Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you predict that federal laws pertaining to semi-automatic handgun ownership will become more str
Yes, but I'm personally opposed to new restrictions. 34 21.94%
Yes, and I'm personally in favor of new restrictions. 43 27.74%
No, I don't believe that new restrictions will be actually be enacted--I don't support gun control. 42 27.10%
No, and it's shameful that new restrictions won't be enacted--I'm in favor of more gun control. 36 23.23%
Voters: 155. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 06:36 PM

6,218 posts, read 7,725,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
No, but the idiot holding the gun knew exactly what the gun was for.
Perhaps had there been another, or several others, also with guns nearby, they could have shown what the guns are REALLY for. Defense. Of self, or others threatened by the one that is deranged.

You could say that is a better, certainly more noble reason for "what the gun was for".

But knee jerk reactionaries, that seek to remove the rights of law abiding citizens will blow this all out of proportion, and remove the only means of protection that they themselves may have at some point in the future..... And just ignore that fact.

Think about it. If you can.

YC.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 06:36 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtcare View Post
Until EVERYBODY over the age of 25 is armed, properly trained, and required to carry on a daily basis, everywhere(and I mean EVERYWHERE) they go...... we will continue to have these episodes of mass murder.

A controversial view? Think it through carefully. An armed society is a polite society. Or at the very least, well behaved. So is their government.

Had everybody in the office at that school been armed, there most likely would have been only two or three deaths today. The perp might have gotten two before several others put him down. Long before any children could have been harmed. But of course thats just crazy talk on my part, right?

Maybe we should pass legislation that requires armed guards (similar to flight detectives on an airplane, annonymous folks in the school on a daily basis) to protect sensitive places like schools, banks, etc. Would provide jobs, and promote safety. Just like the TSA does at the airport......

BUT NO! over reacting, and rescinding the 2nd ammendment is the way to go. And it wouldnt solve a thing. It would only embolden more criminal activity.

YC.......
Interesting idea. It stands a helluva lot better chance of working than going the other direction and trying to take all the guns away. You would need to solve a few things like accidental discharge of weapons and that sort of thing. And you'd need to work to eliminate the possible scenarios with two isolated people and one decides to put a surprise-bullet in the other.

But in general, you're right. A person holding the gun is less likely to use it when everyone else is packing heat.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:37 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
What the eff are you talking about??

I'm controlling my KINDERGARTNER - and so should any other parent who's letting them swim in a pool.

The reason they drown is because nobody is CONTROLLING them.

I personally can't watch all of the other thousands that die, but I'd strongly encourage their parents to do so.

What a spectacularly ridiculous line of reasoning you have going there.
You know he might have a point though. Probably safer to have your 5 year old playing in the gun cabinet than in the dangerous swimming pool.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:37 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
" Those people" include 20 children...you can't be that blind to realize how easy his gun made it to kill so many so quickly!
~150k people died today in the world. Most NOT by guns.

What's your point?

How many of that 150k died from heart disease? I bet more than 20...

Why don't you protest fat people and McDonalds and TV and video games and effin burger king?

You know what? Let's ban everything!

No more;
Obesity
Contact sports
Corporal punishment
Any punishment
Judging
Opinions
Going outside
going to work
Driving
church
Swimming
Jogging
Flying
Drinking
Boating
Forks
Bats
Knives
Spoons
Meat
Plastic
Oil

And anything else that has caused a death.

We can stay in our beds and be safe!!!!

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-14-2012 at 06:48 PM.. Reason: Do not include "manual" signatures in your posts

Old 12-14-2012, 06:41 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
We have a security problem. That is our schools are not secure from whatever evil is out there such as drugs or emotional or mental patients.
No. He was the son of a teacher at that school. He was known to the staff and other teachers.
He wasn't a stranger and no one would have suspected anything of him.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
My cousins in Germany don't even know someone who owns a gun. The town they live in? No violent crimes were committed all of last year. None. A town of 5500.

So how is it that guns make you safe again?
Ever live in strict gun control Mexico? Guns are forbidden in Mexico and their homicide rate is higher than the US's.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No. He was the son of a teacher at that school. He was known to the staff and other teachers.
He wasn't a stranger and no one would have suspected anything of him.
Are you sure? The news is saying the killer had a "personality disorder". What do you want to bet this guy wasn't on some heavy-duty psychotropic drugs like ritalin or prozac?

Old 12-14-2012, 06:48 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,647,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
~150k people died today in the world. Most NOT by guns.

What's your point?

How many of that 150k died from heart disease? I bet more than 20...

Why don't you protest fat people and McDonalds and TV and video games and effin burger king?

You know what? Let's ban everything!

No more;
Obesity
Contact sports
Corporal punishment
Any punishment
Judging
Opinions
Going outside
going to work
Driving
church
Swimming
Jogging
Flying
Drinking
Boating
Forks
Bats
Knives
Spoons
Meat
Plastic
Oil

And anything else that has caused a death.

We can stay in our beds and be safe!!!!

Tap'n while driving...
A spoon is not designed to kill...guns are...what is your point?? Yes life has risks but sending your child off to 1st grade should not be one of them...

Old 12-14-2012, 06:50 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
The mods have ruined any continuity by locking so many threads at once and because lefties whine....

2 can play that game.

ALL Americans of 21 years age and of good standing Shall be by LAW required to own a battle ready weapon and maintain it. Also you will BUY it, and BUY the AMMO and take mandatory training. We will be retired at age 62. ALL means ALL

Anyone who refuses will be TAXED 2,000% the cost of the combined weapons, training, and required ammo Quarterly.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:53 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,129,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
A spoon is not designed to kill...guns are...what is your point?? Yes life has risks but sending your child off to 1st grade should not be one of them...
Sending your kid to school is your choice and a risk.

It always has been.

Personal safety is just that... Personal.

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 12-14-2012 at 07:05 PM.. Reason: Do not include "manual" signatures in your posts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies