Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 10:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
You know what, on second thought, keep talking. You people sputtering out this moronic babble turns more people off to the gun fondler cause than anything the rest of us could ever say. Please, go for it.
I'm still waiting for you to explain how moving the sales of guns to the black market would help anything. It's not as though the illegal gun dealers are going to perform background checks and it's not as though making drugs illegal has made them difficult to buy.

Or you want a War on Guns that resembles the War on Drugs with federal agents kicking in doors and hauling millions of non-violent people to prison?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 10:09 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
It didn't work with alcohol, either.
Right, because producing alcohol or meth or growing marijuana is roughly as easy as producing your own semi-automatic weapons, yes?

Old 12-15-2012, 10:09 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It helped there was a gun to take him out quickly and prevent him from killing.
Yep, this is why I support arming our police officers with guns because they are usually properly trained with how to use their firearm. So yes, I am happy there was an officer with a gun there to take him out, it would of sucked if all he had was a billy club.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:13 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,153,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'm still waiting for you to explain how moving the sales of guns to the black market would help anything. It's not as though the illegal gun dealers are going to perform background checks and it's not as though making drugs illegal has made them difficult to buy.

Or you want a War on Guns that resembles the War on Drugs with federal agents kicking in doors and hauling millions of non-violent people to prison?

We have done a fine job of banning the sale of automatic weapons and keeping them from the vast majority of the American public. Do you also oppose laws that preclude civilians from purchasing automatic weapons, grenades, surface-to-air missile launchers, tanks and the like? After all, if weapons laws are ineffective and the "bad guys" will get them regardless, why are we wasting time and money pursuing such laws?

I don't accept your premise that guns and drugs are equivalent. I've already explained why it is much easier for the state to enforce weapons bans than bans on drugs.

Old 12-15-2012, 10:21 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
We have done a fine job of banning the sale of automatic weapons and keeping them from the vast majority of the American public. Do you also oppose laws that preclude civilians from purchasing automatic weapons, grenades, surface-to-air missile launchers, tanks and the like? After all, if weapons laws are ineffective and the "bad guys" will get them regardless, why are we wasting time and money pursuing such laws?

I don't accept your premise that guns and drugs are equivalent. I've already explained why it is much easier for the state to enforce weapons bans than bans on drugs.
Guns are legal and the sales of them are regulated for that reason. Just like the sale of alcohol is regulated because it's legal. Meth and cocaine, pcp, heroin, pot are illegal and so are available on the black market.

Once guns are moved to the black market, forget all background checks, age requirements, training requirements. As for banning them being easier, it would be just as easy to ship them over the border in the same trucks, in the very same shipments as the drugs. The same people with the very vast and efficient drug distribution routes can just add another product line.

Old 12-16-2012, 02:25 AM

3,598 posts, read 4,946,956 times
Quote:
I'm tired of playing games with you right-wingers who lack the "candor" to be forthright about your intentions. You made that post to once again make the moronic little implication that the idiot brigade has made throughout that what we really need are more "law-abiding" people carrying guns to stop these things.

Yes, genius, I'm lamenting that a police officer was there to stop this. After all, if I support the idea of trained professionals packing heat, it's only logical that I would want someone like you packing heat in restaurants, schools, movie theaters and the like, right?

After awhile, in the wake of this crap, even I lose interest in tying you people in knots with your empty "logic," your non-existent "facts" and your less than honest style of arguing. I will award gift certificates to the next right-winger who can muster up a single counter-argument that doesn't contain either a glaring strawman or a complete misrepresentation of the opposition's argument. I don't think it's possible because this forum makes patently obvious that the resident right-wingers operate at such a cognitive deficit, they have little recourse in these debates but to deceive in the ways I listed. Prove me wrong.
Boom! You just blew that right-winger's weak argument out of the water. Excellent post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies