Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 11:53 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Oh please. ALL recent mass shootings were pulled off by a younger person. Why is that???? I'll tell you why. Because they have been taught that there are no losers and everyone is a winner. Parents refuse to discipline their kids properly and use BS "time outs" that just don't work. These kids are ill prepared for the real world and act out like they see on TV and in their video games.

All "recent" mass shootings? Oh. Ok., let's look at facts and not stats that you have pulled from your rear end. In 2012, there have been 13 incidences considered "mass shootings":

Mass Shootings in 2012: Crimesider reports on this year's public shootings - Crimesider - CBS News

Ages: 59, 17, 30, 43, 40, 22, 44, 40, 23, 36, 45, 22, 20

On top of that, the murder rate peaked in this country in the early 1980s, and again in the early 1990s, before dropping off to levels that now reflect the late 1950s in terms of murder.

So what I'm seeing, is actually probably a decrease in the murder rate because (I presume, YOUR GENERATION) are aging out of their "criminal years," being more content to stay at home these days than to run amok, and today's kids actually aren't as violent as their parents and grandparents in their heydey.

.... but has actually been going down for centuries, generally:

(Probably not accounting for genocide and war)..... unless you consider the 1600s to be a liberal dynasty in America's history, you're going to have to find a new thesis to promote, because this one doesn't float.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
That what happens you give children every damn thing and they aren't allowed to be deprived or deal with any major adversity.

The first time they face it as adults some of this young people just crumble and then they lash out.

And no this isn't a liberal vs. conservative things.

It's an American middle class culture thing.

But it's really a crap thesis.

Most mass shootings this year were perpetrated by people age 30 and above. 30 isn't old, but it's not some disaffected youth.

Also, how many stories this year of middle aged and established family men have MASSACRED their own families because they lost a job, or a bad market deal, or for whatever reason?

Old 12-18-2012, 11:58 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,824,355 times
To that numbskull, I say "Nice try, Joker."

Old 12-18-2012, 12:06 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,448,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
But it's really a crap thesis.

Most mass shootings this year were perpetrated by people age 30 and above. 30 isn't old, but it's not some disaffected youth.

Also, how many stories this year of middle aged and established family men have MASSACRED their own families because they lost a job, or a bad market deal, or for whatever reason?

We have a societal problem with our youth. Suck it up and take responsibility for it if you have children. Teach them right from wrong, make sure you teach them that life isn't fair and that there ARE winners and losers in life. DO YOUR PART!

Old 12-18-2012, 12:09 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,210,591 times
I guess it wasn't a gun-free zone.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:26 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,713,615 times
The profilers being interviewed on all the stations seem to agree that these mass shootings are not a result of a sudden snap and detachment from reality. Most are carefully planned by very smart people.
There is an element of learning from those who shot before. Adam destroyed his hard drive before taking off. The next shooter will likely learn and do the same.

These shooters blame others for whatever is going on in their world. They have no self esteem and seek to go out in a blaze and be remembered. They know and relish the attention they will get after it's all over. One profiler hinted at how in some cases, it may be a competition to do more harm than the last shooter.

Thus far, there is nothing known that could have predicted what this kid planned and did. Millions of kids who don't fit in at school are referred to the school social workers for counseling, each year. With a few exceptions,. most do not go on shooting sprees.

Heck, for all we know there is something in our food or enviornment that is causing more people to short wire. I never heard of anyone being allergic to peanut butter when I went to school and now the schools are full of kids who reportedly must be educated in a peanut free enviornment or they risk dying.

Kids are exposed to more information, media and gaming violence than ever before in U.S. history. There is no way to compare how some young minds process this information. There is nothing unique about this to the U.S. other than it's easier to acquire assault weapons here, than in other industrialized nations.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
We have a societal problem with our youth. Suck it up and take responsibility for it if you have children. Teach them right from wrong, make sure you teach them that life isn't fair and that there ARE winners and losers in life. DO YOUR PART!

So did you just completely ignore every shred of rebuttal evidence posted, or are you taking the whole, "I don't care what the facts are, I have a well laid opinion and I'm sticking to it?!" route?

Society's problem is with our over 50s. Not with the youth.

Old 12-18-2012, 12:48 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,441,574 times
Quote:
Terror at Southwest Side Movie Theater, as Gunman, Patron Shot in Lobby - NewsRadio 1200 WOAI, San Antonio

What the heck is going on lately???? Let me guess, another ill prepared youngster who couldn't handle real life....

Well, well....

We have a societal problem folks..... Decades of Progressive teachings are coming home to roost.
Maybe being told there are no winners each team is equal so as not to up set the child!
Or how about all the violence kids are exposed to at a early age before they know what the actual repercussions are for killing someone in a game.
Absent parenting and the I want my kids to be my friend and I will not punish my kids crap...

Old 12-18-2012, 01:28 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,072,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Also, right wing muslims flying planes into buildings?
Absolutely. Islam is a conservative, right wing ideology.

Old 12-18-2012, 01:34 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The murder rate peaked in this country in the early 1980s, and again in the early 1990s, before dropping off to levels that now reflect the late 1950s in terms of murder.

So what I'm seeing, is actually probably a decrease in the murder rate because (I presume, YOUR GENERATION) are aging out of their "criminal years," being more content to stay at home these days than to run amok, and today's kids actually aren't as violent as their parents and grandparents in their heydey.

Perhaps, or maybe advances in medical technology and service (quicker, more technically proficient first responders; life flights for critcally wounded; etc) mean more people survive being shot. Survivors don't factor in any "murder rate" statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies