Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 04:06 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
See the difference is that these items you list are ridiculous and will never happen. So, no I don't worry about. I also don't collect gold and silver-- I used money. I don't drink, and since the state insurance I buy paid for the chemotherapy and surgery that saved my life, I'll go ahead and not worry about the last one either...

You see, not being nuts makes life much, much easier! And you can look at reasonable restrictions on assault rifles as something that may prevent the massacre of six year olds, instead of a personal affront to your "liberty"
Gold confiscation happened under FDR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 04:44 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
gun owners will never give up their weapons because most of them think that they are about to engage in an armed rebellion against the government any day now.
Won't they be surprised when the well-regulated militia that is the US Armed Forces and local police stomp on them with all their military might? I don't think those piddling little home arsenals have much of a chance against even a SWAT team, much less the actual military. Yeah, they might kill or wound a few individuals, but the outcome is not going to be in their favor. So we might as well take that excuse for arsenal-building right off the table. It might have worked in the days when the government was no more well-armed than the people, but times have changed.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Responsible gun owners follow the law right now.

The Sandy Hook Shooter broke the law in the most heinous way possible to get his hands on a gun by murdering his own mother! Do you think crooks will stop being crooks because of yet another law?
He murdered her with her own gun, which fact means that she wasn't a very responsible gun owner. She did not secure her guns to prevent unauthorized persons (yes, including her sons) to be able to access them. If her son did have previously known mental problems, she should certainly have made sure he had no access.

Old 12-17-2012, 04:53 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Won't they be surprised when the well-regulated militia that is the US Armed Forces and local police stomp on them with all their military might? I don't think those piddling little home arsenals have much of a chance against even a SWAT team, much less the actual military. Yeah, they might kill or wound a few individuals, but the outcome is not going to be in their favor. So we might as well take that excuse for arsenal-building right off the table. It might have worked in the days when the government was no more well-armed than the people, but times have changed.

You really think a bunch of 20 yr olds who come from predominantly right leaning, gun owning family's are going to obey a illegal order and kick in the door of their parents and grandparents house? The fastest way to push this country onto full scale internal conflict will be to establish outright confiscation....

Old 12-17-2012, 04:56 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Our military is strong in conventional warfare. It has a poor track record against unconventional warfare. Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, for example.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Our military is strong in conventional warfare. It has a poor track record against unconventional warfare. Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan, for example.
True, but I wonder just how unconventional these people really would be? Organizations can be infiltrated, and that is a time-honored method of espionage.

Really, the biggest piece of information the military/police needs to know about a seditious group is where they are. If the group is considered a big enough threat, they'll be flattened.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
You really think a bunch of 20 yr olds who come from predominantly right leaning, gun owning family's are going to obey a illegal order and kick in the door of their parents and grandparents house? The fastest way to push this country onto full scale internal conflict will be to establish outright confiscation....
Who in the world is talking about confiscation? We're talking about sedition, here. Overthrow of the federal government - and that is just not going to happen with the imbalance of firepower. That's what I was commenting about.

Now, if a certain thing is made illegal - and there is no way, in this country, that all guns will be made illegal - and you have that, you stand to lose it. No ifs, ands, or buts. HOWEVER, they wouldn't be sending SWAT teams to confiscate your guns, except perhaps in the most paranoid dreams (or large arsenals).

Old 12-17-2012, 05:35 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
True, but I wonder just how unconventional these people really would be? Organizations can be infiltrated, and that is a time-honored method of espionage.

Really, the biggest piece of information the military/police needs to know about a seditious group is where they are. If the group is considered a big enough threat, they'll be flattened.
Keep dreaming........I'm betting a good number of the Military and Police you put your hopes on will refuse to obey unlawfull orders.....

Old 12-17-2012, 05:39 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,212,031 times
come take them.... next you could bring us into the fascist fold and build your utopian society.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:54 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
"IF" there is a weapons ban, which hasn't happened yet, I doubt it will make "assault weapons" illegal to possess, but like the ban before will make the sale of them illegal. There will be lawsuits questioning the constitutionality of the law. If indeed it is found to be constitutional, I will make my decision at that time.. If in fact it is done with an executive order, then no, I will not comply because it would be unconstitutional.. Let's just wait and see what happens... Whatcha think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies