Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 03:16 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times

Advertisements

On a more interesting note, Alaska is one of eight States (also including Montana, Tennessee, Utah, Wyoming, South Dakota, Idaho, and Arizona) that passed a Firearms Freedom Act into law. A law that grants complete federal exemption from all firearm and ammunition laws, including taxes, for any firearm or ammunition manufactured wholly within the State for use exclusively within the State.

Wyoming's Firearms Freedom Act goes one step further and permits the arrest and incarceration of federal law enforcement officers that attempt to impose federal law on these State protected firearms and ammunition.

Source: Eight and Counting: Parnell Signs Alaska Firearms Freedom Act – Tenth Amendment Center Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 03:19 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
All that will succeed in accomplishing is creating a huge black-market. If it pays well enough, I would be happy to use my reloading equipment to manufacture ammunition and sell it tax-free.

I can crank out around 500 to 600 rounds in an evening while watching TV.

I have put more than 15,000 rounds through my firearms since I have owned them. Just like any tool, it takes practice to become proficient. THAT is the true definition of "gun control" - Being able to hit where you aim, and that requires practice.

You need gunpowder to make your own bullets, the government could go higher up and tax chemicals needed to make gunpowder.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
You need gunpowder to make your own bullets, the government could go higher up and tax chemicals needed to make gunpowder.
Alaska has more than ample natural resources to manufacture gunpowder. Congress can do whatever it likes, but it cannot touch those eight States, and more will follow those eight.

Alaska has the largest lead and zinc mine on the planet. The new Pebble Mine will also provide all the molybdenum we need for manufacturing stainless steel and other alloys.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:30 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
Quote:
Alaska has more than ample natural resources to manufacture gunpowder. Congress can do whatever it likes, but it cannot touch those eight States, and more will follow those eight.

Alaska has the largest lead and zinc mine on the planet. The new Pebble Mine will also provide all the molybdenum we need for manufacturing stainless steel and other alloys.

Ok, what's your point? It is virtually impossible for someone to be able to make take the raw materials from a mine, purify it, and make gunpowder.

Fine, don't tax ammo, people can make it at their house, but what people can't do without a PhD in chemistry and the proper industrial equipment is make the reagents and chemicals that go into gun powder manufacturing.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Ok, what's your point? It is virtually impossible for someone to be able to make take the raw materials from a mine, purify it, and make gunpowder.

Fine, don't tax ammo, people can make it at their house, but what people can't do without a PhD in chemistry and the proper industrial equipment is make the reagents and chemicals that go into gun powder manufacturing.
Manufacturing gunpowder is the easy part. We have been manufacturing gunpowder for 800 years. All that it requires is:
  • a nitrate, typically potassium nitrate (KNO3), which supplies oxygen for the reaction;
  • charcoal, which provides carbon and other fuel for the reaction, simplified as carbon (C);
  • sulfur (S), which, while also serving as a fuel, lowers the temperature required to ignite the mixture, thereby increasing the rate of combustion.
Anyone who has taken high-school chemistry could make gun powder a lot easier than say methamphetamine.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:44 PM

1,523 posts, read 1,438,320 times
Quote:

\.
See post 15.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:38 PM

40 posts, read 89,416 times
Quote:
You do not. The shooting in Connecticut was unfortunate, but unavoidable. Nobody is going to be able to stop a dedicated lunatic, willing to give their own life, who is hell-bent on killing people. No amount of police, no law, nothing will stop this kind of wacko.

You are also not going to be able to stop the mentally ill from buying firearms, because most of the mentally ill are functional. Meaning they are indistinguishable from those who are mentally stable.

Probably the best approach is not the most intuitive. Like eliminating all "gun free zones" in the US. At least then it will give lunatics who are determined to kill as many people as possible some pause before picking a target. If it is possible that they may be shot before they are able to kill lots of people, they may not pick such a place as their target.

The Colorado theater shooting is a perfect example. There were nine other theaters where the shooter could have gone, but he picked the one, and only, theater that banned all firearms. Therefore, the shooter knew he could safely kill a lot of people.

The exact same mentality applies to schools and universities. They are perfect targets for these nut-jobs specifically because they are firearm free zones.

As long as there are "gun free zones," that is where we can expect the most deaths by firearm to occur. Once you remove all "gun free zones" it makes it far less obvious where the next target will be.
Well stated, and thank God for reason. Its after all not the gun its the criminal that needs to be punished. We have all the laws on the books to accomplish the task.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:56 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Tax the ***** out of ammo. There are already 250 million firearms out there, so regulating them is impossible, but you can regulate ammunition and tax it to high heaven so it isn't easy for someone to obtain 1000 rounds, an amount which no sane person even needs to "protect" themselves.
Responsible gun owners practice....

And while we're at it, let's tax the hell out of ballots. It's about as constitutional.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:34 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
LBJ signed it into law after JFK, Malcolm X, Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King were assassinated. If you read it, it is pretty straight forward but what caught my attention that you will read is #3. Here is what the bill says (and pay attention to number 3):

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/18C44.txt
Under the GCA, selling of firearms to certain categories of individuals is prohibited:

(d) It shall be unlawful for any person to sell or otherwise dispose of any firearm or ammunition to any person knowing or having reasonable cause to believe that such person - (1) is under indictment for, or has been convicted in any court of, a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year

(2) is a fugitive from justice;

(3) is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802));

(4) has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution;

(5) who, being an alien - (A) is illegally or unlawfully in the United States; or (B) except as provided in subsection (y)(2), has been admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa (as that term is defined in section 101(a)(26) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1101(a)(26)));

(6) who (!2) has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;

(7) who, having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his citizenship;

(8) is subject to a court order that restrains such person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner of such person or child of such intimate partner or person, or engaging in other conduct that would place an intimate partner in reasonable fear of bodily injury to the partner or child, except that this paragraph shall only apply to a court order that - (A) was issued after a hearing of which such person received actual notice, and at which such person had the opportunity to participate; and (B)(i) includes a finding that such person represents a credible threat to the physical safety of such intimate partner or child; or (ii) by its terms explicitly prohibits the use, attempted use, or threatened use of physical force against such intimate partner or child that would reasonably be expected to cause bodily injury; or

(9) has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.

So there you have it. It is very strict and straight forward. This law has been on the table for 44 years. I was listening to Michael Savage last night and he brought up a good point. He say's that it needs to updated so so that 'modern day category' pertaining to the unpredictable 'anti-depressants' such as Prozac can be added to it. I agree. Just ban people from having guns who are on these new type of meds. Many of these shooters have been on powerful psychotic anti-depressants of some kind.
The 1964 Act allows an individual to sell a gun to a criminal so long as the individual didn't know or have reasonable cause to know that the individual was a criminal. Mandatory background checks for gun sales are more comprehensive in that they require the seller to make sure that the buyer isn't a criminal. So, no, the 1964 Act doesn't go far enough.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:18 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
IDK After the Port Arthur massacre in Australia in 1996, guns became very heavily regulated, although not totally banned Down Under-haven't had a massacre since. So yes they ARE avoidable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies