a finger at McCain. Are you aware of the vetting process? The ball was dropped by McCain's people and the lawyers when it came to certain issues that Palin SHOULD have known about and didn't. McCain was given the go-ahead by those he relied on and it was only AFTER announcing her as a running mate that they found out just how stupid she was and the learned that neither side did the proper vetting - relying on the other to do it. Had the ball not been dropped and he had another running mate possibly things would have turned out differently.

As for Susan Rice the Dems will continue to blame the Republicans for her "fall from grace". Remove Libya from the equation and you (if possible, objectively) will see that she brought nothing to the table. She was well groomed and well connected. Other than that - she had nothing.

Susan Rice Didn

Rice, along with the rest of the Obama administration, does not know the meaning of diplomacy. What they are good at is being very undiplomatic. This isn't a race issue, it's a competency issue. SoS is pretty much an independent position, not one of loyalty or self-serving.

Here's a very interesting article on Susan Rice handling of the Congo, along with some Rice background:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/10/wo...anted=all&_r=0

30 failures of Susan Rice while being US Ambassador to the UN:

Richard Grenell | Category | Susan Rice

There are plenty of reasons for Susan Rice NOT to be in the position of SoS - none of which has to do with race, gender, party affiliation and/or Libya.

People need to grow up and start assessing facts to determine competency - facts that go beyond race, gender or party.
Not this Dem.
I am very happy to see her go.

However, that being said, I do think that politics played a huge role with regard to the focus on her after Benghazi. She didn't do anything that Condi Rice and Colin Powell and others before her hadn't already done by toeing the intelligence line. And for Sen. McCain and Sen. Graham, etc. to argue otherwise is simply hypocrisy on their parts.

And, I disagree completely with your characterization of the administration regarding diplomacy. I think they've done an excellent job so far.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:45 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,351 times
Quote:
I'm sorry to see this, I think she would have done an excellent job. It's sad that the screeching from the far right has prevented someone well qualified from taking on such a key position.

[URL="http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2012/12/13/susan-rice-withdraws-name-from-consideration-for-secretary-of-state/"]Susan Rice withdraws name from consideration for secretary of state[/URL]
She finally shows some good judgement. Congrats to her or realizing her extreme shortcomings and inadequacies.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:10 AM

691 posts, read 771,242 times
Quote:
I'm sorry to see this, I think she would have done an excellent job. It's sad that the screeching from the far right has prevented someone well qualified from taking on such a key position.

Susan Rice withdraws name from consideration for secretary of state

I don't remember her being officially nominated.

Old 12-14-2012, 10:47 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,543,408 times
Quote:

Susan Rice withdraws name from consideration for secretary of state
Boo freakin' Hoo!!!

She lied!! The Prez lied and got his job back thanks to a stupid American electorate! But she aint so lucky!

And what gets me is this narrative of racism and sexism from the left!! "The GOP only want old white men in that spot!!"

And what I dont understand is how the media is letting them get away this lie!!

I guess these two aint black enuff???

Well.....I know a lot of black folk wrote Powell off as a house negro, until he voted for Obama twice!

But it was the evil Bushes who appointed two "qualified" black people to very high level positions!

Obama, however,....our first black Prez.......put in:

A "white" woman
Sec. of State
and

Joint Chief

Is Obama a racist and a sexist?? Dont get me wrong. I have no problem with Hillary or Dempsey. But dont act like the GOP are villains becuz they are calling out Susan Rice for her boss in this cover up!!

FOUR PEOPLE ARE DEAD!! THEY GOT NO HELP WHEN THEY ASKED FOR IT!! AND THE MEDIA LET IT DIE TO PROTECT THIS PRESIDENT!! AND SUSAN RICE AND HER MASTER LIED ABOUT A VIDEO!!

And we're suppose to weep for her??? Tell that to the families of the dead Americans!!

Last edited by citizenkane2; 12-14-2012 at 11:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies