Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 01:56 AM

230 posts, read 525,844 times

Advertisements

2 states in america just legalized weed. Colorado and washington. gay marriage is becoming legalized in a new state almost every 6 months on average. Why the big push for these 2? Personally I don't think these two issues are important. I'm against drugs. I don't have anything against gays or ppl liking or being with whomever they want, but gay marriage and gay issues have been in the media a lot the past several years. More than prostitution.

It makes more sense for america to advocate for and legalize/decriminalize prostitution first before the other 2. There's no reason 2 consenting adults should be punished or stigmatized for doing their business.

Last edited by ipod99; 12-13-2012 at 03:07 AM..

Old 12-13-2012, 02:53 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,753 times
I agree, prostitution should be legalised.

why isn't it already?

Old 12-13-2012, 03:16 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
It won't ever be legalized. Think of it from the governments perspective, which is more profitable:
A.) Legalizing prostitution and making little to no revenue on it. Or in other words allowing the citizens to have more liberty.
B.) Keeping it illegal, while the police know of prostitution hotspots where they can literally arrest a few prostitutes daily, release them on bond and re-arrest them again the following week or month.

The answer to that is B, especially since politicians can be bought. They (prison contractors such Corrections Corporation of America) can make contributions towards politicians political campaigns/re-elections, and this will stop any and every piece of legislation that would make it possible to have legalized prostitution. So in other words, as long as companies can make money off keeping certain things illegal, they'll continue to be illegal. Marijuana just happen to be one of those things our politicians have to listen to us about since so many of us (including myself) want legalized.

Last edited by BMORE; 12-13-2012 at 03:28 AM..

Old 12-13-2012, 03:22 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,836,753 times
I can see there is a control issue here.

With illegal prostitution it's a lot easier for the powers that be, to keep tabs on it all.

A free reign, then who knows?

there's also the female power issue - legalised brothels will take power away from the regular woman, so another major factor to overcome here.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:57 PM

230 posts, read 525,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
I can see there is a control issue here.

With illegal prostitution it's a lot easier for the powers that be, to keep tabs on it all.

A free reign, then who knows?

there's also the female power issue - legalised brothels will take power away from the regular woman, so another major factor to overcome here.
Right you are. I find this to be the main underlying reason why many women are against prostitution in general. There's a lot of men who are against it too, but this is the logic for many women unfortunately. Women want to maintain their power in the one aspect of life where they're aren't the underdog.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:03 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipod99 View Post
2 states in america just legalized weed. Colorado and washington. gay marriage is becoming legalized in a new state almost every 6 months on average. Why the big push for these 2? Personally I don't think these two issues are important. I'm against drugs. I don't have anything against gays or ppl liking or being with whomever they want, but gay marriage and gay issues have been in the media a lot the past several years. More than prostitution.

It makes more sense for america to advocate for and legalize/decriminalize prostitution first before the other 2. There's no reason 2 consenting adults should be punished or stigmatized for doing their business.
Legalize prostitution, marijuana, and gay marriage at the same time.

[and be done with it]

Old 12-14-2012, 07:10 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Legalize prostitution, marijuana, and gay marriage at the same time.

[and be done with it]

Yep. If 2 consenting adults want to screw, and one is that desperate that they have to pay for it, so be it. As for marijuana, there is absolutely NO reason on GOD's green Earth why it was made illegal, other than it protects special interests, and the money that they fear that they would lose due to legalization! Oh well, too effin' bad! Find a new line of work! As for gay marriage, same as prostitution, if 2 adults of the same sex want to get married, and call it marriage (call it whatever you want), it has no effect on my life, and how I live it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies