Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 08:03 PM

78,416 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
food stamps seem odd to me - why not just give the Welfare recipient cash instead?

ok, if they blow the money on alcohol then they go without food till the next check comes in - so what?

Perhaps this is a good way for some of them to learn how to budget properly.

so, should Food Stamps be scrapped and just changed into a payment direct to one's bank account, or cash voucher?

I think this is a better way.
The idea is that they don't want people spending the money on things like drugs instead of feeding their kids....which happens. Of course, these are the people that sell their foodstamps for cash so......sigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 12:44 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,838,858 times
can't the foodstamps me made to be for a named person only, and ID must be provided when making a purchase?

Old 12-14-2012, 04:05 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Food stamps are part of the Farm Bill and they are not intended to be income for anyone but farmers and food producers. If the program had not expanded what do you think would have happened to food prices during the depression? And how many other "dominoes would have fallen as a result of 30 million people unable to by food

Old 12-14-2012, 04:15 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
food stamps seem odd to me - why not just give the Welfare recipient cash instead?

ok, if they blow the money on alcohol then they go without food till the next check comes in - so what?

Perhaps this is a good way for some of them to learn how to budget properly.

so, should Food Stamps be scrapped and just changed into a payment direct to one's bank account, or cash voucher?

I think this is a better way.
I think that they should be made to come to their "foster family" weekly and say "I'm here for my handout".

If any of them have dignity, they will not do this.

I figure the food stamp program would be cut by 70%.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:17 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,438,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Because then they can go to the nearest street corner to score their dope with the taxpayers footing their addiction...
I bet many have purchased food (steaks, pork chops, etc) and traded them for drugs and alcohol to fuel their addiction.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:18 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,371,382 times
Quote:
can't the foodstamps me made to be for a named person only, and ID must be provided when making a purchase?
How dare you think that those poor unfortunates should have an ID. I mean, that would make too much sense. Look at what happened when it was mentioned that they should have an ID to vote. The argument was that those "poor" people may not have the means to get one.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:19 AM

Quote:
No, they are sold all the time.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I, totally, disagree. If we let mom or dad blow the money on booze, what do the kids eat?
The kids eat at school. Free lunches and many of the inner city schools have free breakfast and a meal before they go home. A care package is also sent home for the weekends. The families qualify for food stamps, yet sell them for cash because they know that the school will feed their kid.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:23 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,301 times
Instead of food stamps, give all that money to food shelters and let them feed the hungry. Make more food shelters if needed.

Even better make every school a food center. Feed the whole family there for breakfast and dinner if they are hungry. Take your kid to school and get fed, pick them up and get fed. Plus the left will love it more money for schools.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:25 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colcat View Post
How dare you think that those poor unfortunates should have an ID. I mean, that would make too much sense. Look at what happened when it was mentioned that they should have an ID to vote. The argument was that those "poor" people may not have the means to get one.
And the argument was a good one. How many people would walk 10 or 20 miles to get a photo id?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies