Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 09:42 AM

793 posts, read 1,419,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Australia is a good example of improved sensible legislation that had an impact on mass shootings. So the question is. . .why wouldn't such a solution work in the united states

I'm willing to guess that adopting similar legislation as Australia would have a significant impact on mass shootings. . but would not impact everyday shootings (criminals) for some time.

Though Australia destroyed lots of guns, which would be required.
I don't understand why we're going after guns, when they have such a relatively small impact on mortality in the united states.

We need to go after the big players first, like Alcohol for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2014, 09:50 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,123 times
Guns were invented to kill people, not plow fields. Period. But either is useless without human interaction. And people who own and advocate gun ownership apparently believe firearms are the answer to all personal safety concerns. The problem is that raving lunatics also believe that a gun qualifies them as judge, jury and God.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:12 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Give me a f'n break on this nonsense

More kids are hurt on school buses every year than mass shootings

Common sense gameplan (hide in place, lock doors, etc) are cheap and effective per the amount of risk.

I am sure that if we arm teachers we will see more shootings in schools, not less
When Tennessee allowed concealed carry in restaurants, a manager of a local hamburger chain was interviewed on TV and said there would definitely be more shootings. What he did not know is that some of the restaurants his company owned were just south of the state line in Mississippi. We have allowed concealed carry in restaurants for over 15 years. There have been no shootings.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:33 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
Guns were invented to kill people, not plow fields. Period. But either is useless without human interaction. And people who own and advocate gun ownership apparently believe firearms are the answer to all personal safety concerns. The problem is that raving lunatics also believe that a gun qualifies them as judge, jury and God.
Guns were invented to shoot a projectile at a high speed, in a straight line. The shooter determines if that projectile is aimed at a paper target, bird, deer or a human (bad guy preferably).

You are stereotyping or showing your ignorance. I advocate gun ownership but know fully well that it is a tool and I must practice with it. It is also my responsibility to have situation awareness (stay out of dangerous places) and conflict de-escalation (I can't start or escalate an argument).

There is a line that is clearly defined by the laws of my state that if someone does cross it, then I do get to use the appropriate force to protect myself. If in using that force, I take the aggressor's life then I am protected from both criminal and civil punishment.

Old 01-21-2014, 12:40 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The reality is that schools are safer than ever. On a national basis, there is no need for armed guards at every school. Shootings are spectacular, but rare.
School shooting use to be rare, prior to 1990, but not any more. Since Democrats created the "Gun Free School Zones" the number of school shootings has increased more than ten fold.

Why would Democrats paint targets on the backs of our children if they did not hate them and want to see them dead? Every child who has died as a result of a school shooting since 1990 can be laid at the feet of Democrats.

Gun free school zones are massacre magnets, and the liberal freaks not only know this, but dance in the streets every time a child is murdered.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:28 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,173,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
School shooting use to be rare, prior to 1990, but not any more. Since Democrats created the "Gun Free School Zones" the number of school shootings has increased more than ten fold.

Why would Democrats paint targets on the backs of our children if they did not hate them and want to see them dead? Every child who has died as a result of a school shooting since 1990 can be laid at the feet of Democrats.

Gun free school zones are massacre magnets, and the liberal freaks not only know this, but dance in the streets every time a child is murdered.
School homicides in the US are listed below. Most, but not all are shootings. Some are stabbings or explosives.

US School Violence Fast Facts - CNN.com

The deadliest decade was the 1990s (not counting the 1927 Bath explosions).
The next deadliest decade was the 2010s (skewed by Newtown), then the 2000s, then 1980s.

The rate of incidents in the current decade is lower than it was in the 1990s.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:28 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
School homicides in the US are listed below. Most, but not all are shootings. Some are stabbings or explosives.

US School Violence Fast Facts - CNN.com

The deadliest decade was the 1990s (not counting the 1927 Bath explosions).
The next deadliest decade was the 2010s (skewed by Newtown), then the 2000s, then 1980s.

The rate of incidents in the current decade is lower than it was in the 1990s.
Consider the source.

This is a far more credible source: List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You will notice the sharp increase in the number of school shootings since the Democrats implemented "Gun Free School Zones" in 1990. Democrats obviously want children to die.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:02 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
I wouldnt want to ban assault rifles, but i am not surprised that there is people out there that have ill feelings towards them and want them banned.

These are weapons used to KILL people, they are used in WARS, they are also tools used by recent mass shooters. i have shot M16s and AKs before, they are scary weapons and it is nerve-racking to be around them.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:07 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,861,118 times
Quote:
Give me a f'n break on this nonsense

More kids are hurt on school buses every year than mass shootings

Common sense gameplan (hide in place, lock doors, etc) are cheap and effective per the amount of risk.

I am sure that if we arm teachers we will see more shootings in schools, not less

John Lott's Website: The expanding list of schools that allow teachers and staff to carry guns at K-12 schools

Old 01-21-2014, 11:15 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,160 times
there is one simple reason that duma$$ democrats will never understand why banning guns will do absolutely nothing. criminals/people with bad intentions will still find ways to get guns illegally just like they are now, and the law abiding citizens of this country won't stand a chance. i know this topic is about assault rifles but if those were ever to be banned we kno that will eventually lead to trying to take away everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies