Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2012, 06:04 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,100,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
In truth, black men need to take back their communities by policing them and working directly with law enforcement to report criminal activity/drug dealing. Also, black men who reside in these communities need to band together and create non profit organizations, which provide mentorship to black boys/teens to help ensure that they have access to positive black male role models.

Resolution will only come about, when we, as black people begin to seriously address the violence, as a unified force.
In truth America needs to take back their communities and should be ashamed for letting some areas get as bad as they have.

Notice how crack cocaine was a black epidemic? It's widely known that organized crime targeted black communities. It devastated black communities in the 80's.

Years of oppression and racism. The social images the media feeds us black men (which are controlled by white men). The inferior schools.

There's issues that black Americans need to take ownership of and theirs issues that America needs to take ownership of.

The same could be said for impoverished rural white areas. Or impoverished areas of any racial makeup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 06:36 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,189,893 times
Guns are banned in Chicago though?!?!?!

Old 12-19-2012, 07:05 AM

24,370 posts, read 22,982,365 times
The left glorifies the Chicago gangster style politics of Obama and Rahm Emmanuel and both ignores and decries gun violence. Hypocrites. Schizos.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:08 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,015,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Poverty in itself, does not create crime/violence.There's a strong element of mental illness amongst black boys and men who get involved with gang violence. In lieu of sending the non violent offenders to prison, it's best to simply support programs which seek to address the underlining mental health issues.
Nobody stops black men from marrying their "babies momma's" and staying in the young child's life.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:51 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,534,369 times
I am from Chicago.

Do any of you even know what is causing the gun violence?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:00 AM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
If one does not plan to make it to age 20, likely there is a very different framework at work, here. What's the difference between killing 1 or 100? The outcome is the same.

I think gangs offer some kids a sense of belonging and identity.

"Stop and frisk" is not going to stop a gang. I advocate for maintaining a strong military
presence in the streets, in the worst gang areas and be ready to move when the gangs do. Nothing short of this is going to make a dent.
If someone does not think they will make it to age 20, I think this could most likely be a variety of things. It could be the feeling of "killing is normal here, and I might get killed before I turn 20", or a sense of nihilism and cynicism.

Gangs do offer a sense of belonging. Some youths feel like gang members get everything, from women to respect, to money.

I do advocate putting the military on the streets. However, we should also know who is in a gang, and who isn't.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
And no one will care either until some white dude pulls a gun on a black kid and kills him.
Actually, a White guy pulled a gun on a bunch of White children and killed them. It's when Black on Black killing happens that no one seems to care.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Really? That's common knowledge. Gangs are VERY likely to use juveniles to commit felonies specifically because juvie laws are much more lenient. I'm quite surprised people don't know that.
It's not common knowledge to me because what I know about gangs comes from watching a few episodes of Gangland, and what I was taught in a criminology class, and the professor sure did not tell me that.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:03 AM

78,013 posts, read 60,221,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Criminals are not law-abiding people. Criminals don't care about gun laws.
I wish you'd stop making such good posts when I cannot rep you again so soon.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's because Blacks aren't profiled for gun crimes now.
Actually, Blacks get profiled in general. Stop and frisk has never encouraged "self-policing".

Quote:
Um... gangs already hate the police.
Actually,I'm not talking about gangs. I'm talking about some regular Black people who aren't in gangs. Some Black people resent the police and avoid them because they don't want to be harassed.

Black males' fear of racial profiling very real, regardless of class - Los Angeles Times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies