Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 11:21 PM

2,265 posts, read 3,678,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Then explain to me why no background checks at these scam gun shows .
Hmm...every gun I've bought came from a gun show. I had to fill out a 4473 and go through a NICS check every time.

Or am I imagining filling out those forms and them running the check in front of me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 11:25 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,338,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I will clarify ...

Other than going through a process involving a licensed broker, paperwork and having your local sheriff sign off, they are effectively banned.

Most of these liberals think you can run down to Wal-Mart and pick up a machine gun.

Tonight, my wife had this brilliant idea that an assault weapons, meant full auto machine gun.
She had no idea it included her 223 and her 10-22, capable of having clips holding more than a few rounds.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:30 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,251,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Tonight, my wife had this brilliant idea that an assault weapons, meant full auto machine gun.
She had no idea it included her 223 and her 10-22, capable of having clips holding more than a few rounds.
Wow, you guys really know a lot about guns, too bad you guys don't know **** about history or politics.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:32 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,344,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
It's not hard. Use a .308 or 6.8 upper and have some skill if you're in a state/county where .223 is too small a caliber to take larger game - there are a number of states where .223/5.56 is not legal to take large game with, but there are places you can use them. Low recoil, a flat trajectory, high muzzle velocity using a 20" barrel and good aim and you have it made with the right .223 cartridge. Just because you can't do it doesn't mean someone else can't.

That said, I bought my AR-15 for target practice on longer range shots. If that scares the OP, I really couldn't care less, he/she can go hide with their head in the sand, I'll go enjoy myself out on the range or on the family property. I'm a law abiding citizen and bought it because I wanted it.
Bingo.

Many people, especially the media and those who do not own firearms, are unaware that the AR-15 frame can be chambered for a wide variety of calibers. Anything from a .22 LR to a .50 BMG, and just about everything in between.

I am considering picking up the Akdal MKA-1919, an AR-15 style 12 gauge shotgun for bear/moose protection. It beats my current camp gun, which is a Mossberg 500 pump.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:02 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,455,770 times
Wow, a lot happened since I left...let's see.

To know how big of a guy the Aussie Lass was talking to....what does it matter? FWIW I'm 6' tall you can see the rest in my profile/pictures. Kicking me in the nuts won't work...you'll never get the shot!
You will have trouble with a guy like me...There are MANY like me...and MUCH MUCH worse! You want to see me stop in my tracks....point a gun at me!

To the ignorant people saying no background checks at gun shows: Quit listening to NPR and repeating talking points...GO to a gun show and try to buy a gun....maybe even go to a range and have someone teach you to shoot....you might see things differently...realistically!

Assault weapons ARE highly regulated....not just anyone can go buy one!

Despite some countries outlawing guns...there are STILL shootings! AND assaults...

Old 12-19-2012, 12:08 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,296,922 times
Quote:
The difference being, our US Constitution and the reasons we fought for freedom.
Every US citizen is sovereign, under our Constitution. That means each citizen, has the same power as any ruler in the world, including our own President. It is called Individual Liberty, under We The People. Not, I tell you what to do and when, by me the King, or be punished.
Each individual has the right to defend him or her self, against all enemies, foreign or domestic. Defend, not attack. Just because they may be your enemy, does not mean you go kick butt. It means you defend yourself when under physical attack.

Oppression by a centralized government, a ruler and a control freak, is in no way liberty.
My dear chap, we are in the 21st century, you know.

Australia and NZ are federal and unitary parliamentary constitutional monarchies respectively, the constitutional monarches being of the ceremonial type - which means the monarch yields very little power.

We are not absolute monarchies like some of the Arabian states.

Have you visited either of our lovely lands (I am from both countries - if so, you have probably found that many of us lead fairly pleasant lifestyles, fairly free of oppression. As for control freaks, I think we can all safely say that there are many of those in the political world in pretty well all the countries of the world.

I am unsure what your Aussie/Kiwi pals have told you but life aint that bad out here.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:18 AM

1,880 posts, read 2,296,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Wow, a lot happened since I left...let's see.

To know how big of a guy the Aussie Lass was talking to....what does it matter? FWIW I'm 6' tall you can see the rest in my profile/pictures. Kicking me in the nuts won't work...you'll never get the shot!
You will have trouble with a guy like me...There are MANY like me...and MUCH MUCH worse! You want to see me stop in my tracks....point a gun at me!

To the ignorant people saying no background checks at gun shows: Quit listening to NPR and repeating talking points...GO to a gun show and try to buy a gun....maybe even go to a range and have someone teach you to shoot....you might see things differently...realistically!

Assault weapons ARE highly regulated....not just anyone can go buy one!

Despite some countries outlawing guns...there are STILL shootings! AND assaults...
I'll get my 6' 6" bro to kick you in the nuts instead lol.

Actually, I'm not that short myself - I'm 5' 8".

Old 12-19-2012, 12:39 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,455,770 times
Quote:
I'll get my 6' 6" bro to kick you in the nuts instead lol.
...Would that be before or after you become a victim?
You'd both be better off with guns!

It's that line of thinking that makes you a victim! Do you carry your incapable brother around with you all the time? And just how effective is he when someone has a gun...criminals in your country STILL have guns you know! Only the lawful citizens cowered under the law and turned them in.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:11 AM

8,430 posts, read 10,846,122 times
Quote:
Here in lies the problem. My kid at 6, was responsible enough to be packing heat at school and know how to use it very accurately, without incident.

In High School, we had gun racks, in the back windows of our trucks, loaded with shotguns and rifles. We were 14-18. If we were going hunting after school with a buddy or a teacher, we would put our rifles in our school lockers.

No school shootings, ever!

Times change my friend, and we need to change also .
I grew up in a small town, and worked on a farm as a teenager.
We knew how to use a rifle , and never once dis-respected it's ability.
It is a whold different world we live in now, and sadly when change is necessary, we are not so willing to accept it.
I remember as a teen,sometimes after school, I would walk from my house to the woods where we would hunt rabbits.
I would have my rifle in my hand, while walking on the side of the road.
Back then, no one took notice.
Today, one call from a cell phone would have the cops on your a$$ quicker than you could say it.
Friend, the times they are a changing, and we will have to change with them.
I felt a lot differently about guns back then, and in today's world, I really think they should be done away with
Bob..

Old 12-19-2012, 01:15 AM

26,793 posts, read 15,035,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I tried very hard, but I can't think of any reason why a law abiding citizen would want to own an assault weapon. If your true motive for owning a gun is to protect yourself, why isn't a normal gun good enough? What's next, your own miniature nuclear bomb under the guise of "Second Amendment rights"? Where does it stop?

Learn the definition of one, not the mis-use of words to push an agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies