Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 04:26 AM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,702 times

Advertisements

I'm highly sensitive to cigarette smoke, just being within 20 feet of someone smoking makes my nose burn, I absolutely despise being around smokers and find their habit filthy and disgusting. That said, e-cigs don't bother me one bit, there's a faint odor but not of smoke and the byproduct is just water vapor. I've even been in the same room as someone smoking one, sitting next to them, and had no discomfort. I think they're brilliant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 04:30 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Really.

Our 'lil company bans all tobacco use on the property except for a designated smoking area.

But one can pop a Nicorette stick of gum or lozenge anywhere.

But no chew.

It does have a faint odor but by no means compares to smoke.
You know there was at least one hospital that banned smoking altogether for their employees and that would include any type of stop smoking aid like the gum or ecigarette because they were testing for nicotine. How screwed up is that?

Old 12-19-2012, 05:31 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
If one can't break the cigarette addiction, I much rather them use e-cigarettes, gum, and or patches than the frequent smoke breaks. I work at a major local hospital. At one time we had a mental ward floor. The patients' had a smoking break room. We set it up with an electric cigarette lighter similar to the one in the car. Also had an extra exhaust ventilation installed to put the room in a negative pressure to draw the smoke out of the room. Stunk to high hell. Had to go into that room every time they were too hot or too cold cause they kept fooling with the thermostat. We eventually found a good setting and ripped the knob off. For such patients as these and long time chain smokers with heart conditions, I think hospitals should consider allowing e-cigarettes. It's much better for them than seeing these patients heading outside to smoke while dying of lung problems related to their smoking. Can't stand chewing tobacco. They stink, especially when they leave their spit cans and cups lying around or spit on the ground.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:07 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,171,366 times
I don't care...hell I would roll up a doobster in the office if I could.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:14 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
For such patients as these and long time chain smokers with heart conditions, I think hospitals should consider allowing e-cigarettes. .
I spent 6 days in hospital a little over a year ago. I lay or sat in my bed and vaped up a storm. Nobody said a word. Both of my cardiologists said it was fine.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:20 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,164,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
I think e-cigs are great. Everything I absolutely HATE about regular cigarettes are eliminated with e-cigs. I'm surprised it took this long for technology to advance.
Warning - I bought e-cigs awhile ago and while recharging, it caught fire.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I spent 6 days in hospital a little over a year ago. I lay or sat in my bed and vaped up a storm. Nobody said a word. Both of my cardiologists said it was fine.
Some hospitals don't allow it. Heck, some of them won't even hire employees who smoke. Kind of odd considering within living history, nurses could smoke at their desk and in some cases, patients and family could smoke in the room.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:30 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,164,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
I'm highly sensitive to cigarette smoke, just being within 20 feet of someone smoking makes my nose burn, I absolutely despise being around smokers and find their habit filthy and disgusting. That said, e-cigs don't bother me one bit, there's a faint odor but not of smoke and the byproduct is just water vapor. I've even been in the same room as someone smoking one, sitting next to them, and had no discomfort. I think they're brilliant.
Ewww, those filthy and disgusting smokers, let's just put them in a leper colony.

You know what I am highly sensitive to? Certain perfumes. I have been behind women in theaters, in stores, in elevators, on airplanes, where they apparently had the need to douse themselves in the eau du stink. It has actually triggered an asthma attack. When I was in the hospital, the night nurse wore so much perfume I called her "Nurse Stinky" and refused to let her in my room because the smell of her made me nauseous.

Can we invent electronic perfume?

Old 12-19-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Ewww, those filthy and disgusting smokers, let's just put them in a leper colony.

You know what I am highly sensitive to? Certain perfumes. I have been behind women in theaters, in stores, in elevators, on airplanes, where they apparently had the need to douse themselves in the eau du stink. It has actually triggered an asthma attack. When I was in the hospital, the night nurse wore so much perfume I called her "Nurse Stinky" and refused to let her in my room because the smell of her made me nauseous.

Can we invent electronic perfume?
Most hospitals employee policy includes limiting fragrance. If this happens again, ask to speak to the supervisor. If they refuse to get you help, get on the hospital phone and call the operator and ask for help, like speaking to a patient onbudsman or patient relations representative or nursing supervisor. Don't speak to them in anger. Try to be calm and clear with your situation. Most of the offending hospital employees are women. They're suppose to add no more than deodorant and scent from body wash. No perfume, cologne, or aftershave. Even if they use such fragrances, they need to use a small enough amount that it can't be detected from around 10 feet. Even though I work in the boiler room, I still have to go into patient rooms for repairs like the nurse call system, HVAC, lights, and plumbing. That's why I don't put on any aftershave nor cologne when going to work. My aftershave is an unscented face lotion. My fragrance is my body wash and deodorant. When i do wear cologne, I pump spray my neck once on each side. I've had to speak with the housekeeping supervisor about some of their employees' amount of perfume. One case was so strong that we could still smell the perfume strongly several minutes after she had passed through the hallway. They called her into their office. When she entered the office, they told her to go home and wash off the perfume. They couldn't stomach her being in their office because she had so much perfume on her.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:42 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Warning - I bought e-cigs awhile ago and while recharging, it caught fire.
Did you have an unvented battery?

The equipment you use is important. People really need to research what they are buying. Those cheapo gas station models suck.
Anything with a battery can overheat, or explode.

I'm vaping strawberry cheesecake liquid in my GLV right now. Yummy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies