Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 06:11 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
You ARE kidding, correct??
Nope, not at all.

Quote:
Just in case you are a leftie with no ability to realize it, news flash to you: we have no money so that equals NO spending
We have no money eh? So how are we currently spending money on a whole host of things everyday?

Quote:
- especially on things we do not need right now.
And what we "need" is a matter of opinion. I'd argue that we "need" to spend most of the money on that list, along with a whole bunch more on other things.

Quote:
It is a very simple concept and one the loony left just can't seem to understand.
Actually, it's not a simple concept. People like you seem to have trouble grasping the idea that the federal budget and spending is not comparable to a household budget or balancing a checkbook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 06:12 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
Nope, not at all.

We have no money eh? So how are we currently spending money on a whole host of things everyday?

And what we "need" is a matter of opinion. I'd argue that we "need" to spend most of the money on that list, along with a whole bunch more on other things.

Actually, it's not a simple concept. People like you seem to have trouble grasping the idea that the federal budget and spending is not comparable to a household budget or balancing a checkbook.
I am utterly embarrassed for you.

Did you collect your entitlement check this morning?

Where do you think all this "money" is? Our country has the biggest deficit ever. Your views are the devastating ones that are ruining this great country.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:15 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This is why people don't want their taxes raised. The revenue doesn't go for paying off the deficit. It goes for more Obama spending on federal government projects. And if the spending conservatives block it for the federal government add-ons, the spendaholics will say the big mean tea party conservatives in Congress don't want to help the Hurricane Sandy people.

"President Obama’s $60.4 billion request for Hurricane Sandy relief has morphed into a huge Christmas stocking of goodies:"

Obama Sandy aid bill filled with holiday goodies unrelated to storm damage - NYPOST.com

$13 billion would go to “mitigation” projects to prepare for future storms (details?).
$8 million to buy cars and equipment for the Homeland Security and Justice Depts
$150 million for the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration for fisheries in Alaska
$207 million for the VA Manhattan Medical Center
$41 million to fix up eight military bases along the storm’s path, including Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
$3.3 million for the Plum Island Animal Disease Center
$2 million for the Smithsonian Institution to repair museum roofs in DC
$1.1 million to repair national cemeteries
If I were you, I'd be more worried about mothers killing their babies.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:21 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This is why people don't want their taxes raised. The revenue doesn't go for paying off the deficit. It goes for more Obama spending on federal government projects. And if the spending conservatives block it for the federal government add-ons, the spendaholics will say the big mean tea party conservatives in Congress don't want to help the Hurricane Sandy people.

"President Obama’s $60.4 billion request for Hurricane Sandy relief has morphed into a huge Christmas stocking of goodies:"

Obama Sandy aid bill filled with holiday goodies unrelated to storm damage - NYPOST.com

$207 million for the VA Manhattan Medical Center

Glad you only think veterans live in Tennessee....

Old 12-17-2012, 06:33 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Sneaking pork into bills is nothing new.
Congress does not care that we are deep in debt.

Why is anyone surprised or even outraged at this ?

We sent Obama back to the Oval Office and the spenders in Congress are still there.
The majority spoke. They want to keep the BAU policies of DC which is spend now and worry about the debt later.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
I am utterly embarrassed for you.
I would worry about being embarrassed for yourself. There is plenty to go around there.

Quote:
Did you collect your entitlement check this morning?
No, and if I did, do you somehow feel it invalidates my views?

Quote:
Where do you think all this "money" is?
Lots of places. The wealthy/big businesses has a boatload of it they are hoarding thanks to a tax code that allows it (though some change is coming there). We can make more, borrow more, or run a deficit.

Long story short, we can get it if we need it.

Quote:
Our country has the biggest deficit ever.
Not when adjusted for inflation. Our debt as % of GDP has been higher in the past, particularly the post WWII years.

Quote:
Your views are the devastating ones that are ruining this great country.
Quit being a drama queen. This country is not "ruined".

Old 12-17-2012, 06:54 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I would worry about being embarrassed for yourself. There is plenty to go around there.

No, and if I did, do you somehow feel it invalidates my views?

Lots of places. The wealthy/big businesses has a boatload of it they are hoarding thanks to a tax code that allows it (though some change is coming there). We can make more, borrow more, or run a deficit.

Long story short, we can get it if we need it.

Not when adjusted for inflation. Our debt as % of GDP has been higher in the past, particularly the post WWII years.

Quit being a drama queen. This country is not "ruined".
You are the exact problem with this country!

Take from the wealthy business owners because they should not have so much success, just make more money or run a deficit so we can still get our entitlements and let future generations deal with it as long as I get mine now.....all pathetic leftie views that ARE ruining this country.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
You are the exact problem with this country!
That's quite the charge, if I do say so myself. Especially in the context of recent times where crazies with guns have killed a bunch of innocents, including school children.

Quote:
Take from the wealthy business owners because they should not have so much success,
Quote where I said they should "not have so much success" please.

Quote:
just make more money or run a deficit so we can still get our entitlements and let future generations deal with it as long as I get mine now.....
You're attempting to use buzzwords and emotion to describe an economic theory which has worked very well, including pulling us out of the Great Depression. Somehow, I get the feeling you don't have any formal education in economics though.

Quote:
all pathetic leftie views that ARE ruining this country.
So what are your views, exactly?

Old 12-17-2012, 08:05 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,608,363 times
Their Formal education is fox news imfortunately....

Old 12-17-2012, 08:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I love the deflection here. That Sandy relief bill is full of pork for other government agencies and has nothing to do with helping NYC or NJ who were the ones who asked for the loan.

Nice way to sneak in money to other agencies to spend on their pet projects.

The losers here are the people in NY and NJ that went to the President to ask for this money.
How much will be left for them after the other government agencies grab their handful ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies