Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should there be an assault rifle ban?
Yes 51 42.15%
No 70 57.85%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 03:06 PM

518 posts, read 406,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
My 25.06 deer rifle can be used to assault / kill and I can reload it fairly quickly. My 12 gauge shotgun with buckshot would be an extremely effective killing weapon but I use it for Turkey hunting.

So what exactly is an "Assault Weapon" and as a law abiding citizen why can I not own one ?
You're missing the point. The law should allow you to own one, in my view; however, it should take real measures to simultaneously prevent people who are mentally unstable from owning or even possessing one. The laws now don't do that; they're minimally effective.

People should have the right to own a gun and I'm okay with the right person owning an assault rifle if they're a collector or a hobbyist. But the right to own guns is not unfettered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 03:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_coli View Post
That's a very dumb comparison. The boxcutters were used to overpower a flight crew, and the hijackers then used an airplane to inflict mass casualties. Really, the above is a dumb post. Think.
....and the original point is 19 people set out to kill as many people as they could and did it without firing a shot.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:16 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
You're missing the point. The law should allow you to own one, in my view; however, it should take real measures to simultaneously prevent people who are mentally unstable from owning or even possessing one. The laws now don't do that; they're minimally effective.
But this would have done nothing to prevent what happened, presumably the mother should have access to these guns. Furthermore I have some serious issues with a mental health professioanl arbitrarily determining if I'm fit to own a gun. What professional is going to put themselves in the position of determining if you're capable of handling a weapon? There isn't many people that are going to take on that responsibility and those that do will most likely have an agenda or do it for monetary gain..

Old 12-16-2012, 03:29 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:

People should have the right to own a gun and I'm okay with the right person owning an assault rifle if they're a collector or a hobbyist. But the right to own guns is not unfettered.

If you allow a government bureaucracy to establish who and who can not own a weapon through subjective means of psychological analysis, eventually only those the establishment desires to have guns will have them. This is a sure means of giving absolute power to government and this should never be as such.

To quote Ben Franklin:

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Old 12-16-2012, 03:41 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
No I don't! If guns are to be eliminated it needs to be from all communities...

Problem is, it never will.

Banning guns will only ban guns in the lawful community. The criminal community will still have them and because they know that lawful people do not have them, they will be encouraged in their criminal pursuits.

Because banning guns is considered a direct violation of the constitution, an affront to the liberty of those in the US, it will essentially make many lawful people today criminals as many honest and lawful people will refuse to relinquish their weapons.

For some, those seeking to justify their encroachment on liberty, this is exactly what is desired as it will justify the infringement of them since guns would then be illegal and "evil", only evil killers would have them, making those people the enemy of the US, allowing the US to take any means necessary to eradicate such a threat.

This isn't a new plan, it was done in history and we all know (well, those who actually know history) that history repeats itself.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:08 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,374,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Obama won the election, Democrats increased their lead in the Senate, and Republicans lost seats in the House. You're saying the losers are the real Americans?

History typically repeats itself...think 1993, Democrats in control, DADT and assault weapons ban followed by the Republican Revolution of 1994.

As for this last election, after the huge seat change in 2010, some movement the other way should have been expected.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:14 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
History typically repeats itself...think 1993, Democrats in control, DADT and assault weapons ban followed by the Republican Revolution of 1994.
Yep, it's political suicide, which is why it won't happen.

Old 12-16-2012, 05:36 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
I have looked it up, and there wasn't any legislation enacted, nor did any congressman/woman even attempt to get any bill passed as a result of the Chicago 2012 summer violence.
I hate to break it to you, but Chicago had (still is experiencing?) a crime wave. Other parts of the US are not. There is no legislation at the federal level that would have any bearing on Chicago's crime problems. This is a Chicago problem.

What legislation would you want to see?

Old 12-16-2012, 05:38 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Here comes the legislation. Do you agree or disagree?
"It will ban the sale, the transfer, the importation and the possession, not retroactively, but prospectively," and ban the sale of clips of more than ten bullets, Feinstein said. "The purpose of this bill is to get... weapons of war off the streets."

Dianne Feinstein To Introduce Assault Weapons Ban On First Day Of Congress
It's funny that after 20 years of doing this DiFi still hasn't figured out correct terminology. It's magazine, not clip. A clip is ammunition holder with no spring, such as is used to load the fixed (non-removable) magazine of an M1 Garand. "Magazine" is the term she wants. And her use of "bullets" is also technically wrong. "Bullet" refers to the projectile only. The term she wants here is "cartridges" or "rounds of ammunition."

Seriously, if she wants to lead on legislating gun control, shouldn't she take the time to learn the basics of guns? What if a RW, pro-life Senator announced a push for new contraceptive legislation, and didn't know the difference between pill and condom? What if he got up on stage and referred to condoms as "rubbers?"

Old 12-16-2012, 05:46 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I almost find this laughable. I have heard she herself owns some of these weapons..

did you know that witch owns more than 300 firearms?

another do as i say, not as I do politician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies