Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 12:38 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
The American media is biased against blacks. I was always disturbed at the way the media in the US tries to paint blacks as criminals. We never killed/raped/tortured entire civilizations or stole an entire continent's possessions.

But I guess those do not count as "crimes."

OP, sorry I think you are a racist. But I can get you're reacting to what I've noticed as a black immigrant to the US. It is unfair and annoying. Criminals are people of all races, colors and religions.
Of course all blacks are not criminals...but if you are trying to say the criminal element is equal you are sadly mistaken. The facts have already been stated earlier in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 12:38 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
The demographic this is a problem for is people with a mental illness, usually schizophrenia. People with brains that work normally don't go on a shooting spree. Maybe whites have a higher incidence of schizophrenia. I don't know as I haven't researched it. Or maybe, whites have the highest percentage of people in the United States; therefore, having a higher likelihood of being involved in ANY situation.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:43 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
The demographic this is a problem for is people with a mental illness, usually schizophrenia. People with brains that work normally don't go on a shooting spree. Maybe whites have a higher incidence of schizophrenia. I don't know as I haven't researched it. Or maybe, whites have the highest percentage of people in the United States; therefore, having a higher likelihood of being involved in ANY situation.
Is autism a mental illness?

Old 12-16-2012, 12:50 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
Well, the recent Brookfield Square Mall massacre in Wisconsin involved a black male shooter, the Hartford Distribution killing involved a black male shooter, the Virginia Tech killer was Asian. I can go on if you like....

A 2005 report published by the New Century Foundation called “The Color of Crime†took these trends a step further:

• Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to commit robbery.
• Blacks are three times more likely than non-blacks to use a gun in a crime.
• Blacks commit 75% of all interracial crimes; whites commit 15%; while others account for 10%.
• Blacks are seven times more likely to be imprisoned

How about we agree that monsters come in all different colors?
Wasn't the Wisconsin shooting a case of domestic violence that spilled over to the wife's workplace?

Anyway, how many deaths were accounted to blacks vs. whites? The number of lives affected by the crimes matter more than these deceptive percentage break downs.

Old 12-16-2012, 01:00 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Why is this thread even on this forum? A very sad, horrific event took place and people are in shock while others mourn for their loved ones. It had nothing to do with race.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:28 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Is autism a mental illness?
What about autism? Who knows.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:40 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,312,942 times
The problem op is doing is conflating typical crimes with madness like this school shooting. Both get covered in the press.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:41 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvb_Bryan View Post
I don't think the shooter was white, his last name is Lanza, that's Italian FYI
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Who is considered white?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Lee View Post
Italian is a nationality not a race.
On another thread, a Sicilian poster pointed out that Lanza is a Sicilian name, and Sicilians do not consider themselves Italian at all. Ah, the finer points of how we separate ourselves.

But, in case you missed it, there are a lot of people out there who do not consider Italian people white. This was far more pronounced back in my grandfather's generation, and he was appalled when my sister became engaged to an Italian shortly before he died.

If you ever read the book The Virginian, one of the first Western books, written around the turn of the 20th century, there is an Italian man in the book who keeps having to explain "I'm Italian, but I've been white for a hundred years", meaning, I guess that he had assimiliated into the US culture.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:47 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by konfetka View Post
I think the OP has a point. My theory about it has to do with differences in upbringing - black kids in poor neighborhoods spend a lot of time socializing on street corners. They are a lot of times raised 'free range' style with a lot of freedom of movement. Their communities are usually dense and walkable. When they get violent, it is often one group of people against another.

White American kids are usually raised in the suburbs, a lot of times with no sidewalks and houses spaced apart, which creates barriers for socializing. This is somewhat unique to America, because people in other countries usually live in denser communities. Also in other countries public transportation is much more common and people usually interact with a lot more people in their daily lives, while in America people can be shielded from the world by their cars and houses.

When all the factors fall together anti-social kids with explosive sensitive personalities are able to seclude themselves from the world. That's why when they explode they act out against the places where people congregate and mingle, and where they never felt they belonged, but subconsciously craved it the most.
I think this is an interesting theory.

I also think that a shooting such as the one in Newtown gets the shocking press reaction because of where it happened. Terrible things and shootings happen in impoverished black neighborhoods all the time. We are not shocked anymore when they do. It's almost to the point where the attitude is, "Well, that's to be expected", NOT saying that attitude is OK. Some people, and I can include myself in that group to some degree, imagine that we would do anything anything anything to get our kids out of those neighborhoods, even if we had to work three jobs, even if we had to move where no one looked like us and where we knew no one. It's really easy to imagine that when you don't have to live it.

But in an affluent, clean, white neighborhood with lots of money like Newtown, this is perceived as something that is not supposed to happen. They did all the right things. They lived away from the crime centers. They provided lovely, clean, safe homes for their children to live in. They sent them to schools where there are not crack dealers lurking on the playground. And yet...their children were gunned down.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:47 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,149 times
i said profile white males on school grounds for this exact reason and for the pedophilia reason the other day.

these same whites that whine about this are the first ones who say we should profile all muslims at airports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies