Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 01:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Choose to believe that; it's your right as an American. However, millions of the rest of us are devastated by the slaughter of twenty children who won't live to be eight years-old. The WH and Congress have had little to say beyond offering condolences and offering whatever help they might be able to extend to the families and community. Most of us are mourning in the face of such a tragedy. How sad that some people can't grasp the magnitude of this slaughter because they're more concerned with "us versus them." How ironic to have to witness such cynicism and selfishness during the season traditionally set aside as a time of peace and love.
Feinstein was working over the weekend...introducing a bill when Congress meets next about banning some assault weapons.."getting weapons of war off the streets".

Yes truly ironic that some want to exploit this tragedy for political gain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 01:18 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
However, as I posted in another thread, if the guns were readily available why did he try to buy a gun using his brother's name?
The media will run with anything. The source of these remarks have been attributed to bystanders. I don't think the investigation has confirmed the attempt to buy a gun, yet.

Initial information is often mistaken in tragedies.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:19 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
None of you know a damn thing about these people and what really happened except for what the idiot box tells you...

Maybe the kid was diagnosed with some made up liberal "disorder" and fed BS and drugs and it was driving him nutzo???

There is the problem right there. The rightwing thinks that mental illness is made up by liberals. Thats why they shut down all the mental hospitals, years ago.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
How do you know that? Please stop disparaging and hold your tongue. You know nothing about this family or its dynamics. Don't you think this father just might be in agonizing pain?

How about some compassion?
I don't really have much compassion for the dad when it was reported that he hadn't seen his kid since the divorce. Now if you show he visited frequently then I'll change my mind but as it is, he seems to have not been much involved with this son in recent years. Nor has the brother who by his own admission hadn't seen him since 2010. Although that is suspect since Adam was using Ryan's identification.

I have no compassion for them until I find out what kind of people they were.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:22 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
First public school in the U.S. opened 377 years ago, in 1635.

History of education in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I guess GregHenry wants the country to revert back to 1634, then.

Let's see, what weapons were state-of-the art then?

Muskets?

OK, everyone gets a musket! (and that's all) lol

Old 12-16-2012, 01:23 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,810 times
Whether two wrongs make a right can be debated but I certainly won't lose sleep over these fools being hacked.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:26 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwennie View Post
That's how many operate today......they are required to do so. They have group therapy, individual therapy, occ therapy, activity therapy, etc... Medication is certainly a major focus, but so is talk therapy and learning social skills. The days of warehousing is gone. Some also do have gardening as well to help provide food for the hospital.
We need more of those.

There is a limit to money -- but the government once took money from mental health and those institution and instead funded a very massive and wasterful welfare system -- instead of giving $1000 to $2000 a month in housing vouchers to those incapable of supporting themselves whether they are diagnosed with a mental disorder or not, maybe it would be best to build modern institutions for anyone who needs one. Everyone who can't make it on his/her own probably needs group therapy which doesn't have to cost a lot and living together could help them with the social skills.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:26 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I am absolutely DISGUSTED that the mom was an avid gun collector and proud of it. I'm sure that she (just like the rest of the gun owning loons) never imagined that she would be killed using her own gun collection. This coupled with the fact that she knew her kid had obvious mental health issues....and did not seek help for him...I blame her for this tragedy as well.

Mom of suspected school shooter -- first to die -- was avid gun enthusiast, friend says - Open Channel
Not only that but she taught her emotionally and mentally unstable son how to use the weapons. She didn't even realize that she needed to be afraid of her own son!

Old 12-16-2012, 01:28 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It isn't just this one incident -- it's all of them. Obviously there are mental illness issues.

The father of Adam Lanza apparently had little or no contact with his son in years. It sounds like he simply dumped all the responsibility on his ex-wife so what are you waiting for him to say?
Maybe the wife was one of these typical moms who didn't see anything wrong with her precious son, refused to get help (it doesn't look like she sought any help for her son) and the husband got fed up and walked away.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Then it gets back to something liberals never want to admit exists -- and that is evil. I'm inclined to agree with you --- the killer wasn't mentally ill at all, just very very evil.
Now you're putting the cart before the horse. I didn't say Adam wasn't mentally ill, just that we don't have a diagnosis that supports that assertion. I did not say Adam Lanza was evil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies