Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 01:24 PM

1,229 posts, read 1,147,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Define an assault rifle.

Why do you keep avoiding the mental health issue? Yes, I'm a conservative actually advocating for MORE government spending on mental health. My point is that we have tried and tried again with gun control, as evidenced by the myriad of gun control laws. Perhaps we should stop doing the same thing again and again; let's try something that actually has a chance of being effective and makes sense. Let's see. Your proposal punishes the law abiding. My proposal suggests proper healthcare and treatment for mentally ill and if necessary (e.g. deemed a danger to themselves or others), the means to place them into a mental health facility.
An assault rifle as it is used in todays lexicon is a semi auto with a large mag. That is the way its used and that is what it has become. don't give me this mumbo jumbo about selective fire crap. Gay does not mean what it once did. Things change keep up or get off the bus.

I am not avoiding the mental health issue. I said if you would read it that its a part of the solution. Its not a this or that, its an all of the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 01:29 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itlltickleurinnerds View Post
An assault rifle as it is used in todays lexicon is a semi auto with a large mag. That is the way its used and that is what it has become. don't give me this mumbo jumbo about selective fire crap. Gay does not mean what it once did. Things change keep up or get off the bus.

I am not avoiding the mental health issue. I said if you would read it that its a part of the solution. Its not a this or that, its an all of the above.
So what is this arbitrary round number? Does that make a distinction for caliber, rifle versus handgun, shotgun? Retroactively or grandfathered? You see, how much more do we need? Oh and to top it off, each state has different laws, sometimes vastly different laws, with no reciprocity between them. You see, we've been down the gun control laws road many, many times. However, in the strictest gun control locations, such as Connecticut, it hasn't reduced gun crime. At what point do you think it's time to move on to something more effective?

Old 12-17-2012, 01:39 PM

Quote:
So what is this arbitrary round number? Does that make a distinction for caliber, rifle versus handgun, shotgun? Retroactively or grandfathered? You see, how much more do we need? Oh and to top it off, each state has different laws, sometimes vastly different laws, with no reciprocity between them. You see, we've been down the gun control laws road many, many times. However, in the strictest gun control locations, such as Connecticut, it hasn't reduced gun crime. At what point do you think it's time to move on to something more effective?
You make it way more complicated than it is. It would be like the NFA gun law, if you don't know what that is, its the National Firearms act that deals with full auto weapons. So its a federal law, that trumps state laws. Next to buy one of these weapons you have to and thats not a suggestion its you have to go through a class 3 dealer to get one. You have to submit to a back ground check and pay a tax to get the stamp that allows you to own the gun. To sell the new buyer has to do the same. Last it may not stop all crime, it most likely wont, but even if it stops one of this kind of shooting its worth it. You have talked about this for a day and its far from time to move on, if you don't want to talk about it, its called quit typing sister. But the nation is buzzing over it and this may be the thing that changes many peoples minds.

Many people will say that could be my kid, is having an AR in the closet worth taking that chance, or maybe is being able to buy one at a wal mart parking lot worth the chance? Maybe nothing can stop it form happening again but we have to try. To sit on our ass like you seem to advocate or to lump it all on the mental health industry is not the full answer neither is pure gun legislation but it is part of the answer. There is no silver bullet, but there are many things that can be done to slow the bleeding.

By your logic because seat belts will not stop all car deaths than why put them in cars.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:49 PM

Also another point if the brother knew and there seems to be some substance to this that the shooter was mental than the mother would have known this. if this is all true and she had the guns in the home she is as guilty to the shooting as he was.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
You make it way more complicated than it is. It would be like the NFA gun law, if you don't know what that is, its the National Firearms act that deals with full auto weapons. So its a federal law, that trumps state laws. Next to buy one of these weapons you have to and thats not a suggestion its you have to go through a class 3 dealer to get one. You have to submit to a back ground check and pay a tax to get the stamp that allows you to own the gun. To sell the new buyer has to do the same. Last it may not stop all crime, it most likely wont, but even if it stops one of this kind of shooting its worth it. You have talked about this for a day and its far from time to move on, if you don't want to talk about it, its called quit typing sister. But the nation is buzzing over it and this may be the thing that changes many peoples minds.

Many people will say that could be my kid, is having an AR in the closet worth taking that chance, or maybe is being able to buy one at a wal mart parking lot worth the chance? Maybe nothing can stop it form happening again but we have to try. To sit on our ass like you seem to advocate or to lump it all on the mental health industry is not the full answer neither is pure gun legislation but it is part of the answer. There is no silver bullet, but there are many things that can be done to slow the bleeding.

By your logic because seat belts will not stop all car deaths than why put them in cars.
One of us will be right and the other wrong. I suspect, based on general conversation I'm hearing from average people (aka not politicians or media) that Americans will not support such a restrictive gun ban as you propose. Remember, a vast majority of Americans support gun ownership and support for more restrictive gun controls is dropping. I suspect it's the same reason I have - it's not working. Time to try something new.

In Recent Years, a Drop in Public Support for Gun Control Laws - NYTimes.com

Old 12-17-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Also another point if the brother knew and there seems to be some substance to this that the shooter was mental than the mother would have known this. if this is all true and she had the guns in the home she is as guilty to the shooting as he was.
By Connecticut state law, yes. Of course, she's dead now but if she were still alive, she would likely see steep criminal charges brought against her.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
One of us will be right and the other wrong. I suspect, based on general conversation I'm hearing from average people (aka not politicians or media) that Americans will not support such a restrictive gun ban as you propose. Remember, a vast majority of Americans support gun ownership and support for more restrictive gun controls is dropping. I suspect it's the same reason I have - it's not working. Time to try something new.

In Recent Years, a Drop in Public Support for Gun Control Laws - NYTimes.com
No I don't agree, gun laws like the NICs check has stopped some people from getting guns. But when you have a loop hole the size of the moon where you can by pass the system and buy any semi rifle or hand gun or any gun not regulated by the NFA in a parking lot in most states then there really is not gun control. Even if your laws in your state are strict you can simply in most cases just drive across a state line and buy that gun you can't get in your state. Its a false argument.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
By Connecticut state law, yes. Of course, she's dead now but if she were still alive, she would likely see steep criminal charges brought against her.
So the law needs to be strengthened, People who own guns should be asked do you have anyone living with you or that will have access to your guns that has had a history of mental illness, and remind them they can be charged with a crime if they lie or if the person gets ahold of their guns. Maybe it would have made this woman think twice about her situation. One other thing, there is something that stinks in the wood pile. This woman is said to have been in fear of what ever and wanted protection, first of I own and have built ARs, AKs, M1A1s, Garands bla bla bal FNFALs Mini14s ect. and never have I ever kept one for self defence in my home. I carry a Ruger SR9c and keep a Glock 27 hidden in my home. An AR is not a good weapon for home defence. A shotgun, short barreled pump maybe, but an AR no not buying it. Something is wrong here. I have read that she was a survivalist, but then that was refuted. It may take a week or more but something is wrong here.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:05 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,670,550 times
How about a new law that bars gun ownership among people who think there will be an apocalypse and that only owning 10 assault rifles will protect them. How about we throw them in the loony bin too? Clearly the mother wasn't playing with a full deck either.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
How about a new law that bars gun ownership among people who think there will be an apocalypse and that only owning 10 assault rifles will protect them. How about we throw them in the loony bin too?
You need to watch the old movie the survivors. With Walter Mathau and Robin Williams. It was all about a guy who gets robbed and turns to the survivalist mentality, the guru they followed was a capitalist who did not buy into the end of the world, but was just selling these idiots the false sense of security. LOL Idiots. Great movie but hard to find. If you listen to Glenn Beck he sells Meal security, but he is a Mormon or moron who believes that they have to save up 1 year of food. LOL Religion is full of mental illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies