Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 02:01 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times

Advertisements

My solution ban guns that shoot up the faces of scampering kids in a mere seconds, with a couple squeezes of the trigger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 02:32 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Perhaps with proper training and familiarization, particularly at a younger age, you wouldn't have such an irrational phobia of an inanimate object. You really might want to talk with a mental health professional about that. For your sake, I hope there aren't too many police in your area armed with those scary guns.
Great, let's make everyone not fear guns! So tell me how that will keep people from using them to kill?????

Guns are made to kill people. In the right situation I'm positive you'd be pissing your pants in fear of them.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:36 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Great, let's make everyone not fear guns! So tell me how that will keep people from using them to kill?????

Guns are made to kill people. In the right situation I'm positive you'd be pissing your pants in fear of them.
Do you have this same irrational phobia about cars, which kill far more than guns? Or swimming pools? Bicycles?

You're half right...there are situations where I would be in fear of a gun. Specifically if I saw a mentally unstable person who had just shot several other innocent people, pointing one in my direction. Particularly if I were somewhere I was banned from carrying my CCW weapon and had no means of defusing the situation. I am equally fearful of an incompetant driver crossing the center line and aiming a several ton missle in my direction. In both cases, they have something in common...an operator.

The rational person realizes that guns are a tool, no more, no less.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:37 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,460,887 times
also hunting should be taught in school. it is funny how kids who hunt with their parents dont suffer from ADHD, why is that? becasue they gotta sit still for hrs on end without speaking. have all kids hunt is a good solution too. it will **** off the pharmacy companies becasue they wont be able to drug our kids.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Lessons from a lot of countries that you'd rather not list here, would suffice, actually (including Switzerland).
So you want to selectively pick and choose data that demonstrates your point, but disregard any that doesn't? Got it.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:42 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Do you have this same irrational phobia about cars, which kill far more than guns? Or swimming pools? Bicycles?

Nothing irrational about fearing guns. It would be irrational to NOT fear them considering the damage they do in the wrong hands... Or did you forget that 3 days ago 20 six year olds were massacred by a nut with GUNS.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:44 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
All of which have legitimate purposes in society. They are not dedicated killing machines.

Quote:
You're half right...there are situations where I would be in fear of a gun. Specifically if I saw a mentally unstable person who had just shot several other innocent people, pointing one in my direction. Particularly if I were somewhere I was banned from carrying my CCW weapon and had no means of defusing the situation.
So you agree bans work, good now we're getting somewhere.

Quote:
I am equally fearful of an incompetant driver crossing the center line and aiming a several ton missle in my direction. In both cases, they have something in common...an operator.
Yeah that suck but at least you may have the opportunity to react and get out of dodge. You have no shot maneuvering from someone firing multiple bullets in your direction in a couple of seconds.

Quote:
The rational person realizes that guns are a tool, no more, no less.
A deadly tool that makes killing far too efficient. We are going to ban its use in civil society. It is not acceptable to have 5 year olds left unrecognizable by a barrage of bullets.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:51 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,676,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
All of which have legitimate purposes in society. They are not dedicated killing machines.

Yeah that suck but at least you may have the opportunity to react and get out of dodge. You have no shot maneuvering from someone firing multiple bullets in your direction in a couple of seconds.

A deadly tool that makes killing far too efficient. We are going to ban its use in civil society. It is not acceptable to have 5 year olds left unrecognizable by a barrage of bullets.
What about a barrage of "00" shot from a shotgun ?

Even if every weapon except shotguns were banned, the killer would have just brought a few sawed off shotguns.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:54 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Well, I guess gun training cannot cure mental illness. Thanks.

Perhaps the mentally ill should not be "mainstreamed" and fully integrated into society? Liberalism, as usual, with the best of intentions, always results in catastrophic failure, as it is a departure from common sense and experience.

Gun training for those not mentally ill, by the way, is an excellent suggestion. My mentally balanced children have been shooting since age 5 and have never had the urge to kill people, with or without firearms.
Anyone can become mentally ill at any point in their life.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Neither are my firearms. None have killed any person...and very few have killed animals. They have killed many stacks of targets though.

Quote:

Gun bans work about like bans on pot, heroin or meth. How's that working out for us?

Quote:

How's that again? I can dodge several tons of metal coming at me in my lane...that is one lane wide? I have a far better chance against a gunman, especially when I am armed.

Quote:
It is not acceptable to have 5 year olds left unrecognizable by a barrage of bullets.
I agree with you. Why don't we ban murder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies