Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 12:01 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times

Advertisements

It has been shown before that many of the school shooter prior have been on this type stuff like you show in your OP and I have never seen anyone reporting or talking about the issue. Well I will recant that as there have been a few specials and the like over the years but it's all brushed under the rug. Like I said the drug companies have a powerful lobby and they don't want any kind of bad press going out and the government who runs the schools and pushes this stuff onto kids who don't behave properly don't want it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 12:04 AM

781 posts, read 1,195,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Not to mention the millions of people on this medication that haven't spontaneously turned violent.
Agreed. And, the millions of folks who kill with guns (or other weaponry) who are not prescribed any type of psychotropic medication. I live in Baltimore, there's been 210 homicides alone this year, (primarily gun related), at least a person shot per day, at least that's what is reported. A majority of these individuals are not on medication, at least according to news reports, with the exception of a few teens over the past several years.

Think looking at mental health on a larger scale should be priority; rather than just medication, the conditions, environments, situations, and psychiatric symptomology that contribute to this kind of incomprehensible activity.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:42 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Um.
People who take SSRIs do so because their brain chemistry is out of whack.

So which is it? The crazy person or the drug to help the crazy person?

Could be either, but there's some pretty obvious correlation here that may negate the causation argument you seek to make.
That's a very good point, but the doctor did point out that the gun violence seems to have increased in direct correlation to the amount that these drugs are used - the mass murders were extremely rare beforehand. That wouldn't be true if the illness was causing the violence because the illness of depression has been around forever.

I've had experience of the Prozac effect that was hushed up so quickly. It made me feel so uncomfortable (akathisia) that I'm surprised I didn't kill myself - it lasted for a few weeks after stopping the medication.

This might be one aspect of the mass murders. It probably won't be extensively investigated though, considering the profits involved, and considering those corporations do basically control a number of politicians (that's one reason I say that huge multinational corporations need MORE regulating, not less).

Another aspect will be tighter controls on assault weapons, no more high capacity. That takes the tools away from the worst of them.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:43 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
It's is a case of damned if you do/damned if you don't. All this chatter about better mental health care means drugs, like it or not we don't have any other magical way to change the brain chemistry. Schizophrenics off their meds, or on their meds, which is worse?

Old 12-17-2012, 12:44 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
That wouldn't be true if the illness was causing the violence because the illness of depression has been around forever.

True, but how long has the easy access to powerful guns been around for the average 20 year old? Or the ability to get to a school, mall, college campus, whatever? Modern society creates different opportunities than past societies did.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:54 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,157,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's is a case of damned if you do/damned if you don't. All this chatter about better mental health care means drugs, like it or not we don't have any other magical way to change the brain chemistry. Schizophrenics off their meds, or on their meds, which is worse?
It's much better to have them ON meds, the studies have all shown that and I've seen it - except for a rare few. There are just no simple solutions that work all the time ..... tragedies will happen no matter what ..... we can only hope to bring them back to pre-1990s levels.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:37 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
Well if the anti gun folks are going to ignore this med problem, the pro gun advocates are going to have to commit just as much effort and money to counter them so this can be brought to light and raise awareness. Some on the left on this thread agree that prescribing these antipsychotic meds can lead to problems.
Why can't people just have an opinion without being pigeoned holed as being left or right?? Why do you and KUChief define people as being left or right by their opinions? Do you always define yourself as a "rightie" or a republican when you give an opinion?

When I order a hot chocolate should I specify if I want dark chocolate and declare I'm a democrat, or should I specify a white chocolate and declare I'm a republican, or better yet, I specify I want milk chocolate and declare I'm independent or undecided?

Because you define yourself as being to the right, don't be so presumptuous as to define others whose thinking is not in line with yours as being left.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:12 AM

Stick to the topic.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
True, but how long has the easy access to powerful guns been around for the average 20 year old? Or the ability to get to a school, mall, college campus, whatever? Modern society creates different opportunities than past societies did.
How long has the ability to get to a school, mall or college campus been around? How long have we been able to have guns? Where have you been living anyway Mars?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Fact is many are over drugged and many of these children on drugs while their brains are developing is making em batsheet crazy. Don't worry though the government says it's all right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies