Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you predict that federal laws pertaining to semi-automatic handgun ownership will become more str
Yes, but I'm personally opposed to new restrictions. 34 21.94%
Yes, and I'm personally in favor of new restrictions. 43 27.74%
No, I don't believe that new restrictions will be actually be enacted--I don't support gun control. 42 27.10%
No, and it's shameful that new restrictions won't be enacted--I'm in favor of more gun control. 36 23.23%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 07:24 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
After stating your case, you would be vetted and your permit would allow you to purchase what has been determined to be a reasonable amount for your purposes. Too many purchases, or you exceed the amount, you get a visit from the ATF - or better yet, you simply are denied at the point of purchase. Or, you purchase the ammo at the range, use what you want, and then return the rest for credit - I like that idea better, no large amount of ammunition in your home.
Why should the gangsters in my neighborhood care about any of that, it won't slow down their killing of innocent people or robbing law abiding citizens. They can still carry all the guns they want because they don't care too much about laws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 07:25 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Define "large amount".
Well, if you want me to decide, I'd give all of you gun lovers one Barney Fife bullet. When that one's gone, you get another...

I have no idea of what a "large amount" would be. I guess that it would depend on the needs the person applying for a permit. Except for target practice, for which you would purchase bullets at the range, I can't think of a reason why anyone would need very large amounts of hand gun ammunition.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
Why should the gangsters in my neighborhood care about any of that, it won't slow down their killing of innocent people or robbing law abiding citizens. They can still carry all the guns they want because they don't care too much about laws.
You can keep your guns - and I'll even throw in a bullet or two for each of them. That should protect you from all the gun wielding gangsters who roam your neighborhood. Do you feel safer now?

Old 12-15-2012, 07:30 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
Quote:
You can keep your guns - and I'll even throw in a bullet or two for each of them. That should protect you from all the gun wielding gangsters that roam your neighborhood. Do you feel safer now?
Actually I do, thanks. It's better than walking around defensless.

Old 12-15-2012, 07:34 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
After stating your case, you would be vetted and your permit would allow you to purchase what has been determined to be a reasonable amount for your purposes.
Define "reasonable" and who other than me determines my "purposes".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
Define "large amount".
See above.

Quote:
Well, if you want me to decide, I'd give all of you gun lovers one Barney Fife bullet. When that one's gone, you get another...

I have no idea of what a "large amount" would be. I guess that it would depend on the needs the person applying for a permit. Except for target practice, for which you would purchase bullets at the range, I can't think of a reason why anyone would need very large amounts of hand gun ammunition.
And who determines what my "needs" are? I typically have at least several hundred rounds in my gun safe, plus what is kept loaded in my go-to gun. Do you think 6 is reasonable? 12? 20? 100? Of each caliber or total? I have 9mm, .22, .38, .380, 5.56mm, .223, .45.... etc.

I buy in bulk as range prices are outrageous. And what would limit me from casting and loading my own?

Old 12-15-2012, 08:52 AM

490 posts, read 650,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
How typical, liberals have no problem murdering the unborn but when 20 REAL babies are killed all they want to do is ban guns and make excuses for the murderer. Radical rightwing people are consistent, they think BOTH killings should be illegal would want both people who kill children punished, the people who perform abortions and the murderer. Liberals on the other hand don't care about aborted babies and only care about banning guns when children are murdered.

You people are disgusting and pathetic. You just can't wait to dance in the blood of those children, can you.
I've heard a lot of backwoods things in my life but this takes the cake.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:24 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,226,066 times
Look at other countries, for example Switzerland..some Facts for those that care to be informed..

Police statistics for the year 2006[12] records 34 killings or attempted killings involving firearms, compared to 69 cases involving bladed weapons and 16 cases of unarmed assault. Cases of assault resulting in bodily harm numbered 89 (firearms) and 526 (bladed weapons). As of 2007, Switzerland had a population of about 7,600,000. This would put the rate of killings or attempted killings with firearms at about one for every quarter million residents yearly. This represents a decline of aggravated assaults involving firearms since the early 1990s. The majority of gun crimes involving domestic violence are perpetrated with army ordnance weapons, while the majority of gun crime outside the domestic sphere involves illegally held firearms.[13]
The low incidence of gun crime in Switzerland is sometimes attributed to the fact that Switzerland is wealthy but also isolated. Social problems associated with gun crime in other industrialised countries, such as drugs or urban deprivation, are not widespread. Swiss men and women learn from an early age to associate firearms with defense of their country.[14] While Switzerland has a strong 'Gun Culture', and hunting is popular, the high level of support for guns in the home is largely based around the fact that Militia service is such a strong part of Swiss society. In Switzerland the vast majority of gun related deaths are from suicide rather than homicide.

It's a social issue here, and the facts support it. As a gun owner, and someone who has enjoyed using them for hunting and recreation since being a child, this disturbing act involved someone who was clearly insane. My guns are locked up, as by law here, and have Never had an incident involving there use. I'm sure most legally owning gun owners will attest to the same. We follow the laws, we had training in using them safely, and we are not Insane. Do i believe in mandatory back round checks and restrictions..yes.
But the simple minded argument to Ban guns is Insane in it's own rite. I know many woman, who have a license to carry, out of fear of being raped or assaulted, you don't see them on the news killing the masses.
It's disturbing reading some of the posts here, as i feel the next Insane person is looking right at us making posts. This is a social issue, and a testament that this country has been in a downward spiral for years, and we are now seeing the results.
Political correctness out of control, and catering to the Minority, not the Majority..and of course, god forbid someones "feeling" get hurt. It's ironic many of these killings happen at school's, perhaps we need to take a look at the current teaching system, and how that has CHANGED in the past 20 years. Are they not some of the most influential people on children.
I find this whole tragedy, just that, a tragedy and am sickened by it. But to say Ban guns and the problems will go away is utter nonsense.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Big Brother taking your guns will not keep you safe from mass violence.

If someone is intent on making a "social statement" by committing mass killings they will do so and find a way to do it.
We already know they don't fear death because they have taken their lives after committing these acts.
Like suicide bombers.

Would you rather see that start happening in the US ?

Old 12-15-2012, 10:07 AM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,486,586 times
Interesting...The recent knife attack in China left 23 people INJURED. Not dead.

People can carry guns..as many as they want. But you better know where every one of them is at all times and be certain that they stay OUT OF THE HANDS of unstable family members, strangers, friends, etc.

This is where the problems lies. Guns are being used on the innocent.

I hardly ever read any stories where a person was armed and fought off an intruder and saved people. It's ususally the opposite..someone gets angry and kills a family member.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Define "reasonable" and who other than me determines my "purposes".

See above.

And who determines what my "needs" are? I typically have at least several hundred rounds in my gun safe, plus what is kept loaded in my go-to gun. Do you think 6 is reasonable? 12? 20? 100? Of each caliber or total? I have 9mm, .22, .38, .380, 5.56mm, .223, .45.... etc.

I buy in bulk as range prices are outrageous. And what would limit me from casting and loading my own?
I don't think anyone "needs" hundreds of rounds of handgun ammunition. As I have stated in previous posts, if left to me, you'd get one for each gun. However, I am not a gun person, so what I think doesn't really count. Committees that include members who are gun aficionados would convene and ultimately decide the answers to your questions.

You would be free to cast and load your own, as long as your did not sell to others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies