Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2012, 05:31 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,555,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
The fact that other countries manage just fine without all the firearms and carnage they bring is not a what if.
nice try. that's not the 'what-ifs' of yours that i quoted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 05:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
No one knows that it is near impossible to get meaningful mental help unless you have money.There is and are no facilities for treatment,institution's done away with a long time ago.We have been thru this with daughter suffering with schizophrenia.It is now 20 years later.
You have no control over them,it took a baker hold to get her started and now no better off.If we had wanted to assume her guardianship we were told we would have had to hire a doctor,physcologist and lawyer and same for her representation.
On one treatment it took 2 doctors testimony to get a judge to grant us temporary legal guardian to sign for treatment since she refused.They would bring it under control and than she would refuse meds.
We gave up and are now separated from situation.
My reason for this post is if murderer is separated from reality,it is a tough job to force help on him.
I feel your pain - my brother is a paranoid schizophrenic and there is simply no way any of us could AFFORD to take on the liability of being his guardian. And short of that, HIPPA laws do more to protect HIS rights than they do to protect innocent people from his behavior.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Giving up control or submitting is not an answer, it is only surrender to some self proclaimed authority.

Keeps your guns and ammo as safe and secure as you would your children. Exercise personal responsibility in your actions and for the protection of your loved ones.

Bless the children...
My family is actually AFRAID of my brother and we WANT him to be behind bars for as long as possible. You know what the PROSECUTING ATTORNEY told us? "We can't keep him. He's going to get out, and he's going to re-offend. All I can tell you is to arm yourself - and don't be afraid to protect yourself when he comes after you."

Gee, thanks. And people wonder why I need a gun for self protection!

Old 12-17-2012, 05:36 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times
Quote:
But hey, if, say, the constitution is changed to outlaw private ownership of most guns, what are you going to do?
Playing "What if" games about things that are simply never going to happen is a waste of time. The 2nd Amendment is not going anywhere. Ever. It's unworthy of discussion.

But just to humor you, and perhaps show you a little bit why it's a bad idea, even if that happened (and it won't), no, I will not turn in my weapons. Ever. Many, if not most people who own firearms would do the same.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:37 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
they should make classroom doors look by a remote, only the teachers have-
heavy bolt locks, both sides of the door
then the classroom is secure
That sounds like over kill to me. Just good quality heavy duty doors, with commercial grade locks should be enough. Electronic access key systems might be a good idea. But, I'm not sure how well young children would be able to deal with those, and it probably wouldn't offer that much more protection, to be cost effective.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:38 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
nice try. that's not the 'what-ifs' of yours that i quoted

Except that firearms and all the carnage they are raining down on our nation is the issue here, is it not?

Old 12-17-2012, 05:39 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
I've heard of all sorts of arguments why we cannot get rid of our guns. I've yet to here one valid argument as to why we SHOULD not get rid of them. Not one. The fact that you think we are bad parents is not a good reason to put guns into our hands. In fact, it is a very strong reason why we should not have them. Sorry, my children should not be put at risk so you can have the luxury to go kill bambi. How about taking up fishing instead?
I gave you a valid reason.

I don't want to be a sitting duck in my own home to anyone who is bigger and stronger than I am.

I want to feel safe in my own home.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Playing "What if" games about things that are simply never going to happen is a waste of time. The 2nd Amendment is not going anywhere. Ever. It's unworthy of discussion.
Never say never.

Quote:
But just to humor you, and perhaps show you a little bit why it's a bad idea, even if that happened (and it won't), no, I will not turn in my weapons. Ever. Many, if not most people who own firearms would do the same.
Then you are part of the problem, and confirm my ealier thesis that gun owners like you are largely responsible for these atrocities. Congratulations.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:41 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times
Quote:
I am tralking about making our country a safe place in which to live and raise our children.
And you're making it sound like murder is rampant. It's something that occurs to 0.004% of the population in any given year. And that is a fraction of what it used to be, and continues to fall.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I gave you a valid reason.

I don't want to be a sitting duck in my own home to anyone who is bigger and stronger than I am.

I want to feel safe in my own home.
Have you ever been a sitting duck in your own home? I feel safe in my home, and I don't own a gun. Ever stop to consider why that is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies