Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 12:32 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Obviously first we need to know the specifics of why he failed the check. But what if laws were in place that required immediate law enforcement follow up on an individual who failed a background check to ensure they had no other access to weapons? Seems like something everyone would support.
How very totalitarian of you.

The Stasi would be proud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 12:32 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
It was reopened the next school year. My kids had a gymnastics meet there.
Since your in Denver, what's the status of that mall and movie theatre in Aurora?

Old 12-15-2012, 12:33 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
How so it shows the system works but nothing prevented his gun nut mom acquiring these guns while having an anti-social introverted 20 year old at home.

Why is his mom a gun nut? What number of firearms do you deem acceptable in order for someone not to be classified as one?

Nevermind.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:33 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
They will get over it. Have we become a nation of mental wimps?
Yeah name calling, that'll solve everything. So you can just put yourself in those kids shoes and think that they will just get over it? Get real! I consistently notice that all of these shooters are male and can't think that is a coincidence. For years I've believed that our society (and patriarchy) never teaches boys how to process anger, disappointment, rage, etc. We teach them that being emotional is weak and that they're supposed to buck up to be a man. Maybe the key to unlocking some of this is to look at the role of men in our culture. Why is it easier for mentally disturbed individuals to access milatary style weaponry than access to appropriate mental health care?

Old 12-15-2012, 12:34 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
How so it shows the system works but nothing prevented his gun nut mom acquiring these guns while having an anti-social introverted 20 year old at home.

Suppose he asked his mother for access to the guns and she denied him leading to him snapping since he couldn't or didn't obtain them himself... There has to be something that lead to this and that is plausible. It would be an evil irony if it were gun laws that set this in motion.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:34 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,818,961 times
Another thing...I grew up with three brothers...All of them were big boys...One day my sister came rolling in after a long road trip. She had come through Central America and Mexico...She filled three 5 gallon water jugs with Tequila - She came into the kitchen and dropped five gallons of booze on the table as a gift for her four rowdy brothers.

My mother was a careful woman with good vision for the future...She went around the house removing any obvious tools that could be used as weapons...She put the knives out of sight..got rid of any tools including hammers that the boys may have left about...Got rid of the baseball bat...She understood that we may go a bit nuts once drunk and why even take the chance that the sight of a weapon to a warped and drunken mind might set someone off.

She always kept any weapon or potential weapon out of sight. The point here being...when weapons are available they tend to be used...Out of sight, out of mind.

Anyway my brothers and I were filling up coffee mugs with this juice of the cactus..we got though about a gallon and chairs started to fly. It was not pretty...My mother quietly took the huge jug and dumped it down the sink...or at least she appeared to do so...Later I found out she poured off a few bottles for friends.

We had some good times in that old house. I remember the kitchen...there was a big corner window that over looked the back yard and the lake...huge old willow trees..a few pines that I had planted...and mum's cooking- those lush early suppers in the afternoon..I had it pretty good..We thought we were poor..we were actually the rich people on the lake...I regress...at least I have memories...The poor kids that are dead - will never live out a full life.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Since your in Denver, what's the status of that mall and movie theatre in Aurora?
The movie theater is scheduled to reopen in January.

Cinemark: Aurora theater to reopen in 2013 after shooting | 9news.com

2,075 posts, read 4,446,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
How very totalitarian of you.

The Stasi would be proud.
Throw all the names at me you want, at least I'm offering solutions to try and combat the problem of mentally unstable people getting their hands on guns.

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
He was denied due to his age. (20) In Connecticut you must be 21 to purchase a firearm:

"Permit and certificate applicants must pass state and national criminal history record checks and meet other criteria in law, including, in the case of a carry permit, being deemed suitable to get a permit. Ineligible applicants include convicted felons, illegal aliens, and anyone (1) under age 21; (2) under a court protective or restraining order for using, attempting, or threatening to use force against someone; or (3) discharged into the community in the preceding 20 years after having been found not guilty of a crime by reason of mental disease or defect."

Summary of Gun Legislation

Also, seeing that the police supposedly found his brother's ID on him, he might have tried using it to obtain guns and was denied. Who knows? But the law does dictate someone his age is not eligible to purchase guns in the state of Connecticut.

Old 12-15-2012, 12:38 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They obviously don't come close to going far enough since he still had access to guns.

Good point PullMyFinger!!!

Only when guns are outlawed the way cocaine, heroin and meth are will we be to keep them out of the hands of the wrong people 100% of the time.

And since I want children to be safe and far more children die by drowning than by being shot, I am proposing that all public and private pools be immediately drained and all children be required to wear water wings at all times.

Interesting perspective the liberal has on gun control.

In the mind of the liberal, banning guns will prevent the wrong people from illegally owning them, but outlawing abortion will only encourage the wrong people to illegally perform them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies