Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,704,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Holy mother of pearls. Look what became of this thread. It has to be a CD legend.

Anyways, as the original poster, let me reiterate my original point: No true law abiding citizen would want to own an assault weapon. After all the discussion, I am even more convinced that I am correct.
You were convinced that you were correct when you started the thread

We didn't really expect to change your mind, but the discussion has been enjoyable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 06:33 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
I tried very hard, but I can't think of any reason why a law abiding citizen would want to own an assault weapon. If your true motive for owning a gun is to protect yourself, why isn't a normal gun good enough? What's next, your own miniature nuclear bomb under the guise of "Second Amendment rights"? Where does it stop?

true americans will always have firearms at home and stop relying on police for their protection.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Holy mother of pearls. Look what became of this thread. It has to be a CD legend.

Anyways, as the original poster, let me reiterate my original point: No true law abiding citizen would want to own an assault weapon. After all the discussion, I am even more convinced that I am correct.

and you would still be wrong. america has always been based on freedom and liberty. you can only get that from the end of a barrel defending yourself from the thugs of criminals and governement.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:42 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
true americans will always have firearms at home and stop relying on police for their protection.
Most true americans don't need a gun nor do they constantly worry about police protection.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:46 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Most true americans don't need a gun nor do they constantly worry about police protection.
I'm just curious... How old are you?

Old 01-07-2013, 08:55 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,627,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
For every single purchase?

What if I've been issued a Concealed Firearm Permit? The state of Nevada does its own background check prior to issuance, and my fingerprints are forwarded to the FBI who in turn does another background check. The CFP is valid for five years, and if I'm disqualified from legally carrying a firearm during that time (e.g. I'm convicted of a disqualifying crime or a restraining order is taken out against me), the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department will show up at my door and take the physical CFP that I carry in my wallet away.

So, what about that? I've had a background check done, and I carry a card that proves as much. Since that card was issued, I've committed no crime or otherwise disqualified myself from legally buying/owning/carrying a firearm. If I ever do, the card will be taken from me. Should I be able to buy a gun without a superfluous background check?

By the way, exactly what did you mean by "undisclosed gun purchases"? Can you expound on that?
Hey, look, I am not trying to get into a pxxxxxx contest with you. I meant, from what I understand to be no bkgd checks at gunshows and online sales. If the following is true, there are some gaps to be closed or attempt to close. If your credentials are up to date and renewalable at some point, I see no reason to deny you a gun purchase.

Gun Show Loophole - Coalition to Stop Gun Violence

Quote:
Unfortunately, current federal law requires criminal background checks only for guns sold through licensed firearm dealers, which account for just 60% of all gun sales in the United States. A loophole in the law allows individuals not “engaged in the business” of selling firearms to sell guns without a license—and without processing any paperwork. That means that two out of every five guns sold in the United States change hands without a background check.
Quote:

Though commonly referred to as the “Gun Show Loophole,” the “private sales” described above include guns sold at gun shows, through classified newspaper ads, the Internet, and between individuals virtually anywhere.

Unfortunately, only six states (CA, CO, IL, NY, OR, RI) require universal background checks on all firearm sales at gun shows. Three more states (CT, MD, PA) require background checks on all handgun sales made at gun shows. Seven other states (HI, IA, MA, MI, NJ, NC, NE) require purchasers to obtain a permit and undergo a background check before buying a handgun. Florida allows its counties to regulate gun shows by requiring background checks on all firearms purchases at these events. 33 states have taken no action whatsoever to close the Gun Show Loophole.
Sorry, I have to run. Will check thread tomorrow. Forgot I had it open.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

good luck with that notion when you have violent crime visit you. it has already been proven that everyone will have violent crime upon them sometime in their life.

most true americans had firearms in their homes before the progressive movement happened.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:46 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,562 times
People do not understand assault rifles are banned, AR-15's are sport rifles. Assault Rifles have been banned nearly 3 decades. Why ban sports rifles and scare the people people to believe they're assault rifles.

Please look up the difference within the two weapon types.

I can not believe we need to take sport rifles away from the populus nor sell magazines holding only 10 rounds. Truthfully there's just about a second difference between shooting 20 controlled rounds and shooting two 10 round clips. Please wake up.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
People don't understand assault rifles are banned, AR-15's are sport rifles. Assault Rifles have been banned nearly 3 decades. Why do they want to ban sports rifles and tell people they're assault rifles.

Please look up the difference within the two weapons types. I don't believe we need to take sport rifles away from the populus nor sell magazines holding only 10 rounds. Truthfully there is an one second difference between shooting 20 controlled rounds and shooting two 10 round clips. Please wake up.

people dont care, they would rather ban something that looks cosmetically bad than worry about the function of that same rifle.

Old 01-08-2013, 04:14 AM

88 posts, read 102,997 times
I guess both sides will never stop the demagoguing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies