Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 09:01 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,253,701 times

Advertisements

I am not a teenager, I completely agree with wardendresden on this! I am a mom of three, and we the parents can't go to the doctor when we need too, kids have insurance through the state but we the parents don't qualify because our incone is just a few hundred above the minimum salary requirements!!!!! If you know better please do tell what should "we" do????
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 09:05 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,344,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Having "acces", and being able to "afford" health care are 2 different things! Yes, health care is out there, BUT for a family of 6 on 39k it is UNaccessible!!!
How many times do you have to be told to look into your state's healthcare options? Or would you rather just sit and complain about it, and act like those options don't exist?

I have friends who are on MinnesotaCare. Their AGI is just under $30,000 per year, and their MinnesotaCare bill is $128 per month for a family of 5. No deductibles.

Most families spend more money than that per month on booze & smokes.

So tell me again how healthcare simply is NOT an option for most Americans!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
So here's a breakdown of unafordable for u:
He gets $1300 twice a month; rent is $1705, utilities + phone cable total about $750, and if we took the insurance out too we'd be left with roughly $500 for food and gas, NO clothing, shoes, or anything else! And we're not overweight!!! That is called UNaccessible Health Care, AND you conveniently forget that DENTAL is EXTRA even though teeth are attached to the body!!! EYE insurance also separate....etc!!!!!! It is a MOOT point having companies providing insurance IF we cannot BUY it!!!! I rather pay more taxes and have them returned to me in the form for health care that when I need it, Its there and paid for without draining my acct or forcing me into bancrupcy, basically punishing me for getting sick!!!!!
Oh man, you are making this TOO easy!

What in sam hill is somebody doing paying $1700+ per month in rent? Don't even TRY to tell me that nothing cheaper is available!

And why does somebody who is poor have CABLE?

My daughter & son-in-law, and family, are living comfortably on less than $30,000 per year - and they're not even on anything that's subsidized.

Sounds to me like "somebody" has a money management problem.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:11 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,550,003 times
Quote:
Having "acces", and being able to "afford" health care are 2 different things! Yes, health care is out there, BUT for a family of 6 on 39k it is UNaccessible!!! If my husband took what was offered at his job it would cost over $900 per month:
So here's a breakdown of unafordable for u:
He gets $1300 twice a month; rent is $1705, utilities + phone cable total about $750, and if we took the insurance out too we'd be left with roughly $500 for food and gas, NO clothing, shoes, or anything else! And we're not overweight!!! That is called UNaccessible Health Care, AND you conveniently forget that DENTAL is EXTRA even though teeth are attached to the body!!! EYE insurance also separate....etc!!!!!! It is a MOOT point having companies providing insurance IF we cannot BUY it!!!! I rather pay more taxes and have them returned to me in the form for health care that when I need it, Its there and paid for without draining my acct or forcing me into bancrupcy, basically punishing me for getting sick!!!!!
I hear ya! It's almost cruel the way it is set up. It needs to change and change now. Even though I have insurance I know that if anything gets out of line with my bills insurance will have to go.

I have a friend who made $1.60 more a month and was cut from her healthcare through the state for people who are low income. She cried for a month trying to figure out how $1.60 was going to purchase healthcare for her kids in our free market. She is of course a single mother to boot. It's a ridiculous outdated system that we have and it needs to change.

A friends mother got cancer, had to sell her beauty shop and home to afford the treatment. She is ok now but lost what she worked for her whole life. The doctors acted rude to her because of her lack of insurance. She of course made to much for welfare but didn't make enough to insure herself with the pre conditions like a faulty thyroid. How is this the American dream? Worked all her life for her own home and little shop, then it's gone in a second because of illness.

She had to sell her life to save it.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
I am not a teenager, I completely agree with wardendresden on this! I am a mom of three, and we the parents can't go to the doctor when we need too, kids have insurance through the state but we the parents don't qualify because our incone is just a few hundred above the minimum salary requirements!!!!! If you know better please do tell what should "we" do????
Drop cable, and go to the doctor if you need to. My wife & I don't even have cable, though we could afford to. Of course, not having it - and not having all manner of other luxuries like new cars, iPhones, etc. - is one of the reasons we could afford it.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:16 AM

@Big George: We LOOKED into it by APPLYING and got DECLINED! We don't drink or smoke!!!
We applied more than once, and got declined! Hate to tell u but not all states offer the same benefits, and Florida is not known for "caring" much about the uninsured! On the contrary! I getting dental quotes in the $20,000 & $30,000 too!!!! Because no dentist in the USA is willing to patch a cavity anymore! They all push root canals and crowns which are a constant cash flow for them! Been through this for the last 11 years!!!!!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
@Big George: We LOOKED into it by APPLYING and got DECLINED! We don't drink or smoke!!!
We applied more than once, and got declined! Hate to tell u but not all states offer the same benefits, and Florida is not known for "caring" much about the uninsured! On the contrary! I getting dental quotes in the $20,000 & $30,000 too!!!! Because no dentist in the USA is willing to patch a cavity anymore! They all push root canals and crowns which are a constant cash flow for them! Been through this for the last 11 years!!!!!
Things are not adding up here.

When our kids were growing up, my wife cleaned a dental center - in the middle of the night - for $6 per hour. She worked those hours so I could be home with the kids. Her ONE benefit is that the dentist waived any charges not covered by insurance.

Pretty good gig. Of course, she was doing what the overwhelming majority of people refused to do, because it was hard work, inconvenient, and during bad hours. Even so, together we did what we needed to do.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,550,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Oh man, you are making this TOO easy!

What in sam hill is somebody doing paying $1700+ per month in rent? Don't even TRY to tell me that nothing cheaper is available!

And why does somebody who is poor have CABLE?

My daughter & son-in-law, and family, are living comfortably on less than $30,000 per year - and they're not even on anything that's subsidized.

Sounds to me like "somebody" has a money management problem.
Sounds to me like somebody has a reality problem.
If you don't already know some people's rent or mortgage is higher is certain parts of the country. It depends on where you live. Your job and any other special health problems your family has to deal with.

So, on 30,000 a year please tell me how their health insurance is? Full coverage? Low deductible? Where do they live, Oklahoma or another low rent area?
They'd die and starve insurance-less in New York or California on that income. You mean to tell me that your daughter, her husband and their kids do just fine with full coverage healthcare and a home for $30 thou a year? I'm guessing you don't know the full story. Do they just pay for accident insurance? With a 5 to 10 thou deductible? Do one of them per haps work for the state? Does their employer pay their medical? Do they get insurance for nothing or very little compared to most in this country?

Insurance for a family of 4 with full coverage costs on average 6 to 8 hundred a month. How much is their rent? $250 a month? Do they not eat?

FYI: I don't have cable just internet like you. It's not the party out here you think it is.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Drop cable, and go to the doctor if you need to. My wife & I don't even have cable, though we could afford to. Of course, not having it - and not having all manner of other luxuries like new cars, iPhones, etc. - is one of the reasons we could afford it.
Really? Thats your answer? So a few *******s profit out of me, and get to take away my entertainment too? Are you having slaves too?, cause you souund like you do!!!
I am not sure dropping $160 will make up for thousands in medical bills!!!! Your math is worst than mine! And your ignorance and lack of care for your fellow citizens must be bliss indeed! Let me guess, you also have a Romney/Ryan sticker on your car too? Right?

Explain to me then why are we working hard for our money?

Old 12-17-2012, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Sounds to me like somebody has a reality problem.
If you don't already know some people's rent or mortgage is higher is certain parts of the country. It depends on where you live. Your job and any other special health problems your family has to deal with.

So, on 30,000 a year please tell me how their health insurance is? Full coverage? Low deductible? Where do they live, Oklahoma or another low rent area?
They'd die and starve insurance-less in New York or California on that income. You mean to tell me that your daughter, her husband and their kids do just fine with full coverage healthcare and a home for $30 thou a year? I'm guessing you don't know the full story. Do they just pay for accident insurance? With a 5 to 10 thou deductible? Do one of them per haps work for the state? Does their employer pay their medical? Do they get insurance for nothing or very little compared to most in this country?

Insurance for a family of 4 with full coverage costs on average 6 to 8 hundred a month. How much is their rent? $250 a month? Do they not eat?
And on cue, the old, "IT CAN'T BE DONE!!!!!!" train is rolled out onto the tracks.

FIY, they just bought their own home. A very reasonably priced, small, starter home - but one they'll likely live in for the rest of their lives. They drive an older car that is paid for. They don't have cable. They don't have credit cards. THAT is the key. THAT is where most of you REFUSE to compromise or admit that you're wasting money. You expect every luxury in the book, and act as though it is a necessity.

Heads up here folks! You do not NEED a 42" flat screen TV. You don't NEED to pay $175 per month for hi-def cable. You don't NEED to pay $250 per month for cell phones with data access. You don't NEED to pay $400 per month to own a car. You don't NEED to provide your kids with computers and computer games.

There's a HUGE difference between NEED and WANT. And THAT is what most Americans completely fail to understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies