Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2012, 02:50 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Arming the staff? Along with every thing else they're required to know to get their degrees you want to add marksmanship to the list? I think its a lousy idea.
Lousy idea?

Ever wonder why one of these nutjobs never flipped out and went on a shooting spree at a police precinct? Nah, it's much better to make sure nobody but the nutjob is armed, and that the nutjob knows that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 02:50 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
She was not only a prepper, she was the ultimate gun fanatic. News reports say she would often take her kids, including Adam to the gun range. I don't know why anyone would feel the need to expose their kids to something as lethal as a gun. .
Responsible parents/gun owners should take their children to the gun range. It teaches children to respect the guns and takes away the mystique. My dad occsassionally took my sister and I to the gun range when we were growing up. And my BIL teaches each of his kids to shoot and to respect guns. If you are going to have a gun in the house, the responsible thing to do is teach your children to respect the weapon and also teach them how to use it correctly.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:51 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,374,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't really have much compassion for the dad when it was reported that he hadn't seen his kid since the divorce. Now if you show he visited frequently then I'll change my mind but as it is, he seems to have not been much involved with this son in recent years. Nor has the brother who by his own admission hadn't seen him since 2010. Although that is suspect since Adam was using Ryan's identification.

I have no compassion for them until I find out what kind of people they were.
How do you know the mother wasn't keeping the son away from the father? It wouldn't be the first time that divorced parents played chess with each other using their children as pawns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Not everyone can or should be mainstreamed.

I've been told on this board previously that the reason I didn't see so many special needs kids in school was because those kids used to be locked away or stayed at home. Well guess what, we didn't have school shootings and our gun laws were much more relaxed back then.

We swung our pendulum to all inclusive and everyone living in harmony, well guess what, we're not in harmony by a long shot.

Maybe we need to go back to saying, no, I'm sorry we're really not equipped to handle certain problems in mainstream society and public schools.

We have too many "highly educated" people in charge of our schools practicing theories for behavioral and mental issues, when they really can't. But admitting it would hurt too many egos.
^^^^
This.

There are a lot of kids in the schools who would not have been there 20-30 years ago. Some of them certainly should be mainstreamed. But many have no business in a public school. They drain resources and for what? It's not as if the school is doing them any good other than acting as daycare.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I'm just tired of Newtown being portrayed as a lovely place to live. Perhaps for people of a particular demographic and mindset, but not so much for others...
True. Upscale wealthy communities have their own set of social problems but they are mostly kept hush hush from public scrutiny.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:52 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,710,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Responsible parents/gun owners should take their children to the gun range. It teaches children to respect the guns and takes away the mystique. My dad occsassionally took my sister and I to the gun range when we were growing up. And my BIL teaches each of his kids to shoot and to respect guns. If you are going to have a gun in the house, the responsible thing to do is teach your children to respect the weapon and also teach them how to use it correctly.
Yeah, it looks like Lanza's mother really managed to take away the mystique. Worked out great for her and those 26 other people including 20 children. And assault rifles are just so very necessary, right?

Old 12-16-2012, 02:53 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
He moved out to NJ in 2010. He was the one first accused of the shooting.
He's already been interviewed by police and released. Had nothing to do with this.
I had known this, but surely he must have some light to shed on why his brother went ballistic. How about the father? As family members they must have something helpful to say.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:56 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
True. Upscale wealthy communities have their own set of social problems but they are mostly kept hush hush from public scrutiny.
You can say that about any community.

That poster is acting like Newtown is some secret society of doomsday preppers, and that is simply not the case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Here's what the media won't tell you, much of the Newtown community consisted of "preppers."

Old 12-16-2012, 02:57 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I had known this, but surely he must have some light to shed on why his brother went ballistic. How about the father? As family members they must have something helpful to say.
They have been interviewed by the authorities but I doubt they will be releasing information to the media anytime soon. You have to remember that in addition to everything horrible his brother did, both his mother and brother are both dead.

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwennie View Post
The main reason they are not talking about specific diagnoses with this kid is because of confidentiality....it's not like his psychiatrist/counselor can go on national tv and tell everyone what was going on. His mother is dead. His father apparently wasn't involved with him. Friends of the family are not saying anything at this time. I agree that there are assumptions being made out there about this kid and his family, but it's also very clear that he wasn't just your average criminal.....he had some pretty significant mental health issues, as stated by some people who knew him on a superficial level. One doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that something was wrong with this kid.
No one has come forward and said he was receiving ANY type of psychiatric care. Someone who knows a person on a "superficial level" is not qualified to make these statements.

1,604 posts, read 1,565,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Responsible parents/gun owners should take their children to the gun range. It teaches children to respect the guns and takes away the mystique...
It also provides them with the training to become mass murderers if they decide to go that route. How about teaching kids to respect other humans, instead of respecting guns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies