Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 07:18 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,729,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Maybe the OP and his/her supporters ought to be required to take a Civics test and get a federal permit to own a computer before posting anywhere.
I think we need civics test before people are allowed to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2014, 11:03 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,869,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
I think we need civics test before people are allowed to vote.
So you support requiring a test before being allowed to exercise your Right to vote, but you don't support requiring a safety test before being able to buy a gun?????? That isn't very consistent.

Be careful not to speak out of both sides of your mouth, or else you'll be an easy target for anti-gunners and they'll turn your own arguments around on you, much in the same way I just did above. A Constitutional Right is a Constitutional Right. Voting is every bit as protected as the Right to keep and bear arms. You can't argue that requiring a test before being allowed to exercise your 2A Rights is an infringement, and then say you support tests before being allowed to exercise the Right to vote.... The logic doesn't follow.

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 07-31-2014 at 12:24 AM..

Old 07-31-2014, 02:16 AM

9,282 posts, read 6,729,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
So you support requiring a test before being allowed to exercise your Right to vote, but you don't support requiring a safety test before being able to buy a gun?????? That isn't very consistent.

Be careful not to speak out of both sides of your mouth, or else you'll be an easy target for anti-gunners and they'll turn your own arguments around on you, much in the same way I just did above. A Constitutional Right is a Constitutional Right. Voting is every bit as protected as the Right to keep and bear arms. You can't argue that requiring a test before being allowed to exercise your 2A Rights is an infringement, and then say you support tests before being allowed to exercise the Right to vote.... The logic doesn't follow.
It was a joke, sarcasm does not travel well on line.

Old 07-31-2014, 03:16 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,869,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
It was a joke, sarcasm does not travel well on line.
Capturing the tone of the written word can be difficult sometimes..... I know what you mean about ignorant people, and it is certainly scary to think these people might be voting, but I guess we can be thankful the majority of these type of people can't be bothered to exercise their civic duty...

Although I don't know.... Obama was elected twice, so maybe they vote after all.....

Old 07-31-2014, 04:08 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,258,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
1) Abolish Gun shows. Unlicensed dealers can sell guns there without any background checks and 40% guns are bought and sold through this loophole.
It isn't a "loophole." Just because you think something shouldn't be allowed doesn't mean it's a "loophole" in the law.

All dealers (someone in the business of selling guns) must be licensed. It's the law. So, your statement is misleading.

Quote:
2) Strict protocols for licensed dealers.
What makes you think there are not strict protocols? Dealers selling at gun shows must follow the same rules and procedures as when selling in their shop.

A private citizen selling a gun at a gun show is not required to follow those procedures, just as if they had placed a "for sale" ad in a local paper. They are not "dealers."

Quote:
3) Any buyer must first take and pass a safety class, a psychological screening test, and have no previous misdemeanors or felonies.
I believe it's already against the law for a convicted felon to own a gun.

Psychological screening test? Please. Administered by whom, and at what point in the buying/selling process? I think this is bit restrictive, and not practical.

Gun safety is a personal responsibility. Again, to require someone take and pass a safety class before buying a gun is overly restrictive. The Second Amendment does not say "...the right to bear arms shall not be infringed as long as a safety class is passed." It says, "...the right to bear arms shall not be infringed."

Because you don't like guns does not mean you get to make rules for those who wish to own guns.

Quote:
4) One month waiting period before purchasing gun.
For what purpose? A show may be in two weeks. How can I buy a gun at a show if I am not allowed to buy for a month? Who determines when that waiting period starts? How do you know when I may have decided to buy a gun.

Do I have to "apply" to some government agency for a permit to buy a gun?

Again, overly restrictive. Typical of Leftist bureaucratic thinking. You people seem to think that the government must be involved at some level for every private decision or activity, no matter what.

Quote:
5) Ammunition cannot be purchased online. A registry is kept also for Ammunition purchase with a limit set on amount per period of time.
Ridiculous! And, what about people who load there own?

Quote:
6) Finally, a 100% tax on guns and ammunition to pay for extra police, safety measures in schools/public places (bullet proof doors, windows, surveillance cameras, etc.), medical expenses of future victims, and any other cost that results from a shooting or to prevent a deadly shooting.
Oh, please! My neighbor who owns guns, likes to hunt and target shoot is not responsible for "school shootings etc., nor is any other gun owner. The only people responsible in these incidents are the perpetrators. And, lets remember that "gun free zones" are where most of these crimes take place. It's an open invitation to those who would do violence. There should be no "gun free zones." Sandy Hook serves as an example: Many lives were lost because there was no one with a gun to stop the shooter.

Quote:
I will be submitting these suggestions to my congressman and senators.
And, your Congressman and Senators will probably laugh at these suggestions, unless they are liberal Democrats like you!

I wonder how many Democrat Senators and Congressmen own guns? Just a thought.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
And being law abiding citizens they need to obtain thousands of rounds of ammo over the internet.

I suppose you have proof that they are buying "thousands of rounds of ammo over the Internet?"

Old 07-31-2014, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Shall not be infringed.... Pretty powerful
And pretty clear.

Old 07-31-2014, 04:59 AM

18,924 posts, read 14,111,175 times
FYI:
The right to bear arms is linked with the right to life and the right to defend that life from attack.
Rights do not need permission (license) to exercise.

The PRIVILEGE to vote is a political liberty, not an endowed right. Government can grant or withhold the privilege.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:48 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,504,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
And pretty clear.

You are going to see a lot of states, cities and municipalities, being challenged on the right to carry being demoted to a privilege, you must ask permission to do.

I don't think that falls under, "shall not be infringed"

Old 07-31-2014, 09:00 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,902,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Capturing the tone of the written word can be difficult sometimes..... I know what you mean about ignorant people, and it is certainly scary to think these people might be voting, but I guess we can be thankful the majority of these type of people can't be bothered to exercise their civic duty...

Although I don't know.... Obama was elected twice, so maybe they vote after all.....
Could have told you that when we elected Bush twice in a row, and yes I admit I voted for him also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies