Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2012, 10:49 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,939,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Round and round.

If you consider 20 first graders blown to smithereens simply an acceptable price for your "freedoms", then I guess I just remembered why I moved away from Ohio 35 years ago.

Yep. Round and round. More deflection from you. Using a tragedy like this to promote and politicize your agenda! I guess, personal accountabilty and responsibility is a foreign concept for you. Freedom sure is a b*** ain't it? Yep, we need bigger government, and more feel good laws don't we? Answer me this? So you enact laws to control guns, or confiscate guns from citizens alltogether? Sure a lot of people will probably cooperate. But what about the criminals that don't give a crap about the law? Do you have a magic wand that you can wave and "POOF" those guns in the hands of the criminals will just magically disappear?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2012, 10:53 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,939,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
We could live in a locked down prison society to protect everyone. How much freedom are you willing to give up ?

Do you drink socially ? Alcohol kills thousands yearly. To achieve no deaths by alcohol we should ban it 100%. Does your right to have 1 drink override the hundreds of kids slaughtered by drunk drivers ?

B-b-b-but...guns are the only instruments designed to kill people.

At any rate, we've given up enough freedoms in this country because of BS nanny state laws, under the guise of "it's for our own good!" Enough is enough already! Can we invent a time machine to ship these big government types back to the old Soviet Union?

Old 12-20-2012, 10:53 AM

322 posts, read 545,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Well, I don't know if his statistics are accurate or not, but I do know that overall "assault weapons" are responsible for less than 1% of all murders.

And, at the risk of being repetitive, which of the following weapons is an "assault weapon"?

The one on the bottom meets the legal definition as outlined in the 1994 AWB. It has a detachable magazine, a pistol grip, a flash suppressor, and a collapsable stock. That means it's more dangerous and deadly than the one on the top, right?

Well, there's a problem with that. They are both Ruger Mini-14's, just with different cosmetic packages. Take off the wood and plastic and under the hood they're identical. They both fire the same cartridge (.223) at the same rate of speed, and can be loaded with the same magazines.

Banning just the bottom one is meaningless, feel good, symbolism over substance nonsense.
I also cannot independantly verify his statistics, but I would defer to Police Chief in a major metro as a subject matter expert on the topic of Officers killed in the line of duty.

As I've stated previously, the AWB had holes in the sense that the definitional descriptors were not complete..no argument there. BUT where I feel we will always disagree is the claim that the items covered in the AWB are purely cosmetic. I had not intended to share a personal story, but I feel that I have to in order to properly convey the point.

As a 22 year old Patrolman I was tasked with serving a warrant for failure to pay court ordered child support. As my Partner and I approached the residence, my assailant was crossing the street moving away from us. He was dressed in baggy clothing and an open front sport's jersey style shirt, not uncommon for the time as this was the early 90's (think fresh prince of bel air era)..he was not wearing a trench coat in SoCal (to your previous point regarding FL), which would have put me on guard even given my inexperience at this point of my career. As we we're passing his location, he abruptly turned, drew (from under the shirt and pants, using a strap), and fired 3 rounds from his concealed Shotgun. I was struck in the hip, luckily my Partner was not and was able to return fire.

So like I said, you can say over and over that these are purely cosmetic subtle style differences. The fact is, they make execution of crimes easier for those folks motivated to commit them.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:59 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,245,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post

At any rate, we've given up enough freedoms in this country because of BS nanny state laws, under the guise of "it's for our own good!" Enough is enough already! Can we invent a time machine to ship these big government types back to the old Soviet Union?
I keep waiting for the Klingons to come and take you back to the planet where everyone is armed and thinks it's fun to kill.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:00 AM

799 posts, read 2,434,020 times
You wont convince me, I wont convince you.

I respect that anti gun people are entitled to their opinion. The constitution, and law of the land protects my rights as they exist right now. You don't like it, vote to change it. Respect the outcome.

If you cant bear to live with people you view as uncivilized, you are free to move to Washington DC, Chicago, NYC, etc etc. I am free to stay in Texas.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:01 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,245,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
We could live in a locked down prison society to protect everyone. How much freedom are you willing to give up ?

Do you drink socially ? Alcohol kills thousands yearly. To achieve no deaths by alcohol we should ban it 100%. Does your right to have 1 drink override the hundreds of kids slaughtered by drunk drivers ?
We have laws against drinking and driving. And whether I drink or not, I don't spend my time on Internet forums urging that everyone else should get loaded, too.

Argument fail. I expect more of same from you in your next post, however, until your next NRA email arrives with new talking points.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:07 AM

40,930 posts, read 48,931,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
We have laws against drinking and driving. And whether I drink or not, I don't spend my time on Internet forums urging that everyone else should get loaded, too.

Argument fail. I expect more of same from you in your next post, however, until your next NRA email arrives with new talking points.
You avoid answering the question. We also have laws against criminals and the mentally unstable having guns.

How much freedom are you willing to give up? Should alcohol not be 100% banned since so many are killed by it's use ?

Give us your opinion on these 2 issues.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:08 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,733,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Please....someone....explain to me how a real live human being can keep going around in these same circles and not begin to see the big picture....
You don't get it Again, as it is written, the gun law worked, if he had no guns, what would have stopped him from throwing a gasoline bomb or two through the window? I am convinced that if these type of people are bent on doing this, will find a way, gun or no gun. Timothy Mcveigh and his type come to mind.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:13 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,733,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post

Yes, progressive liberals know whats best for us.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:20 AM

2,677 posts, read 2,608,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLay36 View Post
So like I said, you can say over and over that these are purely cosmetic subtle style differences. The fact is, they make execution of crimes easier for those folks motivated to commit them.
I'm sorry you got shot, and damn glad you survived.

That said, would the AWB have prevented it? Did he purchase the shotgun legally? Was it legal for him to be carrying in the manner he was? And, and I don't mean to be glib, but isn't there a law against shooting at cops?

My point is that all the laws in the world didn't prevent your personal tragedy. I'm guessing he broke 5 or 6 laws designed to prevent him from shooting at you, and sadly, it still happened.

But, to try to circle back to being a bit more on topic, how would the assault weapons ban as implemented have prevented what happened to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies