Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 09:06 PM

1,644 posts, read 2,172,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
They are only putting the interracial couple on there because they were forced to by the courts. The employee lawsuits specified that they had to employ diversity in their marketing materials among other requirements. Now if they had a black guy and a white girl, I'd be really impressed. But they won't do it. The double standard of having the white guy with the nonwhite chick and not vice versa has been a Hollywood standard for years.

Abercrombie Discrimination Racism Lawsuit: Official Website for Class Action Suit Against Abercrombie
Did you have a chance to check Fubu? How about jay-z's brand Rocawear....I will be a little more inclined to take you seriously if you have the same contention with their marketing.

BTW: Fubu stands for "for us by us."

Racist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 09:13 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Did you have a chance to check Fubu? How about jay-z's brand Rocawear....I will be a little more inclined to take you seriously if you have the same contention with their marketing.

BTW: Fubu stands for "for us by us."

Racist?
Just checked it out. I must say that is an inspiring story to say the least. I don't find them to be racist. For one, they don't have all of the employee discrimination lawsuits that AF has. AF has had minority employees who have been forced to work in the stockroom while the white kids got the premium jobs working the floor. I've never heard of any lawsuits pertaining to Fubu.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:17 PM

Interesting.

If...hypothetically of course...Fubu meant "for us by us" and referred to white people and ONLY featured white kids on their ad campaigns would you think it was racist?

Old 12-15-2012, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Interesting.

If...hypothetically of course...Fubu meant "for us by us" and referred to white people and ONLY featured white kids on their ad campaigns would you think it was racist?
yes, I would. If whites and nonwhites were in positions of equal power and wealth, I probably wouldn't feel that way. US has been dominated by one race that has subjugated others for so long that it's nice to see one of the subjugated races (underdog) races succeed. White races don't really have to market themselves with "For us by us". You can look at their models starting with Ralph Lauren/calvin klein models in the 80s to now with the AF kids to see that they really want to market to white kids. The minority kids are dumb enough at that age to buy into it and feel like they're "as attractive" as those white kids.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:37 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
No...overpriced hipster garbage.

Old 12-16-2012, 08:29 AM

Quote:
yes, I would. If whites and nonwhites were in positions of equal power and wealth, I probably wouldn't feel that way. US has been dominated by one race that has subjugated others for so long that it's nice to see one of the subjugated races (underdog) races succeed. White races don't really have to market themselves with "For us by us". You can look at their models starting with Ralph Lauren/calvin klein models in the 80s to now with the AF kids to see that they really want to market to white kids. The minority kids are dumb enough at that age to buy into it and feel like they're "as attractive" as those white kids.
So it sounds like racism is a one way street for you.

Well I feel enlightened. Let me give you some advice...feel free to take it or throw it away........there are millions of things in life to be upset about if you try to find them....just recognize the progress we have made....recognize that we will continue to make it, and enjoy your life.....it's too short to be upset.

Signed,

A token Jew from central Appalachia

Old 12-16-2012, 09:28 AM

1,384 posts, read 2,346,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
No...overpriced hipster garbage.
To be fair, I don't think a hipster would ever be caught in Abercrombie and Fitch

Old 12-16-2012, 09:32 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,238,439 times
Quote:
I don't have children of my own, but have noticed that kids like my nieces and nephews like to shop at these stores that display their 100% aryan nordic models on their bags and other displays. Even southern europeans are not "good enough" for them. Despite the fact that my nieces and nephews are mexican-american (demi lovato looking) and look nothing like the Abercrombie "ideal", they flock to buy these overpriced clothes (with their mom, my sister) saying nothing. Do other parents view this company's image as racist?, enough to not purchase the clothes? They have had several high profile racism allegations in the past with some former employees, which apparently were settled.
If you don't like their bags don't buy from them!!!! Why do you LIBERALS have to look for racism in everything you see???????????

Old 12-16-2012, 09:33 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
I hadn't really noticed. I'm no so obsessed with race that I walk around stores looking at all the models and counting which ones are of which race and then comparing that ratio to the national snapshot... I just don't care that much. As far as their clothing goes, I never bought them when I was a teenage. Too expensive for what they are work, and most of their designs then where tailored for the tall and slender, which definitely wasn't me.

Old 12-16-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
If you don't like their bags don't buy from them!!!! Why do you LIBERALS have to look for racism in everything you see???????????

Why do you neocons support racism?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies