Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 03:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
True, but don't you think something should be done to avert massacres like this?
I don't know if you can, I opined in another thread that this is being brought on by technology. I think the anti-violent video game crowd may have been onto something but not the violence in the video game. I don't buy into that argument. It's the immersion into video game itself, Facebook, their cell phone and all these other technological wonders. They have grown up in a pseudo reality with instant gratification disconnected from real life, life as an adult is a cold hard slap in the face without the "undo" button and it sets them over the edge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 03:10 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times
Japan has the strictest gun laws in the world and had almost zero gun deaths this year.

The U.S. has the loosest gun laws of any industrialized country and has had over 10,000 gun related deaths in a year.

Who exactly is winning here????

Old 12-15-2012, 03:12 AM

2 posts, read 1,428 times
According to studies done by criminologist Anthony Walsh (Homicide Studies 2005; 9; 271) and Eric W. Hickey (Serial killers and their victims, Brooks/Cole, 1997), there were 90 African Americans and 323 white American serial killers operating between 1945 and 2004 (Walsh), approximately 22% or 1 in 5 serial killers are black (Hickey).

There definitely are black serial killers, but they aren't really represented in the media. If you control for the total population of each group, blacks are quite overrepresented.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:13 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
You act as though this has never happened before. First it was the mental health nuts running around killing folks and now it's because there are more guns out running around. Get your story straight. Actually school shootings have gone on for some time in the US. 24 hour news channels just sensationalize it more.

School shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-15-2012, 03:18 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,861,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
In both the case of the accident and the gun massacre, the same consistent principle applies: we should take all reasonable actions to prevent these events from occurring. In the case of the accident, that could mean traffic regulations, speed limits, traffic signs/lights, etc...or proper parent supervision. In the case of the gun massacre, it would be to prevent that psychopathic person from getting his or her hands on deadly weapons. Same consistent principle. Also, note that I did not say that all guns should be banned.
Banning bikes for minors would save more lives than stopping every single school shooting, with not one tenth of the pushback you'd get with gun regulation. It would most likely be much more effective than any type of gun regulation. Regular people care about bike laws, mass murderers don't care about gun laws.

This is all based on people's need to be outraged about something that gives them an emotional rush - something that doesn't happen with bike accidents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Over 10,000 people die a year in the U.S. from gun violence. Your post is pure lunacy. We live in a gun driven society, that loves violence. The story in Newton will not be the last one.
Society loves school shootings? That's news to me. I wasn't aware societal norms had anything do with the actions of an obvious psychopath. I also wasn't aware that in a less violent society, a complete nutjob would just go about his life peacefully.

Grasping at straws.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:18 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I don't know if you can, I opined in another thread that this is being brought on by technology. I think the anti-violent video game crowd may have been onto something but not the violence in the video game. I don't buy into that argument. It's the immersion into video game itself, Facebook, their cell phone and all these other technological wonders. They have grown up in a pseudo reality with instant gratification disconnected from real life, life as an adult is a cold hard slap in the face without the "undo" button and it sets them over the edge.
I think we can. Fewer guns in fewer homes.

"Based on a review of data... the dangers of having a gun at home far outweigh the safety benefits. Research shows that access to guns greatly increases the risk of death and firearm-related violence. A gun in the home is twelve times more likely to result in the death of a household member or visitor than an intruder."

Guns in homes can increase risk of death and firearm-related violence

"Data from a US mortality follow-back survey were analyzed to determine whether having a firearm in the home increases the risk of a violent death in the home [. . .]. Those persons with guns in the home were at greater risk than those without guns in the home of dying from a homicide in the home [. . .].

Results show that regardless of storage practice, type of gun, or number of firearms in the home, having a gun in the home was associated with an increased risk of firearm homicide and firearm suicide in the home."

Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study

Old 12-15-2012, 03:19 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Japan also has nuclear reactors melting down and the government doing little to help those affected..

Old 12-15-2012, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
Over 10,000 people die a year in the U.S. from gun violence. Your post is pure lunacy. We live in a gun driven society, that loves violence. The story in Newton will not be the last one.
Replace "guns" with "drunk drivers" and kick that number up a bit and tell me we should ban alcohol in this alcohol driven society that loves drinking and then explain why nobody is demanding prohibition return as much as they are we need to ban guns?? Or is a gun death worth more than a drunk driving death?? Oh wait prohibition didn't work. I wonder why that was??

Old 12-15-2012, 03:28 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,472,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Ya know I didn't think about that. Yes arming teachers may not be the best idea after all.
Keep the guns away from teachers and restrict ownership to only the uneducated.Brilliant! Only a dupe of the NRA would be sick enough to use this tragedy to hustle more guns.They did the same thing after the movie theater shootup in Colorado.

Old 12-15-2012, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
You're right, you don't think. Keep the flow of stupidity coming chief, there appears to be no end to it.
Yes I was right because you never answered. You never do. You run around ranting and raving and make no sense just like you have done in this thread then call folks names and hope your buddies join in to hide behind. Basically your pathetic. You should run for office as a democrat. You would fit right in and get plenty of votes..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies