Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2012, 08:12 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,307,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Here we have a classic example of someone with a Statist view that the Government can fix everything through regulation and bureaucracy. You think that Law Enforcement will be there in time?

Law Enforcement shows up after the incident has already happened. What you advocate is limiting and even taking away an individuals ability to defend themselves.

Limits on ammunition? Ammunition is like any other commodity and has real intrinsic value. No different than the folks who stockpile or collect coins/silver/gold/bottle caps, etc... Ammunition seems to always go up in price, so why not have a few thousand rounds to insulate against price increases.

I also suggest that you go down to your local PD and turn in your firearms.
Who are you trying to kid? Stockpiling ammo has no relationship what so ever or comparison to collecting coins or bottle caps, etc. People who collect coins or bottle caps don't collect 1,000 of all the exact same design/year/brand. True gun collectors don't even collect a dozen of the same, exact model/year either. Paranoid people who think they're going to take on the U.S. government stock pile ammo and guns with a whole different criteria for what they stockpile and the criteria is based on fire power. They could care less about having examples of various eras/manufactures/mints/styles/markers of design changes etc. the way coin/gun/bottle cap collectors do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2012, 08:18 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barocko7 View Post
You don`t think there will be enough support? Well you just wait and get the surprise within the next 3 months. By the way, the President has the power to introduce an emergency decree to save lives, and he is determined.....and has the guts to get the job done!
I'm sorry, I'm not buying. You're making him out to be like a king (he's not in case you've missed something) with omnipotent powers and being that he's NOT King Obama and isn't omnipotent he still has to deal with a nasty thing called the Constitution,Congress and SCOTUS.

He "may" get support from the more rabid dems but I'm certain the majority know which side their bread is buttered on and would not,repeat NOT want to face an already unhappy,unemployed public whipped up about "emergency decrees" (sounds ridiculous just writing it) with mid-terms ahead.
Although, maybe he should "try" and do that. Come mid terms the other side of the isle would own both houses then I'd bet and he'd be neutered for the next 4 years.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:30 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,596 times
Quote:
You don`t think there will be enough support? Well you just wait and get the surprise within the next 3 months. By the way, the President has the power to introduce an emergency decree to save lives, and he is determined.....and has the guts to get the job done!
Nope. Obama can't issue a executive order of this type or scope.

Congress will never pass a law.

The supreme court will neuter any attempt to.

Fool. This is why we have a constitution.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:41 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,206,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Who are you trying to kid? Stockpiling ammo has no relationship what so ever or comparison to collecting coins or bottle caps, etc. People who collect coins or bottle caps don't collect 1,000 of all the exact same design/year/brand. True gun collectors don't even collect a dozen of the same, exact model/year either. Paranoid people who think they're going to take on the U.S. government stock pile ammo and guns with a whole different criteria for what they stockpile and the criteria is based on fire power. They could care less about having examples of various eras/manufactures/mints/styles/markers of design changes etc. the way coin/gun/bottle cap collectors do.
I know it must make the brain hurt here, but people have the RIGHT to collect whatever the heck they want. Just because you deem something dangerous and don't trust yourself with it, doesn't mean that others cannot.

I gave you reasons why people buy ammo in bulk, but you glossed over that and changed it to being paranoid.

Not going to waste my time debating ignorance.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:57 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,307,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
I know it must make the brain hurt here, but people have the RIGHT to collect whatever the heck they want. Just because you deem something dangerous and don't trust yourself with it, doesn't mean that others cannot.

I gave you reasons why people buy ammo in bulk, but you glossed over that and changed it to being paranoid.

Not going to waste my time debating ignorance.
And I have pointed out there is a difference between collecting and hoarding. You're only defense of hoarding and stockpiling enough ammo to take on the U.S. Army is that it has value and the hoarder is worried about inflation.

Old 12-26-2012, 09:57 AM

110 posts, read 235,235 times
Default Presidential decree in times of emergency

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Nope. Obama can't issue a executive order of this type or scope.

Congress will never pass a law.

The supreme court will neuter any attempt to.

Fool. This is why we have a constitution.
Well you just wait and see for yourself what lies ahead of this issue!
An Override through a presidential decree can be introduced in a national emergency if needed. The lawmaking and approval by Congress etc., would then surely be applied for in a separate legal channel as appropriate.

Before you call other people "Fools", you should read more about presidential powers. YES,Obama can issue a presidential decree in times of national emergency. Its the Presidents job to also protect America from harm, and thats exactly what hes working on right now.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:01 AM

110 posts, read 235,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'm sorry, I'm not buying. You're making him out to be like a king (he's not in case you've missed something) with omnipotent powers and being that he's NOT King Obama and isn't omnipotent he still has to deal with a nasty thing called the Constitution,Congress and SCOTUS.

He "may" get support from the more rabid dems but I'm certain the majority know which side their bread is buttered on and would not,repeat NOT want to face an already unhappy,unemployed public whipped up about "emergency decrees" (sounds ridiculous just writing it) with mid-terms ahead.
Although, maybe he should "try" and do that. Come mid terms the other side of the isle would own both houses then I'd bet and he'd be neutered for the next 4 years.

An Override through a presidential decree can be introduced in a national emergency if needed. his has nothing to do with making him a "King", simply ridiculous what your saying.

The lawmaking and approval by Congress etc., would then surely be applied for in a separate legal channel as appropriate.

Inform yourself more about "presidential powers" before jumping to your own conclusions.

YES,Obama can issue a presidential decree in times of national emergency. Its the Presidents job to also protect America from harm, and that is exactly what he is working on right now.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
An Override through a presidential decree can be introduced in a national emergency if needed. The lawmaking and approval by Congress etc., would then surely be applied for in a separate legal channel as appropriate.

Before you call other people "Fools", you should read more about presidential powers. YES,Obama can issue a presidential decree in times of national emergency. Its the Presidents job to also protect America from harm, and thats exactly what hes working on right now.
Well, I guess we'll have to see. It'll also be very interesting to see the public reaction if you're anywhere close to being correct.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:04 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,994,436 times
Quote:
I wasn't speaking of me personally, but bars cut people off from drinking all the time when they think they've had too much too drink.

You said: "What the hell is banning a 30 round clip going to do?" It's going to slow down a 17 old kid in a theater, mall or school if he has to reload after every 10 shots instead of 30 or more. It's going to give victims a few seconds to run for cover and in the case of law enforcement the chance to get a return shot off or someone to jump a shooter while he reloads.

Just out of curiosity how many times have you had to use your gun out to protect your home from an intruder? Or your self for that matter? Between my husband's and mine sides of the family and all our friends and co-workers I only know one person who ever had a break in or been a victim of any other type of crime.
So you haven't cut anybody off from "drinking" until they are drunk. Your making no sense. They can just go to the liquor store and get more if they want it anyway. And I don't really care about drinking. You don't have a right to drink. I have a right to bear arms.

So banning your 30 round clip won't do anything to stop a theatre or mass shooting. I agree. You are back to waiting till the cops show up. The five seconds it takes to drop a clip and slap another one in is meaningless. What if the idiot just brings in 3 loaded pistols instead of the dreaded AR-15 and a 30 round clip?

I've never had my home broken into. If it ever is I will have something waiting for whoever does the breaking hopefully. Unless you folks get your way because you seem to want to disarm the ones who follow the law all because we have a new boogyman in the USofA the "mall shooter". It was Bin Laden for twenty years used to take our rights now it's each other. The great uniter at work.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
And I have pointed out there is a difference between collecting and hoarding. You're only defense of hoarding and stockpiling enough ammo to take on the U.S. Army is that it has value and the hoarder is worried about inflation.
While we're not buying ammo in "bulk" we did just purchase a multi-stage progressive loader and will start loading our own. I intend to punch out a few thousand rounds of each caliber we use.
Not to hoard,not because we think we're going to be attacked but because it's way CHEAPER that way so we can shoot more and get/stay more proficient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies