Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 02:42 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Generally speaking, I'm one of the "good guys". Oh, I'll speed a bit from time to time, I've been known to burn a plant that has been deemed banned by the legislature, but that's as far as my lawbreaking has ever gone. Oh, I did drive on a suspended license once (because I forgot to pay a parking ticket) but I didn't know it at the time.

But I will not turn over my gun, even if they demand it.

Granted, it would be Unconstitutional to do so, the whole ex post facto thing, but were a confiscation to occur, well, they don't even know I have one.
I consider myself one of the good guys as well. I am of the philosophy of live and let live. So long as it doesn't harm others in the process. In other words, don't start no s*** won't be no s***! I'm also not above burning that same plant (stupid that it's illegal anyway). I've never killed anyone. I've been in a few brawls back in the day, but who hasn't? Never had a suspended license. Never stole. Had 3 traffic violations my whole time driving (almost 40). And was caught at age 20 for underage drinking which resulted in a $250.00 fine. Nothing major.

I don't currently own one (how about that jmqueen), but looking at getting my CCW, because it's the legal thing to do. But as far as what I would do if they were to confiscate guns, I don't know what I would do. I do know a former marine, and others who are very adamant that they will NOT surrender their guns, should the government come for their guns. I even had one person say they'll give them back... 1 bullet at a time. Harsh? Extreme? Perhaps. But I see their point. If the government can step all over the 2nd Amendment, and take their guns, what's next? Bye bye 1st Amendment. Not to mention there is nothing stopping government tyranny. Our founders were very smart in the way this nation was meant to be set up. To avoid being a bunch of serfs ruled by a king. So, perhaps I wouldn't turn it in either. But that doesn't mean that I or anyone else that I know that feels that way, would go on some sort of killing spree like this guy did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
And as I said before and I will reiterate, everyone said the same thing about Nancy and Adam Lanza.

But I should trust you because you say so. Whatever.

You don't have to trust me. I don't care if you do or don't. But again, so long as you have no intention to harm myself or my family, you have nothing to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 02:42 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLay36 View Post
a collapsable stock (making concealment easier),
A rifle , collapsable stock or not, is difficult to conceal. And mine only makes about a 6" difference.

Quote:
pistol grips (making a "quick draw" more user friendly),
Seriously, from someone who knows firearms? You're going to "draw" a rifle? Never seen a rifle holster anywhere, myself.

Quote:
and muzzle mounted grenade launchers are hardly cosmetic.
True, but civilians cannot own grenades, and it was the mounting point, not the actual launcher.

Quote:
Another important aspect of the bill was to provide a definition and legislate what an appropriate magazine capacity is, setting the limit at 10. When we're talking about spree killing specifically, size (of the clip) does matter.
At least this, on the surface, appears logical. However, 10, 30, if I have prepared magazines ahead of time and do not care about retrieving emptys, my rate of fire will be close to identical, and not different enough to make a substantive difference. It takes just a second or two to drop a mag and reload.

I own an AR-15, and while I have not used it for hunting, I may in the future. And I prefer 30-round mags for range use because constant reloading is a PITA. In fact, because of the potential for them to be banned soon, I just bought 4 more. My local store sold out of 500 of them today.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:44 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post

You don't have to trust me. I don't care if you do or don't. But again, so long as you have no intention to harm myself or my family, you have nothing to worry about.
Again ... hardly a comfort, just because you say so. You and 70,000 other gun nuts who could shoot their way into my kids' schools, or the mall, or the local movie theater because, you know, they were so trustworthy. Up until they weren't.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:47 PM

998 posts, read 1,215,143 times
Quote:
So don't try to sell the line that the evil-doers are just waiting for the lefties to take away your guns so they can attack, it just makes you sound silly.
I have been held at gunpoint or robbed at gunpoint at least 5 times by 7 different criminals with 7 different guns. 2 times it was right alongside with friends & family. All but once they happened in "Gun Free Areas". The criminals always, Always, ALWAYS had guns in the "Gun Free Areas"! I have a CCW gun license but could not carry in those areas. Not allowing CCW is putting everyones lives in danger.

A gun free zone is a magnet for the mass murdering shooters. Just like rental cars with logo stickers on them became magnets in Florida when they passed CCW laws. After the 1987 Florida CCW law passed the Criminals figured only the tourist were un-armed. Therefore an increasing number of tourists, most of them foreign, were victims of carjackings there. Because tourists in well-marked rental cars became common carjacking victims, Florida passed legislation in 1993 (F.S.A. § 320.0601) that outlawed company logos and license plates that made rental and leased cars obvious.

All we have to do is make everyone else believe that teachers are armed & the schools will suddenly be safer. Only a few teachers actually need to be armed & schools are no longer a target. The guns would be concealed or locked in a safe so the Children would never even know a gun was present.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:48 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Correct, but incomplete..

# of Homicides in the US in 2004 (expiration of the AWB) - 16,148

# of Homicides in the US in 2011 - 14,612 (it's actually a 9.6% reduction in homicides since expiration, but let's not let facts get in the way of a good story)

However in 1994 when the AWB was signed into law there were 23,330 homicides, that's a 30.78% drop in homicides during the life of the AWB for those of you keeping score at home.

United States Crime Rates 1960 - 2011
unless your numbers address how many of those homicides were committed using firearms - specifically, those curtailed by AWB - they don't mean very much.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:48 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Again ... hardly a comfort, just because you say so. You and 70,000 other gun nuts who could shoot their way into my kids' schools, or the mall, or the local movie theater because, you know, they were so trustworthy. Up until they weren't.
"Could" is not "would".

Decisions based on fear are usually not good decisions. Decisions based on knowledge and facts tend to be better.

I think that a discussion about amending the US Constitution is too important a discussion to be mired in fear and possibilities. It needs to be about facts. Fear needs to be set aside.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:50 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:

And yet... millions of gun owners have never done so. My step dad is 71, and has never shot up a school or a mall. He owns a 12 gauge, a 22 hunting rifle, and a pistol. Funny, he's never gone off of the deep end.

My step brother owns a 9 millimeter Beretta, and a 44 Magnum, not to mention a 12 gauge and a 30-30, as well as 2 cross bows. Have I read about him going bat s*** crazy? Nope. Your fears are completely irrational.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:51 PM

322 posts, read 547,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
unless your numbers address how many of those homicides were committed using firearms - specifically, those curtailed by AWB - they don't mean very much.

That differentiation wasn't drawn in the point I was rubbuting either..be consistant in your critique.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:56 PM

998 posts, read 1,215,143 times
Quote:
I am SO glad I'm not a paranoid gun nut. It must be exhausting to see armed criminals under every bed and around every corner. You poor thing!
I don't see criminals everywhere. The fact is I have been held at gunpoint or robbed at gunpoint at least 5 times by 7 different criminals with 7 different guns. 2 times it was right alongside with friends & family. All but once they happened in "Gun Free Areas". The criminals always, Always, ALWAYS had guns in the "Gun Free Areas"! I have a CCW gun license but could not carry in those areas.

Even after those bad experiences I rarely carry my gun. But not allowing CCW is putting everyones lives in danger. I have never had a gun pulled on me since that concealed handgun ban was lifted, so I know for a fact that we are safer when people can legally carry concealed weapons.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:56 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Yes, that's what Nancy Lanza's friends are all saying about her.

And I live within her geographical area. That could just as easily have been my children. So no, I don't trust you and your guns. I'd bet there are plenty of people in Colorado and Oregon who feel the same.
(Raises hand) My daughter lived basically across the street from James Holmes in Aurora. She also went to the same school as him. Mr. Holmes had no police record, either, not until he decided to blow away that movie theater. No, I don't trust people with lots of guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies