Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2012, 07:43 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,184,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I don't think that would make much of a difference if you still can go to a neighboring state to get a semi automatic weapon.
After the BATF and FBI come looking for you. You just broke the law. Gun Control Act 1968.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 07:44 PM

10,179 posts, read 11,159,885 times
All those lil babies- murdered :*( I cried today over this, how many others have?

Prayers for all the victims and their loved ones. And, for the children and adults, who will be traumatized - for life over this.

What a sad world we live in. No one is safe. Not our children, not ourselves.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:44 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Yes, they can. All they have to do is not share that they're mentally ill.

I watched a friend of mine in my early 20s amass a stockpile that included a 50cal, ak-47, ar-15, and many handguns, he had actually been institutionalized twice.
Well I've done a little research. Guess who opposes a national database of tbe mentally ill? Hint: it ain't the gun lovers.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:46 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Well, sure, if that's what you want to call a decently-functioning civilized society where children are not shot up in a classroom...

You guys never have any answer to this other than "everyone should just arm themselves to the teeth and live every moment of every day in full combat mode like Nam."

That is not how civilized societies should have to operate - and they don't, if you look around the world.
And what are some examples of "civilized societies"? And why would be like them when we are a different kind of society.

Mexico forbids guns, it has strict gun laws. Yet it has more homicides than we have. We would be far more like Mexico than probably one of your "civilized societies".

Old 12-14-2012, 07:47 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earlyretired View Post
What a lifesaving law!!!
Reports are that the rifle was found in the trunk. Maybe if it had been a "folder" he could have gotten in the school. Who knows. I agree though, laws against the "cosmetics" of a weapon are kind of ridiculous.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:47 PM

4,919 posts, read 4,832,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I don't think that would make much of a difference if you still can go to a neighboring state to get a semi automatic weapon.
Or to Eric Holder!

Old 12-14-2012, 07:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Or they're not tough enough.

Time for all the gun advocates who don't believe in any oversight or regulations to do some serious soul searching.
How much tougher can Connecticut laws be? Should we have gun laws as strict as Mexico's?

Are you claiming that prohibition works? Do you believe the black market doesn't exist and that making guns as illegal as pot or meth would solve the problem?

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Well I've done a little research. Guess who opposes a national database of tbe mentally ill? Hint: it ain't the gun lovers.
I don't think there needs to be a database.

Better off would be yearly registration with a doctors certification if you want to own a gun.

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Quote:
I am an avid gamer.

I only recently started shooting guns at a range. The first time I went to shoot handguns, I thought that I would be awesome at it, since I'm awesome at those video games.

Yeah, no. It's totally different to shoot an actual gun than to use a controller and shoot something on the screen. The first time I shot a glock it felt like a bomb going off in my hand, and I came nowhere near the target.
I grew up shooting guns and taking martial arts; I've been in plenty of fights and brawls in my younger, less discrete years... any time I pick up a first-person shooter with friends, I get slaughtered in short form, no matter how familiar I am with the controls or the game itself, by friends whom I could easily destroy in real life were it to come to that. I don't think that video games are training simulators for unstable people to go on killing sprees.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:50 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,603,960 times
Quote:
I don't think there needs to be a database.

Better off would be yearly registration with a doctors certification if you want to own a gun.
Whoa. Talk about arming the criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies