Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 08:33 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
You're a gun retard. I'm not sure how else to categorize someone as ignorant as you are about firearms.

There are plenty of .22 pistols that are just as deadly and quick, especially when you're a coward little pu$$y attacking first grade kids at close range.

It's not about the guns. It's about a sick and demented kid.
That was pretty much my thoughts as well, especially considering the smaller the caliber, the more likely the magazine will carry more rounds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 08:34 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Idon't buy the "he would have found a way" argument. You don't know that. He had these guns in his house, easily accessed. Maybe, just maybe, if he didn't have easy such access to military-grade automatic weaponry, he would not have been so effective at killing so many children. I"m willing to bet on that possibility and try to make it harder for people like him to get their hands on that kind of weapon.
You don't know anything, but your wild speculation leads you to the result you most desire. And don't confuse guns that look similar to military weapons with military weapons. They're no where close. Also don't forget that if we could selectively ban weapons from people that are going to commit violence in the future then we've acquired magical powers somehow. No, we're just going to ban people with legitimate reasons to want to own guns in a vain hope that randomly stops the one crazy person somewhere in the future. All while those in charge make sure they have a monopoly on violence (including the crazy people like that PSYCHOLOGIST at ft. Hood). Thanks for putting our safety in THEIR hands.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:36 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
So it's not enlightenment and education that is the basis for our freedom and democracy, it's crackpots with gun fetishes.

Fantasy world indeed, my friend.
There's the rub, it seems there's an idea that every gun owner is a crackpot or that all crackpots have gun fetishes. Are "we" now psychiatrists as well?
And that "basis of freedom" you say "enlightenment and education" is responsible for? Those two things you're trying to extol the virtues of are exactly what's taken away many of our liberties and installed more and more dependence on "the state".
All these so called "enlightened and educated" people in D.C. are/have done such a bang up job so far. I'd rather have a bunch of less educated un-enlightened people loaded with common sense in D.C. than what is extolled above.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:38 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
There's the rub, it seems there's an idea that every gun owner is a crackpot or that all crackpots have gun fetishes. Are "we" now psychiatrists as well?
And that "basis of freedom" you say "enlightenment and education" is responsible for? Those two things you're trying to extol the virtues of are exactly what's taken away many of our liberties and installed more and more dependence on "the state".
All these so called "enlightened and educated" people in D.C. are/have done such a bang up job so far. I'd rather have a bunch of less educated un-enlightened people loaded with common sense in D.C. than what is extolled above.
Right wing government hater, opinion noted.

What rights has the government taken from you recently? You can go live in the woods in a bunker and make lover to your weapons all you want.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:39 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
I have to go through all kinds of invasions of privacy to get on an airplane, thanks to a few crazies. We put up with that, to keep our country safer. People in the military give up their lives, to keep our country safer. I don't think it's too much to ask for people to give up certain kinds of particularly deadly weapons, for the safety of ourselves and our children. Start getting used to the idea, because this is happening, finally.
No, nothing major will happen. They will talk and maybe ban "assault rifles" again, but they can't do anything to hand guns. Pandora's box has been opened and the genie is out of the bottle. Not to mention the fact that too many Democrats support the 2nd amendment for anything major to get passed.

The only thing banning and confiscating guns would do is get a lot of law enforcement officers shot.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:41 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
So it's not enlightenment and education that is the basis for our freedom and democracy, it's crackpots with gun fetishes.

Fantasy world indeed, my friend.
You have the 1st Amendment right to say these foolish and insulting things, so is there any way we can persuade you to just go away?

2,277 posts, read 3,960,123 times
Quote:
I have to go through all kinds of invasions of privacy to get on an airplane, thanks to a few crazies. We put up with that, to keep our country safer. People in the military give up their lives, to keep our country safer. I don't think it's too much to ask for people to give up certain kinds of particularly deadly weapons, for the safety of ourselves and our children. Start getting used to the idea, because this is happening, finally.
Regarding airplanes, most of what we go through is to keep everybody thinking they're safer as the TSA routinely fails to catch people carrying objects through. Detailed profiling and FBI investigations actually stop terrorists, not the McDonald's working staring at the x-rays.

As for the military, they do a wonderful job at protecting our country and you would have them surrender their ability to protect people once they go home. Nice way to say thanks. And don't forget that the military can have crazy people too and then who defends us agains them?

If you actually take time to consider the consequences of end game gun control, all it boils down to is taking away any individuals ability to protect themselves and make them even more reliant on the government (ie a liberals wet dream)

9,273 posts, read 26,491,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnh View Post
Perhaps, but... bombs ARE illegal and relatively rare in the US.

You are absolutely correct in that there will always be people with mental health issues who attempt to carry out these horrific events. But in the US we make it especially quick and easy.
Common household products and fertilizers arent illegal.

Anyway my point is, crazy is going to find a way to inflict pain if they want to. And yes, they can plot and premeditate even being mentally ill. Obviously this event was planned, and He would have used something else if he couldn't have gotten his hands on guns.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:43 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,213,138 times
Some general points.

Mental health. That's a copout. It's easy to look back and see the warning signs and mental issues but millions of people have "issues" of some sort - anti-social, withdrawn, moody, apathetic, etc. - and 99.9% of them never do anything like this. Picking out the one in a million is not possible. We do not (and hopefully never will) live in a world like the movie Minority Report where we have a "precrime" police force that can predict that one will commit a crime in the future and take them out now.

Weapons ban. It's illegal for citizens to own guns in Mexico (well there's a process for rifles but so strict it effectively bans them) and now you have armed cartels savaging an unarmed population with impunity. Some have suggested if Lanza's mom didn't own guns that this would not have happened. I think that's ridiculous. This kid would have found a way.

Guns vs Knives. I agree it's harder to kill in mass with knives. But anyone bent on "maximum lethality" as many of these killers are have other options. Explosives are far more destructive and deadly. Terrorists overseas seldom run into a market and start firing automatic weapons, they set off a car bomb. Or maybe they will turn to mass poisoning of food and water, or chemical sprays, or biological attacks.

Gun free zones. These kinds of things always seem to happen in gun free zones. How many more times does this need to happen before we admit gun free zones simply doesn't work? You don't stop these kinds of incidents with a sign or a law, you stop them with security.

Security. Why are our schools so unsecured? How many times have they been targeted as a "soft target" and we continue to have large numbers of defenseless people in an enclosed space with almost no security. It's like we refuse to give up our idealistic notion that a school should be immune from the realities of life, where kids don't have to see security measures or armed guards. Our schools regularly conduct fire drills. How many kids have died in school fires versus shootings in the last 20 years?

Old 12-17-2012, 08:43 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Take that interview with a grain of salt.
I also take the interview with the tech club teacher with a grain of salt.
Teachers know if there's a disability/behaviour issue with students because of paperwork that each teacher gets.

I wouldn't take too seriously one babysitting session 11 years ago as "fact".

Everyone has a story after the fact.

ATF has not found their names on any logs from the gun ranges and that was reported this morning.

Too many people are speculating to the press who then turns around and are reporting them as fact.

Police are reporting FACTS.
Agreed, but the woman knew very well that her son had serious problems. You cannot live with someone and not know, esp a son or daughter. What in G's name was she thinking???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies