Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 02:31 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,862,016 times

Advertisements

I'd also like to say that I hate debating gun rights at a time like this. Not that this has changed my views and I feel guilty or anything. I don't support torture to fight terrorism, I don't support large-scale violates of privacy to combat crime, and I don't support gun control to stop mass shooting (which despite the tragedy and the recent increase over the past few months are so rare that they don't even make a bump in America's murder rate).

I would rather just feel sorrow for the kids and allow the parents to mourn in peace, but every idiot who wants to ban all guns has come out of the woodwork to politicize this tragedy. The blood isn't even dry yet and I have to watch that fat, limey on CNN shouting about the wonders of gun control and every blogger blaming everyone who owns a gun and the NRA for this massacre (and not the guy who, you know, actually killed the kids). I believe that we can all debate in a mature and reasonable manner. You can support or oppose gun control and we can debate and argue the various merits of gun rights versus gun control, but when you around shoving a microphone in the face of a parent who literally just lost their child and ask them if they are happy that their child's murderer was armed so you can score points for policies you want to enact, you are a f--king ghoul.

It's not just gun control. I'll gladly tackle some racist who brings up some murdering scumbag who happens to be born in Mexico who rambles about, "Third World Savages" or anyone who wants to enact a police state or encourage the active discrimination against Middle Easterners in the name of combating terrorism (remember the right-wingers who were gladly in favor stuff like the PATRIOT ACT and other measures who came out of the woodwork post-9/11?).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 02:33 AM

38,625 posts, read 26,311,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFather View Post
Because most of those countries across the pond have banned most guns, if not all guns, and enforce the law. Only in America is it much more difficult to buy a house than buy a gun, get a drivers liscense, have a child, and buy a car. Our country is ass backwards.

Switzerland is armed to the teeth with assault weapons that military members keep in their own homes, yet very little crime.

"The Swiss Federal Police Office reports that, in 1997, there were 87 intentional homicides and 102 attempted homicides in the entire country. Some 91 of these 189 murders and attempts involved firearms (the statistics do not distinguish firearm use in consummated murders from attempts). With its population of seven million (which includes 1.2 million foreigners), Switzerland had a homicide rate of 1.2 per 100,000."

Guns, Crime, and the Swiss - by Stephen P. Halbrook

Britain has banned all guns, yet they have a homicide rate higher than that of heavily armed Switzerland.

Gun Control - Just Facts

Old 12-15-2012, 02:34 AM

9,134 posts, read 5,784,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
Or is he going to be let-off as mentally unstable, just like the Colorado shooter?

Black criminals are menaces to society. Foreign criminals are terrorists. White criminals... mentally unstable.

This is a racial issue now?
Nice play.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:37 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,627,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
But far more children die on bicycles than with guns. So you only care about mass killings, not the total amount dead. Typical liberal.. care about the group, but screw the individual. Sad..
No one should waste their time arguing with this type of logic.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:40 AM

191 posts, read 241,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Off the top of my head, I couldn't name 5 that are white. Do I need to? No. Are you attempting to counter the statistics posted by conducting a memory test on me?
If you're going to claim that the white serial killer is a myth, then you need to know what you're talking about. If you can't name 5 White serial killers, then you are not well versed in the subject and therefore can't make the statement that you made.

Your own link stated that 80% of serial killers are White, but you want to talk about population demographics.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:43 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,435,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I'll just put this out there: if you keep making guns even more prevalent and easily accessed by anyone and everyone... then get used to more events like today's coming shortly. Mark my words.

We are already the most heavily armed civilian population in the world, right up there with Yemen, and yet all those guns do not seem to be preventing these things...they appear to only be increasing in frequency.

If we have the world's greatest concentration of guns already, then how come we're not safer and already have proportionally lower incidences of gun homicides? Instead, we have the opposite. Riddle me that...

U.S. named
'most heavily armed country'
U.S. named 'most heavily armed country'
One lovely thing about being the most heavily armed country is that it has always been a deterrent to keep hostile countries from invading us. That is a fact and it is a fact why we should never subvert the 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

Old 12-15-2012, 02:45 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,630,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
One lovely thing about being the most heavily armed country is that it has always been a deterrent to keep hostile countries from invading us. That is a fact and it is a fact why we should never subvert the 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.
who? like Canada?

Old 12-15-2012, 02:46 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,940,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Ever worked in an ER? Anyone who has ever worked in one, will tell you that a stab wound is typically much more critical than a gunshot wound. The blade is larger than the diameter of a bullet and does more damage. An adequate knife will kill you much faster than a gunshot.. Perhaps the children in China were slashed rather than stabbed, but I guarantee you, you will die faster from a stabbing than you will from a gunshot...
So you're saying today's events are a complete a miracle, huh? All 22 children stabbed in China are still alive:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/wo...hina.html?_r=0

Meanwhile, all 20 children (and 6 adults) in CT are dead from gunshot wounds. The stats are not looking too good for your theory, buddy. It must be more of that right wing mathematics at work there.

Some of them will never know what it's like to turn 6 years old. Think about that. If they were YOUR kids, you wouldn't be so smug about your beloved 2nd Amendment. They will never know what it means to be able to own a gun or conversely, to live in a world where guns are limited/restricted. They didn't even understand what the Constitution is yet. Our founding fathers were smarter than this. If they saw this gun culture coming, they never would have allowed unlimited guns among the populace. They would have imposed limits. It's time to change the law and you know it.

Last edited by logline; 12-15-2012 at 03:00 AM..

Old 12-15-2012, 02:49 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,424,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
That is perhaps the silliest thing I've read on this forum. That statement is flagrantly devoid of any facts at all.

Common sense tells you that civilian gun ownership plays no role in why/why not decision of foreigners to invade us; our gargantuan military, our arsenal of nukes, and our coalition of allies are what they're considering. We spend more on our military machine than anyone else in the world. As an Old Army Soldier, I would have expected you to know this well.

Funny...conservatives flattering themselves that their .45 under the mattress made Russia or China decide not to invade us....lol

Old 12-15-2012, 02:49 AM

510 posts, read 429,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I'm wondering the same thing. Malamute, see post above mine, says it's because whites are more apt to medicate their children if their behavior isn't perfect. Not so sure about that, but I am sure this kid was medicated. Without a doubt.
Almost a quarter of all white boys under age 13 are on ADHD medication these days.

This represents a truly obscene failure on the part our society. Say what you will at least troubled black and hispanic boys are allowed to run wild and fatherless. Troubled white boys get locked up inside their own heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies