Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 10:22 AM

15,701 posts, read 16,969,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I am absolutely DISGUSTED that the mom was an avid gun collector and proud of it. I'm sure that she (just like the rest of the gun owning loons) never imagined that she would be killed using her own gun collection. This coupled with the fact that she knew her kid had obvious mental health issues....and did not seek help for him...I blame her for this tragedy as well.

Mom of suspected school shooter -- first to die -- was avid gun enthusiast, friend says - Open Channel
Her son was 20 years old......she did not have the legal authority to force him into treatment.

Britney Spears parents pulled off an intervention.....but they had easy access {money} to top rate doctors and attorneys to do it. The average parent does not have access to those kinds of resources.

Maybe we need to lower the bar when it comes to having someone involuntarly committed for treatment.........but then........that opens another can of worms, doesn't it?

His mother should have NEVER had any guns at her home.......that was negligence......but how would we legislate against something like that?

If she had to have guns.....she should have had them securely stored at a gun range or something.

But.....even if she did.....this kid could have stolen guns from another home.

No easy answers here.....but I believe how we handle those with mental problems needs to be changed.....and that is a tricky thing to accomplish without trampling on the rights of the mentally ill.

I don't have any answers....but I pity parents trying to deal with children like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 10:23 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Cancer isn't new either, guess we shouldn't discuss a cure/fix for the problem, since it's not new
But people don't wait for the problem to be defined anymore. They come to their own conclusions and then push for reform.

Ban guns, tougher restrictions or improved mental health care ?
Those are the fixes, the solutions all over the press and in DC.

Yet, the police haven't even finished their investigation.
No one knows the motive or the reason why he did it.

Yet, everyone seems to have a "solution" to "the problem". Well just what is "the problem" ?

Old 12-16-2012, 10:25 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,121,924 times
Rest assured there are people who are more comfortable locked up. Throwing the key to the bottom of the ocean is a need in society where illness unconsciously begs for some boundary, where none exists.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:26 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,909,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
There were a couple of indications, all of which I'm not going to repeat here.

Money doesn't guarantee you access to timely mental health services.
That may be true, but money does guarantee you immediate access to a gun safe, which would have prevented this man from stealing his mothers guns..

8,732 posts, read 6,758,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Reports say her relationship with her ex was very tense and she was very negative when speaking of him.
Having a mentally ill child can be a termendous strain on a marriage to end in divorce. Clearly she was left to raise a child that was mentally ill. I guess it was too much for her oldest son to deal with so he moved out. She moved away from her immediate family 10 years ago, leaving her with no family close by.

So, maybe she was tense and negative over the fact that she was dealing with a sick child by herself. Maybe she resented her ex-husband - he may have financially taken care of his son, but that was the extent of his involvement? What kind of life do you think she had?

3,204 posts, read 2,858,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Yep. I wonder which President was responsible for cutting funding and releasing thousands upon thousands of mentally ill patients onto the streets. Hmmmm.....

10 reps points to the first conservative who comes up with the correct answer.
Maybe this article will help you out. It's quite enlightening, actually. It shows how history repeats itself over and over again and how the scientific community is willing to manipulate facts to get what they want.

You can keep your rep points...I'm not a rep hound.

HOW RELEASE OF MENTAL PATIENTS BEGAN - NYTimes.com

Last edited by Isitmeorarethingsnuts?; 12-16-2012 at 10:27 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-16-2012, 10:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
We don't know all the details and never will, but we do know he didn't want to submit to a background check in order to buy fire arms, so there is something there.
The article says because he didn't want to wait 14 days. Seems he had the intent and didn't want to wait 14 days to do what he did. Maybe stealing his mother's guns was his plan B ?

Old 12-16-2012, 10:29 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,490,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But people don't wait for the problem to be defined anymore. They come to their own conclusions and then push for reform.

Ban guns, tougher restrictions or improved mental health care ?
Those are the fixes, the solutions all over the press and in DC.

Yet, the police haven't even finished their investigation.
No one knows the motive or the reason why he did it.

Yet, everyone seems to have a "solution" to "the problem". Well just what is "the problem" ?
We already know the 223 caliber assualt rifle was used to murder 20 6/7 year olds.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:29 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,478,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
We do not know that. The article talks about a 13 yr old kid who has a history of violent behaviour. Did Adam Lanza have such history, or was he well behaved until Friday? His classmates decribe him as a nice, shy kid. His father said he could not believe his son did it, which indicates there were no warning signs. If he had said "this does just a matter of time", then I'd say his story is similar to the one in the article.

When these things happen people who know the killer almost always say "I can't believe he did it, he was such a nice guy". People have the ability to hide the anger and sick/disturbing thoughts from others, while the violent ones are locked up. Being mentally ill is not a crime, and unless you display violent behaviour, then the society has no right to lock you up.
When was the last time the father saw his son Adam? From news reports and what some relative of was reporting, the father wasn't in the picture -- he volunteered a very nice alimony payment, higher than he had to pay but may not have visited his son.

The mother sometimed "homeschooled" Adam but not starting until 10th grade. That doesn't sound like the typical homeschooler and makes you suspect there were issues with him at school.

Another big sign of a problem is that Adam wasn't in school and he apparently had never held down any kind of job. A 20 year old doing absolutely nothing isn't normal or a good sign.

I haven't really heard anyone significant saying they couldn't believe he did it. If anything there seems to be very very few people who might have been close to him at all -- maybe just the mom.

Old 12-16-2012, 10:30 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,601,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
And yet the mother kept her guns where he could get at them.
How do you know that?

Did the investigation teams release that information?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies