Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,382,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
When someone says they won't read the link they choose to stay ignorant, truth not hate.

I read the link others put on here why can't they read the links I posted?
Clearly you didn't because you thought they were 'gay' sites.

I don't think anyone has posted any links to 'gay sites' on this thread. I certainly haven't.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:37 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,508,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Clearly you didn't because you thought they were 'gay' sites.

I don't think anyone has posted any links to 'gay sites' on this thread. I certainly haven't.
No one is stopping you.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:40 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Quote:
What evidence, how do you know, what did they say, can you summarize it, can you just do cliff notes if you can't tell me all they said?
You have been asked on how gay marriage would affect your marriage, yet you cannot even post your own view, but that of a subversive group. Do you know your own opinion even, do you have to be told how to think by your church? You are biased and refuse to see how damaging it is to discriminate against us gay people, to treat us like we are not even of the same species. Believe in what ever fairy tale you want, but keep your beliefs to your own self, do not try and force them on every one. WE all deserve equal treatment under federal law and that includes access to civil marriage contracts. I do not care about what the church thinks or says, they do not care about anything but forcing their religion upon all of us.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:43 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,491,704 times
Quote:
Link?
You asked for it, here it is.
History of same-sex unions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-14-2012, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Gay or lesbian parents certainly might benefit a lot of children being raised by abusive straight parents or in the foster care system.

here is a review of most of the research:

http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/parenting-full.pdf

American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry (AACAP represents over 8,500 child and adolescent psychiatrists.)

"Current research shows that children with gay and lesbian parents do not differ from children with heterosexual parents in their emotional development or in their relationships with peers and adults. It is important for parents to understand that it is the quality of the parent/child relationship and not the parent’s sexual orientation that has an effect on a child’s development. Research has shown that in contrast to common beliefs, children of lesbian, gay, or transgender parents:
  • Are not more likely to be gay than children with heterosexual parents.
  • Are not more likely to be sexually abused.
  • Do not show differences in whether they think of themselves as male or female (gender identity).
  • Do not show differences in their male and female behaviors (gender role behavior)."

American Academy of Pediatrics: (represents over 60,000 Pediatricians)
"A growing body of scientific literature demonstrates that children who grow up with 1 or 2 gay and/or lesbian parents fare as well in emotional, cognitive, social, and sexual functioning as do children whose parents are heterosexual. Children’s optimal development seems to be influenced more by the nature of the relationships and interactions within the family unit than by the particular structural form it takes."

American Psychological Association - Amicus Briefs on Gay and Lesbian Parenting.(The APA represents over 137,000 Psychologists)
"Overall, the belief that children of lesbian and gayparents suffer deficits in personal development has no empirical foundation.

The results of some studies suggest that lesbian mothers' and gay fathers' parenting skills may be superior to those of matched heterosexual couples. For instance, Flaks, Fischer, Masterpasqua, and Joseph (1995) reported that lesbian couples' parenting awareness skills were stronger than those of heterosexual couples. This was attributed to greater parenting awareness among lesbian nonbiological mothers than among heterosexual fathers. In one study, Brewaeys and her colleagues (1997) likewise reported more favorable patterns of parent-child interaction among lesbian as compared to heterosexual parents, but in another, they found greater similarities (Vanfraussen, Ponjaert-Kristoffersen, & Brewaeys, 2003)."
From The Journal of Marriage and Family Volume 72, Issue 1, pages 3–22, February 2010
How Does the Gender of Parents Matter? - Biblarz - 2010 - Journal of Marriage and Family - Wiley Online Library
The entrenched conviction that children need both a mother and a father inflames culture wars over single motherhood, divorce, gay marriage, and gay parenting. Research to date, however, does not support this claim. Contrary to popular belief, studies have not shown that "compared to all other family forms, families headed by married, biological parents are best for children" (Popenoe, quoted in Center for Marriage and Family, p. 1).
Research has not identified any gender-exclusive parenting abilities (with the partial exception of lactation). Our analysis confirms an emerging consensus among prominent researchers of fathering and child development. The third edition of Lamb's (1997) authoritative anthology directly reversed the inaugural volume's premise when it concluded that "very little about the gender of the parent seems to be distinctly important" (p. 10). Likewise, in Fath-erneed, Pruett (2000), a prominent advocate of involved fathering, confided, "I also now realize that most of the enduring parental skills are probably, in the end, not dependent on gender" (p. 18).
You don't find it sad when there are families that say----no father is allowed or no mother is allowed? I do.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
You didn't post the link. Is it just www gays or what?
So not only do you fail at analogies, but you also seem to not understand hypotheticals & sarcasm... LOL.

I was just giving a broad example, although I would be happy to provide some actual links for you (on a non-joking related topic). Did you read the links I posted earlier, regarding the failure and harm of "conversion therapy?"

Old 12-14-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
You don't find it sad when there are families that say----no father is allowed or no mother is allowed? I do.
Depends on the situation, since some parents are better off staying away... but that is a much more widespread issue among heterosexuals, so I'm not sure what it has to do with gay marriage. Now if you want to discuss single parents vs same-sex couples raising children, I would say the former is more sad and less likely to succeed.

Btw, many gay couples decide to adopt their children, meaning two parents (who happen to be of the same sex) as opposed to NO parents. And in the cases where they use surrogacy or donors, some will allow the opposite-sex parent to participate in raising the child. There are many scenarios & possibilities, just as with straight parenting... still not sure how this is related to gay marriage, though.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
You have been asked on how gay marriage would affect your marriage, yet you cannot even post your own view, but that of a subversive group. Do you know your own opinion even, do you have to be told how to think by your church? You are biased and refuse to see how damaging it is to discriminate against us gay people, to treat us like we are not even of the same species. Believe in what ever fairy tale you want, but keep your beliefs to your own self, do not try and force them on every one. WE all deserve equal treatment under federal law and that includes access to civil marriage contracts. I do not care about what the church thinks or says, they do not care about anything but forcing their religion upon all of us.
A subversive group---the Catholic church---that is a good one. LOL Just who is treating you like you are a different species?

Who is forcing their views on others. People have voted against gay marriage but are they listened to? No a judge goes in and undoes their vote. How is that listening to others?

Old 12-14-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
So not only do you fail at analogies, but you also seem to not understand hypotheticals & sarcasm... LOL.

I was just giving a broad example, although I would be happy to provide some actual links for you (on a non-joking related topic). Did you read the links I posted earlier, regarding the failure and harm of "conversion therapy?"
Not yours but I have read some of them before.

Old 12-14-2012, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Tell them not me. It's their web site.
Yeah, but you're the only one here who seems to believe them... and since I don't go around the Internet looking for anti-gay articles & videos, I'm not about to waste my time contacting them. This is all on you, since you're the one who bothered starting a whole thread about it! If you really think this is groundbreaking information, why aren't you even willing to defend or explain their theories?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies