Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 07:48 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
Communication is important. What needs to be communicated to the disturbed is not special consideration, thats for the contained ....communication that things like this are simply impossible to express. If a public release was made authorizing carriers in the 1000's upon review the women and children in the communities would feel safer. Pull out a gun in a public place and you have a dozen guns in your face in seconds. I don't understand why you would work against the 1000's of guns out there owned by good people when they are so easy to get by the disturbed people. In short a new environment is in need where the disturbed violent person is showed zero mercy. Theres too much about the sickness for my liking, leave it in the clinic where you have control doc... and not enough about your going down in seconds if you think society is the villain.
You do realize that most violent crime against women is by her intimate partner. Right?

I don't need to be protected BY men. I need to be protected FROM men. And I can do that all by myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 07:51 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Maybe because they do not allow loaded guns at the gun shows.
This might be the most ignorant post i've ever witnessed.

Did it occur to you that they sell ammunition at a GUN SHOW??????

This is why we don't need ignorant people making gun laws.

Un****ingbelievable.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:55 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Army Soldier View Post
It's something to think about. There has never been a murder or a mass shooting at a Gun Show. Do you think there is a reason for this? I mean think about it. There are thousands of firearms at every gun show held every weekend somewhere within the United States.................yet not one record of a person or persons ever going on a shooting spree to purposely kill people. That pretty much speaks volumes.
What are you suggesting? That we hold guns shows in the hallways of elementary schools?

Old 12-17-2012, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecu View Post
I that the people that do things like this will go after the weaker people of society, not the ones that are likely armed and able to protect themselves.

Here is something that isn't in the mainstream news: Media blackout: Oregon mall shooter was stopped by an armed citizen - Virginia Beach Conservative | Examiner.com
Quote:
"As I was going down to pull, I saw someone in the back of the Charlotte move, and I knew if I fired and missed, I could hit them," he said.
Meli took cover inside a nearby store. He never pulled the trigger. He stands by that decision.
How did the armed citizen stop him, since the armed citizen took cover? The story didn't say that the armed citizen spoke to the gunman. The citizen said that the gunman saw him, but I wonder how since he was behind a pillar, and then went into a store.

Maybe the gunman had already decided to kill himself.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:02 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
You do realize that most violent crime against women is by her intimate partner. Right?

I don't need to be protected BY men. I need to be protected FROM men. And I can do that all by myself.
Ok.. making a note right now.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:02 AM

58 posts, read 126,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
How did the armed citizen stop him, since the armed citizen took cover? The story didn't say that the armed citizen spoke to the gunman. The citizen said that the gunman saw him, but I wonder how since he was behind a pillar, and then went into a store.

Maybe the gunman had already decided to kill himself.
I took it to say(after reading 3 different articles) that the gunman retreated after seeing Nick Meli with his gun drawn.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:06 AM

691 posts, read 771,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I'd like to see a figure on how many murders every year are committed by CHL holders.

NONE. The same probably goes for NRA members.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:12 AM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,726 times
Quote:
I that the people that do things like this will go after the weaker people of society, not the ones that are likely armed and able to protect themselves.

Here is something that isn't in the mainstream news: Media blackout: Oregon mall shooter was stopped by an armed citizen - Virginia Beach Conservative | Examiner.com

I did not know this. This very well could of saved many lives and obviously changed the whole event. The authorities should be talking about this and encouraging people to follow. The path to take guns away makes no sense at all. Hypothetically....if every disturbed person.."thought and believed: people everywhere had a very aggressive gun in their pocket, there would be no attempt as attempts are known. Therefore thats the way to go.

Last edited by stargazzer; 12-17-2012 at 08:20 AM..

Old 12-17-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I took it to say(after reading 3 different articles) that the gunman retreated after seeing Nick Meli with his gun drawn.
The only person who said that the gunman saw him is the citizen. The gun man might have been looking in the general direction, but how far away was he? He was taking cover behind a pillar, so how much of him was showing? He wasn't standing out in the open and aiming at the gunman, he SAID he was taking cover.

Taking cover is usually putting something between you and the other person (pillar). How did the gunman see him through a pillar?

I think that the citizen did the right thing in not firing inside a mall. He said himself, that there was a chance that he might have hit another person. He used good judgement in this situation. I commend him for staying level headed, calm, using reason, and basically doing what anyone who has a CW license is trained to do.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelStraker View Post
NONE. The same probably goes for NRA members.
Most CHL holders have had training, and are required to pass some sort of test. I have no problem with them at all. The number of shootings by CHL holders is extremely low. (about 139 since May 2007)
But they are humans too. Some go off the deep end.

Josh Sugarmann: Killings by Concealed Handgun Licensees Hit 139 Since May 2007
Quote:
The number of killings by concealed handgun permit holders since since May 2007 has hit 139, according to the February update to the Violence Policy Center's Concealed Carry Killers web site. Included in the killings are nine dead law enforcement officers, 13 mass shootings, and 11 murder-suicides.
I'm sure the majority of deaths were for self protection, but there were others. There is no group that is 100% good all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies