Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2012, 05:22 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
On this we can agree! When we were looking for a Neuropsychiatrist to diagnose our son to see if he was autistic (he is) there was a choice between 1 and only 1. The wait time was long and the price was not cheap (about $1000) and it was a fight just to get referred since nobody who was supposed to under federal law wanted to spend the time or money to do the basic testing to get to the doctor's door.
I'm so sorry, Jimi.
We sorely need a better way to handle people who require mental help in this country. This is aside from the gun control issue. One way or another, this is a gaping hole in our health services function.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 06:42 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,163,488 times
Quote:
Nope, try again.
I wasn't talking about Aspergers, but real hardcore autistics like I used to work with. I know Aspergers is supposed to be at one end of the autism spectrum, but that just doesn't fit in with what I've experienced - Aspies and autists are different critters.

Old 12-30-2012, 06:16 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I wasn't talking about Aspergers, but real hardcore autistics like I used to work with. I know Aspergers is supposed to be at one end of the autism spectrum, but that just doesn't fit in with what I've experienced - Aspies and autists are different critters.
Fair enough. As for Aspies being at the end of the spectrum I guess that's no more. It's been wrapped fully into Autism (NOS) if I understand the changes in DSMV 5 correctly. I'm guessing because Aspies covered such a wide and different parts of Autism depending on the Aspie.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:44 AM

15,086 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Don't presume to know jack squat about a stranger on the internet. I own guns and I don't want to take you're.
Ha! Talk about people presuming? You seem to feel perfectly comfortable presuming what 300 Million of your fellow Americans need and don't need with regard to the firearms and volume of ammunition they possess? And don't feed us this line about owning guns ... you wouldn't say some of the ridiculous things you've said, if that were true.

Quote:
But I would like our country to quit selling high capacity magazines, close the gun shows down that don't do back ground checks, don't allow guns to be sold over the internet, and have uniform guns laws from state to state.
You promote these things because you base your opinions on poor knowledge and a lack of understanding of the issues. It's this type of shallow, surface analysis, knee jerk reactionary mindsets that are oblivious to the greater implications of that which you promote. The "Gun Show" matter is one such issue that illustrates your short sighted and narrow view of the larger reality that more thoughtful people cannot allow to be compromised, because it isn't just about guns ... this involves the fundamental freedom to enjoy private party transactions without government interference or permission. To protect a free society and a free market economy, this right is essential. Whether it be firearms, or musical instruments, or furniture, the implications of government seizing the authority to prohibit such free market activity is antithetical to the very foundation of liberty, and defines and promotes a command market economy where government controls such private party activity ... COMRADE. That defines the foundational philosophy of communist-statist authoritarianism.

Furthermore, background checks are an extremely flawed idea, and a "feel-good" only measure, that encroaches on the personal privacy of law abiding citizens. Similar to the absurdity of TSA squeezing your breasts in the airport for the sake of public safety, background data bases are poorly implemented and fatally flawed, thereby rendering those checks rather useless. You have to be a total idiot to think such egregious behavior of government goons in our nation's airports have anything to do with legitimate security, and the background check and waiting periods and so forth are similarly ineffective and objectionable for a variety of reasons. What such registration does do is create a data base of gun owners and their personal details, useful to despotic politicians who might use such a list should they decide to institute an unconstitutional confiscation of firearms. Such registration also facilitates privacy violations like that deliberately committed by that news group who recently created that interactive map of gun owners in New York, jeopardizing not only the gun owners privacy and safety, but also the safety and security of those who were simultaneously identified as not owning firearms by the simple process of elimination. But you lefties aren't very bright, and seemingly too dogmatic to recognize the self destructive and counter productive nature of your own absurd actions. Under the guise of promoting gun control, ostensibly for the alleged purpose of keeping firearms out of the hands of criminals, this obnoxious action created a treasure map for criminals wanting to know where to plan burglaries that will net them firearms, and which potential households were unlikely to be able to defend themselves against invasion.

Quote:
I also don't want to turn elementary schools into armed camps. That's no way to bring up children.
So, what you are saying is that you'd prefer your children to be in a school where the only person with a firearm is the intruder-criminal-psychopath wearing a ski mask, rather than a school that has good guys with guns who could to stop the psychopath from murdering your kids? This shows just how delusional you people really are!!

Quote:
The solutions to the violence in this country has come from many directions and it's not going to be a quick fit and involves: better mental health treatment and availability, walking back the violence in movies and videos (voluntarily not by law), AND it would be nice if the gun owners would start engaging in the debate in some other way than just to say "we need more guns" in the streets. "Don't take my guns away." Come up with some meaningful ways to keep guns out of the hands of the loony tunes, teenagers without adult supervision, and that included doing something about that small portion of loony tune, paranoid individuals in the gun culture who are stock piling enough fire power take on the U.S. Army. If we can cut off a drunk from buying more drinks, then we can cap people who seem to need 5,000 rounds of ammo to feel safe i.e. how is that not a mental illness?
This is one garbled, confused, bundle of idealistic nonsense. The plain simple truth is, there can be no meaningful dialog with people who's ideas and prescriptions for preventing gun crimes involve the patently stupid idea of disarming the law abiding people who do not commit such crimes, and particularly when such law abiding gun owners actually prevent thousands of such violent crimes, saving countless innocent lives each year. This is why we cannot have meaningful discussion .... there is no rationality or reason in your position. It's literally promoting the cause as some sort of cure, which those with rational minds automatically reject.

The fact that you either have no grasp of, or choose to totally ignore the implications and unintended consequences of what you promote, precludes any reasonable discussion with you. When you insist on a course that is totally unreasonable, your call for "reasonable debate" is nothing more than the demand for agreeing with poorly conceived ideas. That does not define reasonable debate, that defines dictation.

Among your crowd, it is pretty universal that you don't understand the issues ... like the limit on magazine capacity ... it's a ridiculous notion that demonstrates your ignorance of the ease and rapidity for which lower capacity magazines can be changed, making such a law TOTALLY worthless. What you do not realize is that those who promote such nonsense understand what a useless tactic that really is, and the underlying agenda is to incrementally move forward just another step toward outright bans of any semi-auto weapon, and all magazines of any capacity.

The same can be said of an arbitrary restrictions on the volume of ammunition someone can buy or possess before being labeled a mentally ill anarchist enemy of the state, as decided by those who neither possess the right nor the common sense to make such idiotic determinations. I've heard the nitwits suggesting everything from 50 to 500 round limits for possession. These morons apparently have no idea that it takes 500-1,000 rounds just to break in a good 1911 .45 and evaluate/adjust it's performance. And enthusiasts who really want to keep their skills honed, will run through a couple thousand rounds in no time at all. The fact that ammunition observes the same market fundamentals of economy of scale that most other things do, buying in bulk quantities can reduce the costs by 50% ... which is significant given the outrageous price of ammunition these days, which can cost $1.00 per round and more in small 20 count boxes, but $.50 and less per round in 1200 round dry boxes. That's huge savings for someone who goes to a range and runs 200 rounds through their pistol, which can be quite expensive these days.

Then of course we have other politico nitwits suggesting as much as 50 cents to a dollar per round tax on ammo, combined with inflation and ever rising prices on everything ... you shouldn't wonder why people might want to stockpile 5,000 rounds of ammo. It's not rocket science, nor a big mystery, nor preparation to fight US NorthCom, it's a simple matter of economics. Suggesting that people who stockpile ammo are mentally ill, or are lunatics preparing to engage the US Military, just paints "Clueless" across your forehead.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
I came across this fun fact and just had to share.
Let's play a little game here called "did you know".
Did you know In 2005, there were 16,692 people murdered in the United States. The number of murders committed with a rifle that year: 445 (2.7 percent of all murders). The number of people killed with hammers and clubs in 2005: 605.

Did you know?
In 2006, the total number of murders jumped up to 17,030, 438 were killed with a rifle and 618 were killed with a hammer or club.

Did you know?
In 2011, 14,612 were murdered. This time, 323 with a rifle and 496 people were killed with a hammer or club.

Well what do you know? Hmmmm?????

Old 01-05-2013, 06:47 AM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Did you know In 2005, there were 16,692 people murdered in the United States. The number of murders committed with a rifle that year: 445 (2.7 percent of all murders). The number of people killed with hammers and clubs in 2005: 605.

Did you know?
In 2006, the total number of murders jumped up to 17,030, 438 were killed with a rifle and 618 were killed with a hammer or club.

Did you know?
In 2011, 14,612 were murdered. This time, 323 with a rifle and 496 people were killed with a hammer or club.

Anti gun people will not listen to this....these numbers go straight over their heads....

The first response from these people are: How many mass murders happened with a hammer those years.....

Watch, they don't care that the mean old "Black rifle" had less than 1% of the murders those years....

Old 01-05-2013, 09:10 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,451,425 times
Quote:

Did you know?

Did you know?

I love how people just pull stats and figures out of nowhere to push their own agenda

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Old 01-05-2013, 10:02 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
I love how people just pull stats and figures out of nowhere to push their own agenda

Those stats are available on the FBI Crime Reports website. In other words, they aren't pulled out of nowhere

Old 01-05-2013, 10:55 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,971,076 times
The US may have more per capita gun deaths than in other countries, but in Wikipedia it said half the gun deaths in the US are suicides.

See, there are more issues here. It's not just that guns should be banned or that big brother is trying to install some sort of repressive regime.

There are evidently people who see guns as a way out of an intolerable life. This again points to the severe lack of mental health help in this country, and also the need for a right to die law.

Again, it seems much easier to make a comment about banning guns than it is about unifying mental health treatment and making it available to everyone. From what I read, Ms.Lanza had a really tough time in trying to get some sort of effective help for her son.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:07 AM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post

It is truly amazing, is it not, how people can push their agenda, not knowing the facts....but those don't matter.....just like those facts that you say are "pulled out of nowhere" are actual facts that come from the FBI......

Sorry you are having a hard time....it's not the mean old "Black Rifle" that needs to be worried about....facts people like you will never understand....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies