Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 04:40 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times

Advertisements

Because American professors especially those in social sciences are all liberals.
Their students are trained to be liberals too.

Thre are some exceptions, of course. One professor in my university once said in class that Muslims in the US should conform to American culture, otherwise they can leave. As you can imagine he was crticized and forced to apologize. I am not saying he was right, but it shows conservatives have a hard time in college.

Another anthropology professor said there should be no race in America and refused to report her and her son's "race" for some paperwork and caused some trouble. She is actually Jewish but is against religion.

I am not religious, but I am socially conservative. Many people are just like me. and neither party represents our ideology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 06:02 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,910,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
There are some exceptions, of course. One professor in my university once said in class that Muslims in the US should conform to American culture, otherwise they can leave. As you can imagine he was criticized and forced to apologize. I am not saying he was right, but it shows conservatives have a hard time in college.
Exactly, it's the sheep mentality....in a world where wolves survive.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:16 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Because they are well-educated. Thus, they function on the basis of data and science. Not fairy tales and ignorance.
Hate to clue you in but there very few people in rural New England who have college degrees. Have you ever even been here?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Perhaps due to the level of education in New England? Perhaps because there is little evangelical tradition and demonization of gays? Perhaps because there is respect for science?
Connecticut doesn't have rural areas, it is one huge bedroom community.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:19 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Like most states MN goes democrat because of Minneapolis which overwhelmingly votes democrat like most urban areas. You're also the state who voted Jessie Ventura governor, so much for intelligence.
MN is a top 5 state in the US in education right up there with CT and MA.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
All this higher education mumbo jumbo is a nice lie.

Truth is, most level-headed folks know that:

1) the world is more than 7,000 years old.
2) tax cuts for billionaires don't "trickle down"
3) religious intolerance and theocracy was dismissed by this country centuries ago
4) folks of all colors are equally "American:
5) partisan media is hog ****e
6) there is more that is valuable in this world than profit
7) the free market will never work FOR people or the environment
8) televangelists don't have your best interests in mind
9) atmospheric physics is not a leftist plot
10) you can't shrink a deficit and grow and economy through tax cuts alone
11) Etc,etc,etc.

You don't need to go to college to learn this stuff, it is just common sense. Reality just has a stronger presence in New England than in the bible belt.

I don't see New England as always going left, but it is usually center-left. A sensible place to be
I'm sorry but you are wrong.

Most New Englanders self describe as conservative.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
Default Amused

I am amused by many poster's misunderstanding of what it means to by a YANKEE.

The primary characteristic of a Yanke is accurate observation and realistic expectations. In addition there is planning and commonsense. All of these were taught to many generations of Yankees by the experience of Winter. Winter requires planning, savings, and delayed satisfaction. It once enforced isolation and a need for self control. I also allows people to be complete individuals as well as keeping watch for your neighbors.

I do not care about your religion, sex life or even how much money you have stashed away. Those are private matters and yours, not mine.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:32 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workaholics View Post
In most of the country, areas that are rural and heavily white tend to vote Republican. What is different about rural New England that makes most people there vote for Democrats? It's certainly an interesting political outlier.
new england is not really "rural" in the sense that I think of it. if you live in a small community of houses and shops, surrounded by non-agricultural conservation land, in my view that's more of a gentrified small-town urban environment.

"Rural America", in my view, shows the pattern of individual homesteads living far away from one another.

That said, I would say the following groups tend toward voting Republican:
- Whites who live near a black 'underclass'
- Anyone who farms row crops
- Anyone who mines
- Anyone who lives on a homestead, isolated from "community life."
- Anyone who lives far away from a major city.

New England doesn't fit any of these patterns.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
new england is not really "rural" in the sense that I think of it. if you live in a small community of houses and shops, surrounded by non-agricultural conservation land, in my view that's more of a gentrified small-town urban environment.

"Rural America", in my view, shows the pattern of individual homesteads living far away from one another.

That said, I would say the following groups tend toward voting Republican:
- Whites who live near a black 'underclass'
- Anyone who farms row crops
- Anyone who mines
- Anyone who lives on a homestead, isolated from "community life."
- Anyone who lives far away from a major city.

New England doesn't fit any of these patterns.
Pretty good summation, I would add though that almost half of the wealthiest communities here in Massachusetts voted Republican.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 12-17-2012 at 07:51 AM..

Old 12-17-2012, 07:46 AM

691 posts, read 771,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELR123 View Post
Republicans tend to appeal to the religious. New England is not very religious (by American standards).
I guess the pilgrims were not religious after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies