Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 12:59 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times

Advertisements

good for the hackers, now if only someone could convince them to take a ride on a comet..

Anonymous hacks Westboro Baptist Church
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 01:00 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,477,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'm a liberal and i dont think for a moment that banning guns is an achievable concept,with hundreds of millions of guns out there, the right to own one being entrenched in the constitution, people claiming they'll die before giving up their guns ya just got to face reality America is a gun culture and tragic incidents like this are the inevitable consequence of that many people owning guns in America..
You can make all the laws you want but if some dont want to obey those laws they become only a suggestion rather than a deterrent.
You can put people into psychiatric institutions but in this shooters case He wasnt insane enough to be locked up for life on the off chance he might have committed such a crime..
Best that can be hoped for is the next shooting spree doesnt involve my family or friends, and my prayers and sympathies go out to those families and friends that have to bear the brunt of this tragedy.
You and I have pretty much the same expectation. A few toddlers with holes in them will never change this nation.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:01 PM

169 posts, read 113,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I don't think there's a parent alive who could do that.

This is all irrelevant to the situation.

I don't think money was a problem for this family.

Once again, ADAM LANZA WAS NOT DIAGNOSED WITH ANY MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEM!

How do you know that he wasn't diagnosed with a mental health condition? All the reports are early and even if that's what they said in a newspaper, doesn't mean that it's accurate. Lots of info will come out about this shortly. Anyone who blows away 28 people, shooting each of them multiple times, has a problem with his mental health. He didn't just kill people......he went overboard in killing them. People with any common sense whatsoever realize that THAT is not normal by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:05 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post

Great post. How about we re-examine the biggest liberal idea of all: public schools. There didn't used to be public schools, but we waste trillions on these liberal social-engineering factories that are ruining society and our young men, jacking up property taxes and placing our cities in perpetual debt. Plus, these liberal utopias give psychos a concentrated source of targets.

I don't want to see one bad liberal idea necessitate more bad liberal ideas.
First public school in the U.S. opened 377 years ago, in 1635.

History of education in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-16-2012, 01:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwennie View Post
How do you know that he wasn't diagnosed with a mental health condition? All the reports are early and even if that's what they said in a newspaper, doesn't mean that it's accurate. Lots of info will come out about this shortly. Anyone who blows away 28 people, shooting each of them multiple times, has a problem with his mental health. He didn't just kill people......he went overboard in killing them. People with any common sense whatsoever realize that THAT is not normal by any stretch of the imagination.
I guess I don't know that. However, of all the information, accurate and inaccurate that has come out regarding this crime, a mental health diagnosis has not come up. Of course what Adam Lanza did was abnormal. But we don't know what, if anything, abnormal he did previously.

It's really putting the CART before the horse to say that he couldn't access mental health services, etc, when we don't know that to be the case.

Look at all the psychobabble that came out about how he was jealous of his mom's students, then it turned out she wasn't a teacher at the school after all.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:06 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You can't be serious. Banning free speech about mass murders and banning a free press? That's not going to happen.
Sorry, I was being facetious in a troll thread, I won't let it happen again.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:07 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,337,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It isn't just this one incident -- it's all of them. Obviously there are mental illness issues.

The father of Adam Lanza apparently had little or no contact with his son in years. It sounds like he simply dumped all the responsibility on his ex-wife so what are you waiting for him to say?
How do you know that? Please stop disparaging and hold your tongue. You know nothing about this family or its dynamics. Don't you think this father just might be in agonizing pain?

How about some compassion?

Old 12-16-2012, 01:13 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
It's interesting that the right wing made such a big deal over four tragic deaths in Benghazi but now want everyone to shut up over this massacre.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
A mother's story of living with a 13 year old who scares her, possibly even to death:

"I live with a son who is mentally ill. I love my son. But he terrifies me. A few weeks ago, Michael pulled a knife and threatened to kill me and then himself after I asked him to return his overdue library books. His 7- and 9-year-old siblings knew the safety plan—they ran to the car and locked the doors before I even asked them to. I managed to get the knife from Michael, then methodically collected all the sharp objects in the house into a single Tupperware container that now travels with me. Through it all, he continued to scream insults at me and threaten to kill or hurt me . . .

We still don’t know what's wrong with Michael. Autism spectrum, ADHD, Oppositional Defiant or Intermittent Explosive Disorder have all been tossed around at various meetings with probation officers and social workers and counselors and teachers and school administrators. He’s been on a slew of antipsychotic and mood altering pharmaceuticals, a Russian novel of behavioral plans. Nothing seems to work."

I Am Adam Lanza's Mother | Slog
Some people just are mentally dangerous and the new right system fails with it reuiremnt of prrof needed to place in detention. Samje thing has happened agins and agian until they kill/serious injured someone.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:18 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I guess I don't know that. However, of all the information, accurate and inaccurate that has come out regarding this crime, a mental health diagnosis has not come up. Of course what Adam Lanza did was abnormal. But we don't know what, if anything, abnormal he did previously.

It's really putting the CART before the horse to say that he couldn't access mental health services, etc, when we don't know that to be the case.

Look at all the psychobabble that came out about how he was jealous of his mom's students, then it turned out she wasn't a teacher at the school after all.
Then it gets back to something liberals never want to admit exists -- and that is evil. I'm inclined to agree with you --- the killer wasn't mentally ill at all, just very very evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies