Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 03:42 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,703,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Huckabee is an idiot. Where was God when children were abused by Catholic priests? Or is there not enough God in the Catholic Church?

If God exists (and that is a big if), it appears he didn't care.
Excellent point! This statement takes all credibility out of Huckabee's self righteous nonsense.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 03:45 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,215,498 times
God had nothing to do with a Madman with a gun shooting innocent people.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:54 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,224,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have read on CD so many posts about that day and never seen anyone mention God or where he was that day. Yes, one person did say that He was punishing us that day but for some reason nobody seems to wonder where He was that day. He wasn't in that school that day since we, through laws have pushed him out of the schools. I think he was there in the form of the teachers who willingly gave their lives trying to stop the slaughter. The Governor of Connecticut said much that same thing.

Where was God? Why didn't he stop that one from happening? How many prayers had those kids said of heard in that school? So many people have worked so hard to push God from those gun free zones we call public schools and now are surely wondering where he was and why He let that happen. If you don't want to hear the subject broached it is time to get away from this thread.

Huckabee: Where Was God During Connecticut Shooting?
Same place as he/she always has been: in the imagination of those who wish the world was fair, kind, and gentle.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:56 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,119,453 times
Quote:
If God exists (and that is a big if), it appears he didn't care.
Interesting are you and the rest on this board trying to psychoanalysis GOD...If so, I would be very concerned about your mental state...I hope you don't own a gun

Old 12-18-2012, 04:00 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,703,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
It wasn't an excellent point, it was a completely inane and irrational point. Free will is free will. That means everyone has it. If God "cared" about the free will of the students, that would mean restricting the free will of the man who killed them. This isn't a matter of being faithful or being an atheist, it's just a matter of applying logical reasoning. If only nice people have free will, then it isn't free will.
God could have caused the guns to malfunction, thus maintaining the "free will" of all.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:03 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,276,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post
Interesting are you and the rest on this board trying to psychoanalysis GOD...If so, I would be very concerned about your mental state...I hope you don't own a gun
You seem to know so much about God. Where would He come down on the gun control issue? Did He get his rocks off with weapons of war?

Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 PM

488 posts, read 411,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Ehm - wow.

I think you may be falling into the trap of thinking that because you and other religious characters feel the need to worship something, it logically follows that those who don't worship at your altar must worship something else. I've yet to experience someone "literally worshiping" any politician, nor have I seen anyone familiar with the scientific process insist that they had the "utter truth", and I don't actually think I've encountered any examples of people saying that "the government can solve everything".

Can't argue with the "feel-good goodfeel" line of thinking, though. It wouldn't feel good.

Doesn't religion rather require a supernatural element, for one thing? Your original post mentioned "some god", could you elaborate on that? Which god? How's this elevation going to take place?

Well, you may have no idea what constitutes a religion and what the default human need for spiritual authority will allow for. When faithful dependencies are involved, hope fills in glaring omissons & makes pseudo-sense of outright logical fallacies, and yes, people do think government can solve so many social ills with the proper funding, regulating, oversight & authority. Protection provided from high-up above is something most people want since it absolves them from adult responsibilities and I am not merely referencing to the fiscally poor & emotionally fragile, but those needing fanciful irreality in the face of factual reality, too. And humanities strange need for subservience, professed or unconcious, given to those who would agree to whatever they feel is correct or symapthetic.

People do put extraordinary faith in politicians and some are worshipped, though I doubt today you will see much of the exciting manifestations as you would have in the past. Properly indoctrinated citizens are more bridled, instilled with a sense of being brighter than those in the past and some developed cultures are in a transition from monotheistic personality faith-based designs toward a more realistic-seeming group authority based in providing civic protections, entitlements, 'rights' as they are labeled. This is nothing new, but it will be more secular as science replaces emotive faith in explaining how & what the world is. Not to say that that approach will lead to a life with more honesty but it will certainly appear more factual and it will be- to a point. Think Al Gore. He claims truth and nothing but, exhorting to many an obvious reality proven by unbiased scientific fact. This new faith will not be because god spoke to the pope so much as the scientific committee has found such and such to be true and they pass it to the media to extoll the necessary edicts enabled by governing regulation, funding all promoted by a pitch and salesperson. Will it be "utter truth"? Meh. But it will be treated as such or advanced as a truer alternative and so preferred.

Yes, religion needs some sort of 'divinity'. As I ended, I think a slightly more rational concept of religion is emerging from developed cultures, where society has been thru the blind faith mentality in some great man with magical powers and devoted followers. I am an atheist, BTW and couldn't care less what providence is worshipped or looked up to as salvation incarnate/not-so-benevolent caretakers from the stars. I have no altars so much as appreciation for what things are and what they do and why they exist. Faith is just an intangent need expressed for comfort & explanation. But think of the ancient Egyptians and Mayans doing so much to replicate the stars and their configurations thru symbolic architecture. Now we can send stuff to Mars and see that which only some trite old tribal god could see. We are ascendant and able to do what we thought only another more monolithic could only do.

Feel-good goodfeel is one of the cornerstones of human society. What could be done without it? That is religion's peculiar draw, all that omniscient personality-power being embraced for personal validation by affiliation, by support, by the edicts praised to receive personal benediction thru association & obeisance.

Seriously, this 'elevation' (cryptic reference to some myriad vision of some anti-god that is of the god?) is only a cultural evolution, as a newer superstition replaces the worn-out systems proven silly or merely grown tedious. It is happening now just as christianity replaced hellenism and islam replaced zoroastrianism, religions that were much more human-friendly and symbolically coherent, oddly enough. Currently, this cultural business is growing and not taken seriously but neither was that jesus character.

Last edited by TheEternalSanctuaryMan; 12-18-2012 at 04:57 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 04:06 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,701,698 times
God only intervenes when he sees fit. Like when he went to Jesus' step-daddy Joseph and told him to go to Egypt, because Herod was gonna slaughter a bunch of kids. God, of course didn't probably tell those other kids' parents, but that's besides the point.....isn't it?

Old 12-18-2012, 04:16 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,884,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Apparently Adam attended a Catholic middle school.
Some actually never come to believing in God........ even though they attend religious schools & go to church every Sunday.
Adam may have been one of those who felt he had no one to answer to in the end..............wonder what his thoughts are now.

Something is happening to our children..... I do want to know if he was on prescription medicine or if he was smoking that spice ****tt going around.
It does seem to be angry white boys who's fathers have left the house or are not being a good parent.

The connections would be interesting to see.........

Old 12-18-2012, 04:18 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,884,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You seem to know so much about God. Where would He come down on the gun control issue? Did He get his rocks off with weapons of war?
I do believe God allows the people however smart or stupid they are to make the law of the lands......

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
God only intervenes when he sees fit. Like when he went to Jesus' step-daddy Joseph and told him to go to Egypt, because Herod was gonna slaughter a bunch of kids. God, of course didn't probably tell those other kids' parents, but that's besides the point.....isn't it?
Did you forget about the blood on the doorpost...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies