Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you predict that federal laws pertaining to semi-automatic handgun ownership will become more str
Yes, but I'm personally opposed to new restrictions. 34 21.94%
Yes, and I'm personally in favor of new restrictions. 43 27.74%
No, I don't believe that new restrictions will be actually be enacted--I don't support gun control. 42 27.10%
No, and it's shameful that new restrictions won't be enacted--I'm in favor of more gun control. 36 23.23%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:48 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,775,029 times

Advertisements

Why would anyone think that someone that would go into a school and kill kids would care if the gun that had were legal to own or not. I wish it were that easy to just have better gun control. It did not work for alcohol, pot and will not work for guns. Chicago has one of the stickiest gun control in the nation but has had more gun related deaths in Chicago, than in Afghanistan. Starting 2012 with 40 murders in January, 28 in February, 50 in March, 41 in April, 51 in May, and 47 in June……………. Today a total of 871
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

50,226 posts, read 46,975,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Lots of common everyday tools that can kill many people in a matter of minutes. What you should be asking yourself is why wasnt this common 100 years ago when owning automatic guns had even less controls.

Your focusing on the symptom not the cause.
I'm pretty sure driving a car at high speeds on an active playground would have quite a few fatalities.

4,300 posts, read 4,405,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfstorage View Post
Can you kill 27 people in 10 minutes with a car?

Can you kill 27 people in 10 minutes with a knife?

Can you kill 27 people in 10 minutes with a gun?...sadly yes.

Gun don't kill people, they just make it a hell if a lot easier too.
Yes to all 3 questions. Guns, cars, and knives make it very easy to kill a lot of people.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:49 PM

16,433 posts, read 22,184,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
I can admit that I am not too clear as to what classifies an automatic vs semi automatic, but whatever can shoot off a reported 100 rounds without reloading does not need to be in the hands of a civilian, period.
He had at least two pistols. He had to reload at least once to get off 100 rounds. Many handguns carry 19 round magazines standard today.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:50 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,718,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
This Country needs extremely strong gun control........... NOT wants but NEEDS.
The 2nd amendment should be repealed or changed........ it is NOT needed.
This is not the wild west and this is no longer the days of the militia.
Other Countries with good gun control do not have these, almost daily now, massacres.
Gun Control does work and MUST be implemented here..... The ONLY people on the streets with guns should be the Police and anyone found in posession of a gun should be arrested and their guns confiscated.
I am now sick and tired of the ignorant in control of guns here. Children being shot in school. people being shot in cinemas. is ust the tip of the iceberg of the travesty that is gun ownership in the USA.
Anyone who wants to "adore" the 2nd amendment obviously have no concern for the lives of innocent people here.
Good luck with that crap! Never going to happen........

13,371 posts, read 9,933,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
There are....it's called a background check. If you have nothing in your past to suggest that you are a threat to the public, then there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get your hands on a high powered, non-automatic weapon.
I've got 27 reasons why NOBODY has any business owning such a weapon.

All the wannabe Rambos can find some other way to get their jollies. Cowards.

25,619 posts, read 36,669,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I'm pretty sure driving a car at high speeds on an active playground would have quite a few fatalities.
Yup, knives are fairly deadly as well. Many people in China just found that out.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:51 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,208,662 times
To blame the gun is to blame the tools of a bad craftsman. I can't think of a single weapon that was dessigned with the expressed purpose of shooting innocent people.
We have a problem in this country. Society will jump on a terrible event and the villian will be famous. We have people who will glorify mass murderers and serial killers. We have shrinks telling us that society is to blame when a lunatic does bad things.
We are a society of extremes. Don't do this thing, but then don't hold people personally accountable either.
The family break down. At one point in our history the family name meant something and no one willingly wanted to shame the name.
Taboo's are a thing of the past.
Gun laws. We have more gun laws on the books than ever in our nations history. A law is only as good as its enforcement.
Why are people against a waiting period? I don't know. I am a shooter and own a number of firearms. I have never had a problem waiting.
Our society is broken from the top down. Don't blame me it's not my fault mentality.
This is a dark day in our nations history and one has to wonder what comes next.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:51 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,770,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Today a wacko stabbed twenty school children in China with a knife. It's a wacko problem.
But at least most of those kids survived. If that wacko in China had a gun, probably not.

Problem is we have guns so easy to get now that it just empowers wackos with extreme and deadly force. Plus it is so easy to get accessories and more powerful calibier weaponry / bullet types that don't really have a reason to exist in the public domain.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:52 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,256,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
This Country needs extremely strong gun control........... NOT wants but NEEDS.
The 2nd amendment should be repealed or changed........ it is NOT needed.
This is not the wild west and this is no longer the days of the militia.
Other Countries with good gun control do not have these, almost daily now, massacres.
Gun Control does work and MUST be implemented here..... The ONLY people on the streets with guns should be the Police and anyone found in posession of a gun should be arrested and their guns confiscated.
I am now sick and tired of the ignorant in control of guns here. Children being shot in school. people being shot in cinemas. is ust the tip of the iceberg of the travesty that is gun ownership in the USA.
Anyone who wants to "adore" the 2nd amendment obviously have no concern for the lives of innocent people here.
I totally agree but i dont expect much to change when hundreds of millions of guns are out there and they're as easy to get as buying a book from Amazon.While i'm of the opinion most owners of guns are responsible owners its got to the point where too many whackos are also gun owners.
What to do ? i have no idea other than accept the fact we live in a gun culture and these almost weekly mass murders are just an inevitable consequence to the right to bear arms..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies