Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2012, 08:53 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I'd be happy if cooler heads in the NRA than the ones wetting their pants all over the forums right now would engage in answering that question. Do normal hunters/gun collectors really need 5,000 rounds of ammo in their closet?
I am not a member of the NRA. I may join, I may not, I have not yet decided.

That said, depending on one's shooting habits, 5,000 rounds may or may not be a lot. I go to the range 1-2 times a month. On average, I go through 100-150 rounds while there, so 5,000 rounds would last me 40 months, or a little over 3 years.

However, I would go more often but for the cost factor. If cost wasn't a factor, I'd go at least once a week, probably more, and would likely pop off way more than 100 rounds, so 5,000 may only be a couple of months of range time if they were free.

That said, while it's highly unlikely, a societal ending event, such as a widespread EMP, is something that has a possibility greater than zero, and having sufficient ammo on hand to survive such a thing could be the difference between life and death.

Right now, I have 180 rounds of ammo for my AR. 80 of those rounds are intended for range use, while the other 100 are much more expensive "Oh, crap, I have to kill someone for real" rounds. Those are, simultaneously, more deadly for my target, and less deadly for innocent bystanders, because they'll do much more damage than a range round would, but are less likely to go through a wall, or my target, and hit someone in the background.

That is more than sufficient for any "normal" personal defense situation I might find myself in. However, if TEOTWAWKI happens, I'm probably in trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2012, 08:57 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Don't presume to know jack squat about a stranger on the internet. I own guns and I don't want to take you're. But I would like our country to quit selling high capacity magazines, close the gun shows down that don't do back ground checks, don't allow guns to be sold over the internet, and have uniform guns laws from state to state. I also don't want to turn elementary schools into armed camps. That's no way to bring up children. The solutions to the violence in this country has come from many directions and it's not going to be a quick fit and involves: better mental health treatment and availability, walking back the violence in movies and videos (voluntarily not by law), AND it would be nice if the gun owners would start engaging in the debate in some other way than just to say "we need more guns" in the streets. "Don't take my guns away." Come up with some meaningful ways to keep guns out of the hands of the loony tunes, teenagers without adult supervision, and that included doing something about that small portion of loony tune, paranoid individuals in the gun culture who are stock piling enough fire power take on the U.S. Army. If we can cut off a drunk from buying more drinks, then we can cap people who seem to need 5,000 rounds of ammo to feel safe i.e. how is that not a mental illness?
What drunks have you cut off from buying more drinks?

Owning ammo is now a mental disease in your mind? Maybe your the one who needs to be checked out.

If anything the kneejerk reation from the gun grabbers have caused those so called nuts to go purchase more and more LEGAL arms. You see there are already laws on the books to prevent the ILLEGAL acquisition of said arms but you can't seem to figure out that criminals and murderers (which is also against the law) don't seem to follow the law to begin with. What the hell is banning a 30 round clip gonna do? Absolutely nothing that is what. Just more stupid feel good nonsense which won't help anything. But it will make folks feel good and they will fawn over these idiot politicians for "doing something" and that is all that really matters to them to begin with.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
They foresee a time of societal collapse,
It's highly unlikely. However, the possibility is greater than zero.

The most likely scenario to cause such a thing is an EMP caused by a massive solar flare. Now, the last time a solar flare of sufficient intensity happened was 1868, so it's not impossible. In fact, it's inevitable, not a question of if, but when.

If it happens tomorrow, we're in big, big trouble. Hopefully, over the upcoming months, years, and decades, we'll beef up our electronics so that when the inevitable does happen, it'll be no big deal.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:00 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
As long as these guys are law abiding there is no reason to restrict what they do or collect.

A little paranoia is not a bad thing. Do you trust your Govt 100% ?
Obviously they think all one needs to do is call 911 like they are told. Then they come on here screaming about how when 911 shows up they got shot. So again how is 911 supposed to protect you? Simple answer is they can't. They show up in time to clean up the mess which is in many cases your loved ones and family.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:42 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What drunks have you cut off from buying more drinks?

Owning ammo is now a mental disease in your mind? Maybe your the one who needs to be checked out.

If anything the kneejerk reation from the gun grabbers have caused those so called nuts to go purchase more and more LEGAL arms. You see there are already laws on the books to prevent the ILLEGAL acquisition of said arms but you can't seem to figure out that criminals and murderers (which is also against the law) don't seem to follow the law to begin with. What the hell is banning a 30 round clip gonna do? Absolutely nothing that is what. Just more stupid feel good nonsense which won't help anything. But it will make folks feel good and they will fawn over these idiot politicians for "doing something" and that is all that really matters to them to begin with.
I wasn't speaking of me personally, but bars cut people off from drinking all the time when they think they've had too much too drink.

You said: "What the hell is banning a 30 round clip going to do?" It's going to slow down a 17 old kid in a theater, mall or school if he has to reload after every 10 shots instead of 30 or more. It's going to give victims a few seconds to run for cover and in the case of law enforcement the chance to get a return shot off or someone to jump a shooter while he reloads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Obviously they think all one needs to do is call 911 like they are told. Then they come on here screaming about how when 911 shows up they got shot. So again how is 911 supposed to protect you? Simple answer is they can't. They show up in time to clean up the mess which is in many cases your loved ones and family.
Just out of curiosity how many times have you had to use your gun out to protect your home from an intruder? Or your self for that matter? Between my husband's and mine sides of the family and all our friends and co-workers I only know one person who ever had a break in or been a victim of any other type of crime.

Old 12-25-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
You said: "What the hell is banning a 30 round clip going to do?" It's going to slow down a 17 old kid in a theater, mall or school if he has to reload after every 10 shots instead of 30 or more. It's going to give victims a few seconds to run for cover and in the case of law enforcement the chance to get a return shot off or someone to jump a shooter while he reloads.
Do you know how long it takes to reload, assuming that A: You've prepped mags ahead of time, and B: You don't care about retrieving empties?

About 1.5 seconds.

Not enough time to make any significant difference.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
The federal govt doesn't have the power.

It wouldn't have enough support.

It'll never happen. This is America...
For now....

Old 12-26-2012, 05:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
I wasn't speaking of me personally, but bars cut people off from drinking all the time when they think they've had too much too drink.

Just out of curiosity how many times have you had to use your gun out to protect your home from an intruder? Or your self for that matter? Between my husband's and mine sides of the family and all our friends and co-workers I only know one person who ever had a break in or been a victim of any other type of crime.
It's a nice thought that but I point to that huge University shooting not long ago where all the victims pretty much fell like sheep in a pen.
As the "Talkmaster" in Atlanta said very succinctly, "why didn't anyone attempt to jump him or group rush him while he reloaded?" "They had to know they were going to die one way or another". I'd offer up the opinion that many were waiting, no, banking on the police to rescue them and unfortunately died waiting.

Kind of along the lines of the policies of airlines up until 9/11 which were to always accede to and comply with any demands of a hostile on the plane and let the police deal with them. Obviously they learned their lessons about not vigorously fighting back and do so now.
Then you have the school shooting on a reservation not all that long ago. Shooter starts letting loose and some young,overweight kid realizing what was going to happen jumped up and used the only weapon in his possession, a pencil. He rushed the shooter and stabbed him in the abdomen. Unfortunately the pencil broke as the shooter was wearing body armor and the kid was shot multiple times but he still continued to wrestle with the guy allowing his defeat. So you know, the kid survived as did the others.
These are the lessons we need to remember and take to heart.
You don't KNOW when or if you will be faced with a situation that may result in death or injury and you certainly (as the past shows) cannot count on "the other guy" or the police to save you so why not (instead of being a sheeple) do your level best to protect yourself?
There's always has and will always be warped people living among us who will use whatever to commit the mayhem they are looking for like mowing down a crowd of people with their car while shouting "allah akbar" as happened in the not to distant past.
Personally I WANT the people who have guns to use as much ammo as they need to so as to stay familiar and accurate with their weapon. Practice,practice,practice and hope,pray that the situation never arises where they'll have to put all that practice to the test.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:50 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
Quote:

Here we have a classic example of someone with a Statist view that the Government can fix everything through regulation and bureaucracy. You think that Law Enforcement will be there in time?

Law Enforcement shows up after the incident has already happened. What you advocate is limiting and even taking away an individuals ability to defend themselves.

Limits on ammunition? Ammunition is like any other commodity and has real intrinsic value. No different than the folks who stockpile or collect coins/silver/gold/bottle caps, etc... Ammunition seems to always go up in price, so why not have a few thousand rounds to insulate against price increases.

I also suggest that you go down to your local PD and turn in your firearms.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:52 AM

110 posts, read 235,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
The federal govt doesn't have the power.

It wouldn't have enough support.

It'll never happen. This is America...

You don`t think there will be enough support? Well you just wait and get the surprise within the next 3 months. By the way, the President has the power to introduce an emergency decree to save lives, and he is determined.....and has the guts to get the job done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies