Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 12:57 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,623,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
You clearly "read" things that don't exist.
Well, the report is a summary of sorts, and does not show all the data. For that you need to look at the IPCC sources: UAH, GISS, HadCRUT, RSS. Their data is readily available online, so I don’t think I need to spoon feed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 12:58 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,325,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Or we could just go watch Al Gore's Oscar winning documentary in the English schools. Oh wait...no we can't. Their courts found it contained so many falsehoods and inaccuracies that they ordered it stopped from being shown.
Do you always make up your own facts?

The court did not find 'it contained so many falsehoods and inaccuracies' and did not order it "stopped from being shown'. Just that it should be shown with a Guidance Note because it had a political bias that needed to be explained.

Dimmock case:
https://www.elaw.org/node/2284
46. In the circumstances, and for those reasons, in the light of the changes to the Guidance Note which the Defendant has agreed to make, and has indeed already made, and upon the Defendant's agreeing to send such amended Guidance Note out in hard copy, no order is made on this application, save in relation to costs, on which I shall hear Counsel.

Old 09-28-2013, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glacierx View Post
LOL, are you saying that the global temperature has increased since 1998? Even the IPCC reports admits that it hasn't.
Quote:
You clearly didn't bother to read what I posted.

Try reading the actual report (or at least the Summary).
Quote:
Thank you, I already did. Unfortunately, you don't seem to know how to read a graph.
Quote:
Well, the report is a summary of sorts, and does not show all the data. For that you need to look at the IPCC sources: UAH, GISS, HadCRUT, RSS. Their data is readily available online, so I don’t think I need to spoon feed.
So you lied in your posts.

Got it.

Have you even read the Summary of the AR5 report just released?

Have you ever read ANY of the 9200 published peer-reviewed studies on which the AR5 report is based?

It seems you DO like being "spoon fed" by people like this:

http://ezralevant.com/2013/09/climat...t-science.html

Old 09-28-2013, 01:21 AM

Quote:
So you lied.

Got it.
Are personal attacks allowed in this section?

Calling someone a liar when they did no such thing is a pretty low blow.

Do you know what the IPCC means when they refer to the "15 year hiatus"? IPCC: Despite hiatus, climate change here to stay : Nature News & Comment

I see you are Australia. David Suzuki was down there recently on ABC...

Q&A - An Audience With David Suzuki - YouTube

Old 09-28-2013, 01:34 AM

Quote:

Do you know what the IPCC means when they refer to the "15 year hiatus"?
No, I said you lied in your posts. Which you clearly did. It's only a personal attack if I called you a liar- which I didn't.

Do a search for the phrase '15 year hiatus' in the IPCC AR5 Summary. It doesn't exist. You are clearly getting that from some other source, not the IPCC.

http://www.climatechange2013.org/ima...d27Sep2013.pdf

The 'rate' of increase in average global temperatures slowed slightly since 1998 (an el Nino year with a higher than average temperature). That does not mean there was a '15 year hiatus' in global warming. 2005 and 2010 were hotter than 1998. Most of the hottest years on record were in the last 15 years. There is also a whole lot more to climate change than just surface temperatures.

Last edited by Ceist; 09-28-2013 at 01:55 AM..

Old 09-28-2013, 01:50 AM

Quote:

Do you know what the IPCC means when they refer to the "15 year hiatus"? IPCC: Despite hiatus, climate change here to stay : Nature News & Comment

I see you are Australia. David Suzuki was down there recently on ABC...

Q&A - An Audience With David Suzuki - YouTube
I see you added to your post since I replied.

You posted:
Quote:
LOL, are you saying that the global temperature has increased since 1998? Even the IPCC reports admits that it hasn't.
That is a lie.

You also claimed that you had read the report. (It hasn't been released yet. Only the Summary). And the Summary didn't say what you claimed either. So your claim to have read the report was a lie.

You link to an opinion piece by Quirin Schiermeier on the AR5 Summary:
"15 year hiatus"? IPCC: Despite hiatus, climate change here to stay : Nature News & Comment

That is not the IPCC, it's not the IPCC report, and it doesn't say what you claimed anyway.

David Suzuki doesn't say what you claimed either.

Would you prefer that I used the word "misrepresentation"? Or maybe just "confused".

If you want to make flippant claims that are so easily disproved, go ahead, but don't get all butt hurt when someone calls you out on them.

Last edited by Ceist; 09-28-2013 at 02:09 AM..

Old 09-28-2013, 02:03 AM

Quote:
No, I said you lied in your posts. Which you clearly did.
No I didn't. I forget sometimes that there are people on here of many different ages and with different language backgrounds, so I will take the time to walk you thing it. I apologize for assuming.

I said: Even the IPCC reports admits that it hasn't.

You said: You clearly didn't bother to read what I posted.

I said: Yes I did.

I said: Unfortunately, you don't seem to know how to read a graph. {referring the IPCC data, not the report here}

I said: The report is a summary of sorts, and does not show all the data. {referring to the fact that the report is a summary}

I said: For that you need to look at the IPCC sources: UAH, GISS, HadCRUT, RSS. {referring to the IPCC data sets.}

I said: Do you know what the IPCC means when they refer to the "15 year hiatus"? {referring to the IPCC conference today}

You said: Do a search for the phrase '15 year hiatus' in the IPCC AR5 Summary. It doesn't exist. You are clearly getting that from some other source misrepresenting the IPCC. {You are wrong here, I got it from the IPCC's own mouths}

You said: The 'rate' of increase in average global temperatures slowed slightly since 1998 {This not true. The temperature has not increased at all since 1998. Please look at the IPCC data. Here is a good start: http://www.giss.nasa.gov/ }

You said: 2005 and 2010 were hotter than 1998. Most of the hottest years on record were in the last 15 years. There is also a whole lot more to climate change than just surface temperatures. {That is true}

Old 09-28-2013, 02:47 AM

Quote:
No I didn't. I forget sometimes that there are people on here of many different ages and with different language backgrounds, so I will take the time to walk you thing it. I apologize for assuming.

I said: Even the IPCC reports admits that it hasn't.

You said: You clearly didn't bother to read what I posted.

I said: Yes I did.

I said: Unfortunately, you don't seem to know how to read a graph. {referring the IPCC data, not the report here}

I said: The report is a summary of sorts, and does not show all the data. {referring to the fact that the report is a summary}

I said: For that you need to look at the IPCC sources: UAH, GISS, HadCRUT, RSS. {referring to the IPCC data sets.}

I said: Do you know what the IPCC means when they refer to the "15 year hiatus"? {referring to the IPCC conference today}

You said: Do a search for the phrase '15 year hiatus' in the IPCC AR5 Summary. It doesn't exist. You are clearly getting that from some other source misrepresenting the IPCC. {You are wrong here, I got it from the IPCC's own mouths}

You said: The 'rate' of increase in average global temperatures slowed slightly since 1998 {This not true. The temperature has not increased at all since 1998. Please look at the IPCC data. Here is a good start: http://www.giss.nasa.gov/ }

You said: 2005 and 2010 were hotter than 1998. Most of the hottest years on record were in the last 15 years. There is also a whole lot more to climate change than just surface temperatures. {That is true}
Trying to backtrack, misrepresentations, contradicting yourself and moving the goal posts doesn't cut it. Sorry.

So what DOES the IPCC say about the last 15 years (as far as global surface temperature goes) in it's AR5 report? Well you Could have just read the Summary itself.

I forget sometimes that some people think whatever some denialist blog or tabloid claims about something is automatically true. I forget sometimes that many people don't ever bother to check the claims made by denialists by checking the sources themselves. I assumed that most people would know that to read the Summary itself that they need to click on a link on the IPCC website and open the document. Not find some other website with an opinion piece about it.

Here, let me walk you through it:

Click here to go to the IPCC website: http://www.ipcc.ch/

Click on "Summary for Policy Makers"
http://www.climatechange2013.org/ima...d27Sep2013.pdf

wait for the Summary to open.

Read the Summary. Find where it mentions the last 15 years. It's only on page 3. Read the paragraph.
In addition to robust multi-decadal warming, global mean surface temperature exhibits
substantial decadal and interannual variability (see Figure SPM.1). Due to natural variability,
trends based on short records are very sensitive to the beginning and end dates and do not in
general reflect long-term climate trends. As one example, the rate of warming over the past 15
years (1998–2012; 0.05 [–0.05 to +0.15] °C per decade), which begins with a strong El Niño, is
smaller than the rate calculated since 1951 (1951–2012; 0.12 [0.08 to 0.14] °C per decade)
NOTHING about a '15 year hiatus'. No claim that "The temperature has not increased at all since 1998." (Because that is incorrect)

Try reading at least a couple of the 9200 peer-reviewed articles and studies the AR5 report was based on for yourself.

However, from your opinions, I'm guessing you don't have access to any of the Journals and just rely on what denialist websites and the tabloid press tell you to think.

Last edited by Ceist; 09-28-2013 at 03:36 AM..

Old 09-28-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Trying to backtrack, misrepresentations, contradicting yourself and moving the goal posts doesn't cut it. Sorry.
Actually, you are the one who is lying and contradicting yourself. Grow up and learn to read. To deny the fact that the world has not warmed since 1998 is as dumb as claiming the earth is flat. How can you engage in any sort of debate if you cannot get this simple fact right?

If have apparently read it and thus are able to see that 2010 and 2005 were warmer than 1998. To ignore the linear line is dishonest to say the least. Did you watch the press conference? Do you understand your own data you just posted above? If I'm pulled over by the police for driving 65 miles/hour in a 60 zone, but his radar gun has an accuracy of +/- 10 miles/hour, then he cannot give me a ticket because he doesn't' know if I was going 55, 65, or 75.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:16 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,078,836 times
Quote:
Actually, you are the one who is lying and contradicting yourself. Grow up and learn to read. To deny the fact that the world has not warmed since 1998 is as dumb as claiming the earth is flat. How can you engage in any sort of debate if you cannot get this simple fact right?

If have apparently read it and thus are able to see that 2010 and 2005 were warmer than 1998. To ignore the linear line is dishonest to say the least. Did you watch the press conference? Do you understand your own data you just posted above? If I'm pulled over by the police for driving 65 miles/hour in a 60 zone, but his radar gun has an accuracy of +/- 10 miles/hour, then he cannot give me a ticket because he doesn't' know if I was going 55, 65, or 75.
These are your first two posts.....

Quote:
Quote:
....so yea
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies