U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-17-2012, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
1,793 posts, read 2,703,080 times
Reputation: 1339

Advertisements

I would be interested in some thoughts and information on how much of our taxes go to welfare and other social payments for families below the poverty line, vs. how much of our tax money goes to corporate "welfare" for millionaires. Perhaps corporate welfare is a much greater societal problem than the stereotypical "welfare queen." Maybe we should spend more time and energy on closing these tax loopholes for the rich.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2012, 06:10 PM
 
Location: Old Bellevue, WA
18,794 posts, read 14,269,370 times
Reputation: 7950
Different sides of the same coin. Both are huge problems that have gotten us to $16 trillion debt, an debacle that should be an embarassment. If my family budget looked like our national budget I would be literally embarassed.

Pres. Obama is at least consistent--he wants to keep increasing both.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/bu...bank.html?_r=0

"Moderate" Republicans are of course friendly to corporate welfare too. The only faction that I know of opposing both is the Tea Party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2013, 05:32 PM
 
185 posts, read 137,879 times
Reputation: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Different sides of the same coin. Both are huge problems that have gotten us to $16 trillion debt, an debacle that should be an embarassment. If my family budget looked like our national budget I would be literally embarassed.

Pres. Obama is at least consistent--he wants to keep increasing both.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/bu...bank.html?_r=0

"Moderate" Republicans are of course friendly to corporate welfare too. The only faction that I know of opposing both is the Tea Party.

Which tea party?
The one related to Ron Paul or the ones that are simply a resergence of the "old right" pissy about obama?

As far as the OP and to the poster I'm replying, I agree that it's a same coin different sides issue. While social welfare for individuals has been more harmful than good to poor and minority communities. However, I bet the corporate welfare has and is costing the country more. The short and long term effects on what such things do to a supposed free market and the debt seems to be only the tip of iceberg.

I'd also think it would be helpful to define what one would considered a form of welfare. Oddly enough people don't agree on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2013, 05:34 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,430,103 times
Reputation: 12832
Define "Corporate welfare" so that we are clear with what you are asking. The term is thrown around so loosely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2013, 05:47 PM
 
9,665 posts, read 8,656,954 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Define "Corporate welfare" so that we are clear with what you are asking. The term is thrown around so loosely.
The stimulus bill. The congressmen were conned into thinking the economy was in grave danger unless money is given to banks. Didn't quiet turned out to be that way. Also there are many subsidies out there funded by the tax payer, that are given to corporations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2013, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Old Bellevue, WA
18,794 posts, read 14,269,370 times
Reputation: 7950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk101 View Post
Which tea party?
The one related to Ron Paul or the ones that are simply a resergence of the "old right" pissy about obama?

As far as the OP and to the poster I'm replying, I agree that it's a same coin different sides issue. While social welfare for individuals has been more harmful than good to poor and minority communities. However, I bet the corporate welfare has and is costing the country more. The short and long term effects on what such things do to a supposed free market and the debt seems to be only the tip of iceberg.

I'd also think it would be helpful to define what one would considered a form of welfare. Oddly enough people don't agree on it.
The tea party was always amorphous with everything from libertarian to religious right, and others.
Let's just say the pro-limited gov't faction, whether libertarians, Reaganites, or others. Most of what I consider the moderate and establishment R's, such as Perry, Gingrich, Romney, etc. are pretty comfortable with corporate welfare. Most of the GOP grass-roots base is not. The one Republican I know of who really spoke out a lot and really gets it when it comes to corporate welfare/crony capitalism is Sarah Palin.
Sarah Palin: How Congress Occupied Wall Street - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2013, 06:09 PM
 
24,503 posts, read 35,430,103 times
Reputation: 12832
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
The stimulus bill. The congressmen were conned into thinking the economy was in grave danger unless money is given to banks. Didn't quiet turned out to be that way. Also there are many subsidies out there funded by the tax payer, that are given to corporations.
Then the difference is simple in regards to the stimulus funding to banks. Corporate welfare is paid back with interest or current equity value while public assistance is a black hole.

Subsidies are an issue. The dairy subsidiary is one of the biggest offenders. The government subsidizes milk so that it can be sold at $3/gallon rather than the fair price of $7.30/gallon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2013, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Barrington
45,786 posts, read 34,032,409 times
Reputation: 15288
Here's Wiki's definition of corporate welfare which does not include the tax code:

Corporate welfare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are some of the corporates handouts within the recent Fiscal Cliff Bill.

Eight Corporate Subsidies in the Fiscal Cliff Bill, From Goldman Sachs to Disney to NASCAR naked capitalism

States, counties and municipalities compete for corporate business. Roads and infrastructures are built. Utilities are extended. Taxes are waived for years. Walmart has this down to a science.

The manufacturers of soda pop and snack foods lobby for their products to remain included in the SNAP Program, desoite their products have no nutritional value.

The U.S., despite all of its anti-smoking laws, continues to subsidize tobacco growers.

There are millions of examples of corporate welfare on the internet.

Corporate welfare is just about the most non-partisan thing about the U.S.

As for the tax code, that the world's most profitable corporation, Exxon, pays no corporate taxes says all that can be said.

No large corporation does anything without a big helping hand from governments in all forms.
They did not build their businesses, themselves.

Speculation on my part that the combined handouts, subsidies and tax code benefits far outstrip anything being done for the poor, exclusive of Medicare.

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 01-10-2013 at 06:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2013, 06:31 PM
 
39,225 posts, read 20,343,317 times
Reputation: 12743
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan921 View Post
I would be interested in some thoughts and information on how much of our taxes go to welfare and other social payments for families below the poverty line, vs. how much of our tax money goes to corporate "welfare" for millionaires. Perhaps corporate welfare is a much greater societal problem than the stereotypical "welfare queen." Maybe we should spend more time and energy on closing these tax loopholes for the rich.

Any thoughts?
Nice try, but don't bother defending the welfare queen. They are what they are, leeches that depend on other Americans being away from their families and giving the money they work hard for to the government to buy your vote.

The answer to your question is too much and too much. Don't bother trying to defend the welfare queens and kings. Obama is bought both corporate welfare and welfare king and queens.

AND many of you don't know that while your taxes went up Hollywood got an enormous tax credit (tax break) so now we got liberal "Hollywood Welfare".

Us everyday taxpaying Americans pay the bill and we just don't matter. When will you get that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2013, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Barrington
45,786 posts, read 34,032,409 times
Reputation: 15288
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

The one Republican I know of who really spoke out a lot and really gets it when it comes to corporate welfare/crony capitalism is Sarah Palin.
Sarah Palin: How Congress Occupied Wall Street - WSJ.com
Alaska, the welfare state?
Alaska, one of the states that takes more from federal government than it contributes?
Alaska, one of the states without an income tax, because other states subsidize them?
Alaska with the $4 billion bridge and road to nowhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top