Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2012, 10:28 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,968,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I'm an NRA member, and I think they did more for gun control than they did for our side. My guess is that their heads were inflated by the record numbers of people joing right now. We need unity and compromise during this time if we ever hope t have a chance at coming away from the battle with our rights intact. I understand the resistence to discussing reform, but the NRA made a big mistake in closing the door to that today imho
Congratulations on your spot on post. The NRA is tone deaf right now, and that is politically dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 10:28 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
then what do you consider a mass shooting ? Would it have been better If they said spree killing ?
I still want to know what the weapon was and can't seem to find it anywhere. Will you report that as soon as you find out?

Old 12-21-2012, 10:29 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
What? A mass shooting has to have >3 dead?
All over the county, at that.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:30 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,739,667 times
"Even where there is restricted gun control," ........... from 12/17/12 Forbes article:

"The U.S. is the most violent core economy in terms of gun related deaths. It is also the leader in gun violence at school campuses. Yet, the U.S. does not lead the world in firearms related deaths. Countries were gangs and drugs are a problem top the list, even where there is strict gun control.
For example, back in 2003, Brazil passed laws making it illegal to own unregistered guns, to carry guns outside one’s home or business, to sell guns without a background check, or to buy a gun before the age of 25. Penalties were also increased. A year later, a large voluntary national disarmament program began and continues to this day, yielding hundreds of thousands of guns each year. In 2004, firearm homicide, which had been increasing steadily for a decade, fell 9 percent. But that has since changed in Brazil. Cities like São Paulo have seen recent outbursts in violence. Unlike the U.S., gun violence is mostly gang related and the innocent victims are usually those caught in the crossfire on the city streets outside their homes rather than in the class room."

Worst Countries For Firearms Related Deaths - Forbes

---------------------------------

We are under attack of having our freedoms taken away. Today I heard a call-in radio station program where a woman who had a very heavy Eastern European accent called in and said she had immigrated here from a communist country (she named the country but I cannot remember now).

She sounded extraordinarily concerned that Americans cannot see what is happening here in this country and that before we know it, we will be under a dictatorship because our freedoms are being eliminated. The radio host asked her what in particular she was most concerned about that she sees happening.

She said that where she came from, the technique was to divide the country. The rich were made to be dispised by those with less. Less fortunate people were led like sheep to hate those who were wealthy.

She said once the country was divided and the poorer people were convinced to hate the rich, it was easy to lead less fortunate people (which was the majority, as here in this country) to a state of communism.

She was astounded that we cannot see what's happening here.
Maybe she's right.

I know a woman whose parents are here but had grown up in Cuba, and they say the very same thing. What they saw in Cuba is now happening here. They are literally scared to death about it.

It's amazing how blind people are.

best,
toodie

Old 12-21-2012, 10:34 PM

922 posts, read 1,908,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
oh wow. quick, It's the NRA's fault!!!!! 3 cops were injured by one guy? Those cops were bad shots I guess.
No there must be a mistake, police are gun experts they are the only ones that can react in a time of crissis. They should have been able to take this guy out before anybody called 911.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:37 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
There are 200 million guns in the United States. You can ban them tomorrow, and guess what? You've just created a massive black market for guns. When something exists in that sort of quantity, and it is outlawed, the people who want it will get it. What have you accomplished? You have just removed the guns from the hands of the people that will obey the law.

Take me for example. I own several guns. I don't use them often as I live in town, but I do take my boys shooting, and have taught them how to respect a weapon. I have taught them that you can never take the bullets back, that every gun should be treated like it is loaded, and that a gun is a tool, and not a toy. My guns are locked up safe when not in use.

So far I have seen the left scoff at the idea of increased mental health and awareness. Okay, let's say we have a mentally ill person who is interested in aquiring a gun. Even if guns are banned, we have a huge black market. If this person wants one(or more) he is going to get one. You say there is no evidence of that? Want a bag of pot or some other drug? I know the parts of town to find it. I can be back in 20 minutes with it. Like other posters have stated, prostitute? Same part of town. Illegal guns now? You can get them.

There is something more deeply wrong with us than our guns. There will always be crazy people who want to harm others. Even in the most strictly controlled environment.
2011 Norway attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In The United States, we have a certain creed. That is, that the individual knows what is better for himself than the government does, that the individual has the right to make his own choices, and that the government is accountable to the individual.

I reject the idea that the government should be able to regulate the citizens access to means to protect themselves from any threat, including that of our own government. The fact that we have a government that we are largely able to trust is a blessing, but the 2nd amendment gives us the right to protect ourselves from any form of government, present or possible future. The disarming of Americans just makes it easier to impose government will.

So, you have a policy that will be completely uneffective for those that wish to acquire a gun illegally, qualified by every other attempt at prohibition; a policy that disarms law abiding citizens wishing to protect themselves from unlawful citizens; and a policy that strips Americans of their right to protect themselves from tyranny.

No thanks. Any law like that would create an unlawful citizen out of me.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:39 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,959,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Congratulations on your spot on post. The NRA is tone deaf right now, and that is politically dangerous.
Love the "tone-deaf" thing right now. Get your talking points ladies and gentlemen!

Old 12-21-2012, 10:57 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,371 times
This is a heated issue because why..? does anybody know...? The 1927 issue where the school teacher went and blew up the school cannot be compared to this...its always seeming to come up....he was a mental case yes...but had some twisted motive attached...the recent tragedy is unique because a mental jerk had virtually no affiliation with the toddlers other then an imposed vengeance possibility re his mothers hope and effort being a volunteer at the school....so the victims were a direct act of violence but imposed on the mothers translated failure.. so what does this all mean...?...besides a very outrageous and unthinkable tradegy which is NOT comparable to anything, period

it means that all of us are guilty for choices in voting for leaders who have no morals ( edit..and that has nothing to do with promoting a religion) and can keep some kind of an objective view on the digressing realities of the culture, which yes includes guns...but that is old hat...it is the nature and content of communication that will not forgive the unconscious of the people....everyone is collectively guilty as explained...thats the problem...thats why most cannot see clearly and its heated...pretty simple stuff, like everything else pretty much..guilty as charged and trying to plead. The cause is the issue...wake up there will always be mental case's and guns well...they have been around for a very long time.

Last edited by stargazzer; 12-21-2012 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: afterthought

Old 12-22-2012, 05:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
A murderer walking down a rural road and shooting three random people dead is not a mass shooting?
If we would all calm down a little some of this would stop. Don't you and the gun control pushers realize, even talking about all this gives them more ideas. Most are copy cats, that want atterntion.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:45 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
There are 200 million guns in the United States. You can ban them tomorrow, and guess what? You've just created a massive black market for guns. When something exists in that sort of quantity, and it is outlawed, the people who want it will get it. What have you accomplished? You have just removed the guns from the hands of the people that will obey the law.

Take me for example. I own several guns. I don't use them often as I live in town, but I do take my boys shooting, and have taught them how to respect a weapon. I have taught them that you can never take the bullets back, that every gun should be treated like it is loaded, and that a gun is a tool, and not a toy. My guns are locked up safe when not in use.

So far I have seen the left scoff at the idea of increased mental health and awareness. Okay, let's say we have a mentally ill person who is interested in aquiring a gun. Even if guns are banned, we have a huge black market. If this person wants one(or more) he is going to get one. You say there is no evidence of that? Want a bag of pot or some other drug? I know the parts of town to find it. I can be back in 20 minutes with it. Like other posters have stated, prostitute? Same part of town. Illegal guns now? You can get them.

There is something more deeply wrong with us than our guns. There will always be crazy people who want to harm others. Even in the most strictly controlled environment.
2011 Norway attacks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In The United States, we have a certain creed. That is, that the individual knows what is better for himself than the government does, that the individual has the right to make his own choices, and that the government is accountable to the individual.

I reject the idea that the government should be able to regulate the citizens access to means to protect themselves from any threat, including that of our own government. The fact that we have a government that we are largely able to trust is a blessing, but the 2nd amendment gives us the right to protect ourselves from any form of government, present or possible future. The disarming of Americans just makes it easier to impose government will.

So, you have a policy that will be completely uneffective for those that wish to acquire a gun illegally, qualified by every other attempt at prohibition; a policy that disarms law abiding citizens wishing to protect themselves from unlawful citizens; and a policy that strips Americans of their right to protect themselves from tyranny.

No thanks. Any law like that would create an unlawful citizen out of me.
Another 100% correct post.

The left acts like banning guns would instantly put a stop to crime and instantly cure mental illness.

Clue: Banning guns or certain guns would have zero impact on crazy people acquiring guns and going on killing sprees. They also seem to think that eveyone who owns a gun is wild-eyed skitzo like Adam.

They are the crazy ones. To even remotely think bans on guns would mellow everyone out is hard-core crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies